YouTube update starts rolling out, brings new UI and features
Other additions include a hamburger style menu, video suggestion overlays during playback and the ability to open the guide to check on your subscriptions and feeds from anywhere in the menu. The HD and CC toggle has been moved from the left corner of the video to the menu and on 7 inch tablets, there is a fully-fuctional landscape UI. You can check out pictures of the updated YouTube app in the slideshow below.
YouTube update Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Spring chickens: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison preview
26 Feb 2014, 09:37
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Samsung Galaxy S5: all you need to know
24 Feb 2014, 17:06
source: YouTube via AndroidCenter
1. deathgod (Posts: 104; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
How about the choice of black backgrounds? It's one of the main reasons I still use the older version on my tablet.
4. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
I'd prefer that option as well, Music looked much better in a black theme than the current white.
18. vincelongman (Posts: 478; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I haven't used the Android version, but I hate how on the iOS version you can't choose the video quality. It's so annoying when I skip some of the video to apart which hasn't buffered, then YouTube switches me to the lowest quality.
Also why do ads (30+ sec) fully buffer in 5 seconds (before I can skip them), and then the video slowly buffers.
20. thaiquatch (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
I don't know if you have the app McTube but it lets you choose video quality. Right now the update screwed it up with a white background and they took out the option to download videos.
27. vincelongman (Posts: 478; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I just deleted the YouTube app and Jasmine.
I like how you can read the comments while having the video playing (unlike Jasmine)
And if you go back it still remembers where you were (unlike the YouTube app)
Also its very stable (the YouTube app crashed a lot)
Only negative things is I prefer the interface of Jasmine and you couldn't swipe to change tab (and maybe that little ad).
Overall I liked McTube the most. Thank you so much :)
2. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5860; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Very welcomed update. Runs smooth and like it. Only thing I can't find is a way to make the background black. The Super AMOLED display on my phone is going to cry displaying all that white. :(
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5860; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I forgot to mention. You can watch a video and browse through the YouTube app at the same time. This update is incredible.
3. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1177; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
... nope... no update yet..(as of this post)
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5860; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You can install the APK by doing a Google search.
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5860; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Here's the APK. Just downloaded it and it works.
10. sprockkets (Posts: 849; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Not sure why they bitch so much, they have plenty of working alternatives.
6. mas11 (Posts: 1012; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Looks amazing. Makes me excited to see what Google will bring to Android 5.0
11. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 200; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
lol they didnt blurr out the persons gmail address in the screenshot.
12. taz89 (Posts: 1899; Member since: 03 May 2011)
this new youtube app is incredible and by looking at there new design language for there apps it looks like klp will be looking incredible imo
13. PootisMan (Posts: 174; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
I got it on my Nexus 4 and it's awesome! Still wishing they would implement a replying to comments feature.
14. xperia1409 (Posts: 11; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
why every updated app is always shown on the Bloody Nexus 4????
16. marbovo (Posts: 410; Member since: 16 May 2013)
because it is the latest GOOGLE smartphone
17. sprockkets (Posts: 849; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Can't even get a white nexus anymore (if that is what I think it is in pic 1)
19. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
so still no background play feature? why wont google listen to us on this one? Atleast give us a screen lock feature where we can play a music vid and not have worry about touching the screen accidently while the phone is in my pocket. Vevo has this. Why not youtube?
22. Trex95 (Posts: 499; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Still didn't get it on Nexus 4.But i hope Google fixed the crash issue.
24. deacz (Posts: 145; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
the current youtube app for tablets is horrible im still using the one that came with my transformer prime.
26. Trex95 (Posts: 499; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Great update Google i think this the best YouTube app update till date and looks stunning on Nexus 4.