Verizon activated 4 million iPhones in Q1, more than half its total smartphone sales
Verizon sold 4 million iPhones out of 7.2 million smartphones in Q1 2013. This comes after the carrier sold a record shattering 6.2 million iPhones out of 9.8 million smartphones in Q4 2012.
Interestingly, while iPhone sales grew over the year, looking at the consecutive quarters, you’d see that Android’s percentage of smartphone sales is actually higher in the first trimester. Last quarter Verizon CFO Fran Shammo admitted the remainder of smartphones (non iPhones) were mostly Android devices and we have no reason to believe something has changed in Q1 2013.
As to iPhone sales, the carrier is saying half the iPhones it sold were on 3G and the other half were 4G LTE ones. This would mean a rough 2 million iPhone 5s sold by Verizon in the first quarter.
source: Verizon Wireless
1. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Looks like 4mill people don't have a clue.
3. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
There are more average joes than smart people in this world™
7. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
More "RED Thumbs are on it's way"™
And here's 1 from TROLL™
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 9275; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Lol Troll he got you with that one bro
11. msa1988 (Posts: 407; Member since: 30 Mar 2010)
I don't understand why you guys hate the iPhone so much. Without this device Android would have a molopoly. You should thank Apple for keeping the cost to Android phones competitive.
12. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Look's like you're new to Technology and Tech world™
21. msa1988 (Posts: 407; Member since: 30 Mar 2010)
I've been using this site since 2003. Used it to check and see when the new awesome flip phones were coming out! So no, I'm not quite "fresh meat".
5. Daftama (Posts: 546; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
The problem is ppl keep on feeding verizon...if you want them to listen start a revelation. ...have millions of ppl protesr if not have millions switch from vzw in one day oh they will listen...when it comes to there money they will listen
2. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
VERIZON and T-MOBILE should be Android exclusive™
8. quakan (Posts: 1079; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
A lot of people would leave those carriers if that happened, including myself.
10. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Surely coming from an iPhone user Quakan you are™
We all no that you love Apple™
13. quakan (Posts: 1079; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
It has nothing to do with whether I like or dislike Apple, but it has everything to do with a carrier stripping away all other choices. We all know that the Big 4 wouldn't get rid of the iPhone after what they've had to go through to be able to offer it. I like being able to keep my options open and I know I wouldn't go to a carrier that only offers one platform. I know you're a Android extremist, but be realistic.
14. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
If TM VRZN didn't sell the iPhones, a further 20% in decline would'ev been good™
25. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Hey Dark look whose back? Your pal Droiddoes!
So they can stop the bullying and Litigation and let's all enjoy the tech, not banned products!
You don't get this pathetic litigation in the Hifi Tvs and car companies?
16. kindlefireowner (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I love android. But I hate android users like the ones on this page. Verizon is in the business of selling phones. If there customer's want Iphones, that's what Verizon is going to sell them.
The average housewife could care less about innovation or Samsung Galaxy 3 or 4. Like Bruce Hornsby said "That's just the way it is".
17. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
That is true for the most part. Lots of people got the iPhone 4 simply b/c it is $.99 on a 2 year contract. Most of those people talk, text, take pictures, and use facebook and twitter. Not a lot other than that.
The economy still sucks for a lot of people and a phone that cheap and simple is enticing to lots of consumers.
I'm not an iPhone fan primarily b/c of Apple's behavior as a company, but the average consumer doesn't know and/or doesn't care about that. As kindlefireowner pointed out, that is just the way it is.
The posters on this site are definitely not the "average user."
20. Rockbottom97 (Posts: 15; Member since: 08 Jan 2013)
I agree with this article. I'm sure half of them if not more were iPhone 4's. The phone's been free and all you have to say is iPhone and boom. The public is not as savy as us on this forum and most of them buy what they here on the TV, Radio, and lastly Internet.
23. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
yah exactly, It'd be interesting to see a comparison of which i phones are selling. I bet the 5 has a slight lead, but the 4 is probably selling tons.
Verizon loves this because even though the 4 is free they get their customers on that 2 year contract.
28. kindlefireowner (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Free for the customer's. Not Verizon. They still have to pay Apple. So Apple is making money. Don't let your Apple hate get in the way of common sense. That's 4 million subsides paid to Apple.
24. TheMan (Posts: 346; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
With Verizon reporting "roughly half" being 4G LTE, is this the worst sales mix to date for a current iPhone model? Anyone know offhand what the numbers were from a year ago?
29. PAPINYC (Posts: 2044; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
That's the biggest iLiE i'Ve ever read on PA.