iPad 3 shell assembled from various suppliers’ parts [video]
They managed to scrounge up parts from various suppliers in order to assemble the shell of the device. Overall the iPad 3 looks pretty much the same as the iPad 2, except for the fact that the iPad 3 is a bit thicker with more tapered edges and has a larger opening for the camera lens.
We’ve heard everything from soup to nuts are far as rumors about this thing, but at one time there was rumor that the front glass would no longer have the famous physical home button. If these are the official parts, you can consider that rumor debunked, because M.I.C. Gadget’s iPad has a home button.
So here it is. Check out the video below. If this is, in fact, what the iPad 3 looks like, is it everything you thought it would be or were you expecting something different?
1. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
iPad is for the rich or people pretending to rich using their credit card to buy 1 hottest item that cost Apple about $200 to build and sell for $500 to $700.
2. phones522 (Posts: 94; Member since: 27 Jan 2010)
thats not true i live in a tiny apartment and my mom bought me one and im not rich at all
15. android_hitman (unregistered)
so then you forced your mom to make sacrifices to buy you this stupid gadget ... very well son
5. frydaexiii (Posts: 1279; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
iPads are for pretentious people who just want to show it off instead of actually doing work on it. and I don't think it takes Apple $200 to build it, probably only like 50 bucks or so...
7. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
actually if you bothered to look it up (which u didnt), you would have found it costs 326.60 according to issupply… this doesnt include shipping, retail, marketing, and r&d…
maybe some people want to show off their ipads, but most people use it for honest productivity and consumption..
13. frydaexiii (Posts: 1279; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
iSupply? An earlier article on Phonearena showed it took $30 to build an iPhone...an iPad is practically just an iPhone but in a larger shell with a larger screen (Which shouldn't even alot cost more than the 4S's "Retina" display) and battery. In fact, the Wifi version would be even cheaper considering it doesn't have the 3G and phone components the iPhone has.
And if people actually wanted to use it for "honest productivity", they wouldn't waste their time with an iPad which uses iTunes for even the most basic file transfers.
18. deago78 (Posts: 159; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Yea and that "larger screen" costs well over $100. Math
21. frydaexiii (Posts: 1279; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
That's if you're buying in small numbers like in tens or hundreds. At the amount of screens Apple probably orders, millions to billions, the price can easily drop to $40 - $50 each. Mass Production...
27. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
im not sure if u know, (i assume not) but the retina screen alone costs just shy of 100 i believe…
19. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Sorry ... this is lame ... this is America ... you are allowed to make a profit.
If you had a business ... and had a product ... would you sell that product at what people are willing to buy it for ... or just to break even?
Yup ... thought so ...
20. android_hitman (unregistered)
iPad2s, the casing it's 95% the same ...
3. darkvadervip (Posts: 358; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Some people are lame I've own the ipad1 and ipad2 and soon ipad3 and yes I'm middle class but rich in heart. If you feel poor don't buy the iPad buy a knock of android.
4. Lousclues (Posts: 34; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
that song made me wanna dance for some reason.
6. medicci37 (Posts: 869; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
like the iphone is a knockoff of Motorola :)
8. darktranquillity (Posts: 284; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Scraps collected from all around the world combined into Crap product=i/whatever
14. frydaexiii (Posts: 1279; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Haha, the sad part? That's probably what Apple does for R&D for the iPad 3 and iPhone 4S.
9. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
was it ever a mystery what the ipad 3 would look like?
10. joey18 (Posts: 570; Member since: 20 Jul 2010)
Apple makes better products i'm no rich i have 2 ipads 1 and two people wan quality go for apple if they wan cheap go for kindle fire
22. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
whats funny is alot of opinions are from people who NEVER used an apple product.
...and from people who NEVER used android
if you used or have both, honestly you wouldnt be speaking so far left or right about it... they both are amazing devices...
apple = quality, elegance, integration
android = customization, choice, freedom
they both pretty much share the same/similar apps...
25. conscious (banned) (Posts: 15; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Can't wait to see iPad 3... Feel sorry for all the haters on here