What's this? Apple trademarks the word mark 280
The Maps application icon shows a Route 280 sign which happens to be the highway passing by Apple’s headquarters out in Cupertino, California. The icons image was in fact submitted along with the word 280 so at least there is some legitimate reasoning behind it.
This is just a way to ensure that nobody else will use the maps application or the Route 280 sign for their own. Apple began seeking out this trademark back in April of 2010 and this request was granted on June 28, 2011. Tell us what you think in the comments below.
source: Tech Crunch via TUAW
1. iosmaster (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 10:14 5 15
long live our master Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs our GOD and the divine idevices are our intruments to reach to him AMEN
38. corps1089 posted on 07 Jul 2011, 08:42 1 0
Chuck Norris just crotch punched your god...
3. iosmaster (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 10:23 4 9
for all android user Steve Jobs will grant u forviveness, let go to all that evil devices that make u impure, come to the light, come to Apple Come to Steve.
5. bluechrism (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 10:54 6 0
"This is just a way to ensure that nobody else will use the maps application or the Route 280 sign for their own."
Assuming the DOT isn't going to have to cough up any cash for naming the road.
39. corps1089 posted on 07 Jul 2011, 08:43 1 0
No coughing up the cash until DOT loses the inevitable lawsuit Apple will bring to bear...
6. Droid_X_Doug posted on 06 Jul 2011, 10:55 5 3
If Apple are trying to trademark the interstate highway symbol, and some bozo at the U.S. PTO let them, it will not stand past the first challenge. The interstate highway symbols are property of the U.S. - just like the U.S. flag can not be claimed as a trademark or copyright.
7. iosmaster posted on 06 Jul 2011, 11:04 4 6
Apple rules over US, about the flag its all about time Buahahhahaha
10. iosmaster posted on 06 Jul 2011, 11:26 6 2
you got no sense of humor
23. mdriftda (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 15:15 4 0
can i copyright the left hand turn single in cars and get payed royalties everytime someone turns left?
what if i sue samsung first then steal googles ideas?
40. corps1089 posted on 07 Jul 2011, 08:48 2 0
Too late! I already applied for and was awarded patents on the left pointing arrow and the "arm bent in a left turn" image in conjunction with a signalling devices for use in motorized/non-motorized/human-powered vehicles in the conditions of: onroad/offroad, underwater, underground, in-air, in-orbit, in-warpdrive, and travelling through black matter.
9. jroc74 posted on 06 Jul 2011, 11:21 6 0
Is it April 1st?
if Apple gets this patent...the Touchwiz part of the Samsung vs. Apple lawsuit should get thrown out, burned, drowned.
So other map apps will have to come up with a new icon and numbers for route 280 or pay Apple licenses? I think Google maps was out before an iOS map app. How about Mapquest and AAA maps? Oh the specifics: on a mobile device...sigh...
And some ppl wonder why some ppl are irked by Apple. This might be the first time I've heard of ANY company trying to patent something like this.
Where is the patent for the route in front of Google headquarters, or MS headquarters... Thats right, that crazy idea never crossed their minds. I know there must be specifics with this like the gesture patent that had the web abuzz recently but still...
20. taco50 (banned) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 14:25 1 2
Youre not that bright. They're patenting the logo for the app. Not the actual highway lol. Anyone can still show highway 280 on their maps. It just can't be the logo for their app.
24. lolz (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 15:42 2 0
You're not that bright either. It is not a PATENT but a TRADEMARK.
25. jroc74 posted on 06 Jul 2011, 15:44 3 0
And you figured I thought it was the actual highway ....how?
But I see what you're saying. Icon for the app. Not the icon showing it in maps. My mistake. Well.....nothing to see here....lol
12. Rich (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 11:39 4 0
i think today i will go and trademark teh word 'apple'
i grow apples. why not?
15. ravenlore (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 12:53 0 0
Because there's only FOUR I-280's...not counting 680 and 276, both of which were once designated as 280.
I kinda doubt Apple wants to be assoicated with the Quad Cities.
46. Pirate Ninja (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2011, 22:32 0 0
This is just another evil plot from apple......
After Apple get the trademark from the government, they will turnaround and file a lawsuit with the government for trademake violation on the use of markers that say 280 on their highways.
16. doob (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 13:00 4 0
That symbol is actually Interstate 280. It's in NJ (http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-280_NJ/) and I drive the entire thing every day during my commute. If I take a picture of the sign and use it on my Android phone as an icon for Maps, do you think El Jobso will come after my first born?
41. corps1089 posted on 07 Jul 2011, 08:52 2 0
He will let you keep you fistborn, c'mon, Jobs is not that ridiculous!
By the way, you're holding your firstborn wrong...
18. clevername posted on 06 Jul 2011, 13:49 4 0
THIS JUST IN!! Apple trademarks the word "trademark", sues the USPTO, asks judge for order to stop awarding patents outside of us borders.
19. ilia1986 posted on 06 Jul 2011, 14:10 3 0
I wonder - if Steve Jobs suddenly ate a Hamburger instead of his usual bowl of sushi - would Phone Arena report this as well?
21. iosmaster posted on 06 Jul 2011, 14:55 2 1
no they cant they need to pay Steve Jobs first for using his name
44. corps1089 posted on 07 Jul 2011, 08:59 2 0
Tell Steve I drew a picture that coincidently looks just like him and I am going to trademark it and use it's likeness everywhere.
22. mdriftda (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 15:13 1 0
we cant have turn by turn or flash, so you cant have a highway.
26. AwesomeMiz (banned) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 16:07 2 7
And the Fandroids start complaining. Face it people, Apple is a business protecting their products. When you have companies like Samsung who couldn't be original to save their skins, of course you have to patent your works.
Steve Jobs is the icon of smartphones because iPhone rocks.
42. corps1089 posted on 07 Jul 2011, 08:54 2 0
you had me at protecting thier products... then lost me at Samsung can't be original.
27. TreyTreyTaylor posted on 06 Jul 2011, 16:18 3 2
omg i hate apple i hate em i hate em i hate em! X(
28. Tmachaveli posted on 06 Jul 2011, 17:00 3 1
this is not a android vs iphone story so that was dumb for u to say that..im with TREY on this one i cant stand apple..and as far as sammy goes i take a SG2 or a dumb azz iphone4,5,6 or what ever the hell they want to name it any day of the week .yeah i said so what!!
30. iosmaster posted on 06 Jul 2011, 17:39 2 0
Steve Jobs they dont know what theyr saying please forgive them, help them find the light on ur iLife
32. gigasphere (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 19:40 0 3
Steve Jobs' cancer is going to his brain. Doesn't he know he can't take any of this fortune with him. He's got like 30 billion in the bank and now he's looking for ridiculous patents?? What a waste of life-time!
33. iosmaster posted on 06 Jul 2011, 20:16 2 0
call 1-800-MY-APPLE and find many other ways to make our god richer
34. Really? (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 20:50 1 0
Really? It's actually interstate 280 not route, know your roads.
35. CRICKETownz posted on 06 Jul 2011, 21:48 1 0
C'mon Apple...i carry an iP4 but this is just being ridiculous. Is it really that significant to trademark an maps icon on a phone? Smh...what's next. Should rather work on up'ing their navigation game to compete on the level of Android instead a minuscule feature like a "280".
36. CRICKETownz posted on 06 Jul 2011, 21:50 1 0
Pretty soon Apple will be submitting a case to trademark Phonearena.com b/c they post pictures of their phone on this site.
37. W Head (unregistered) posted on 06 Jul 2011, 22:00 1 2
The iOS seems to be a bit dated now, getting long in the tooth...
43. corps1089 posted on 07 Jul 2011, 08:57 2 1
Seems to be?
A bit date?
Getting long in the tooth?
iOS was not even worth copying when it was new, hasn't seen any major changes, and has been left in the dust by WebOS and Windows Phone 7 in terms of UI.
45. dallas90733 posted on 07 Jul 2011, 16:40 0 0
ha! ha!..just file for a patent for the word "patent;, can't wait to get this patent so I can sue P.T.O...today the word "patent" and tomorrow the word "America"...cease and desist letter to everyone..hahahah ( evil laughter)