Nokia starts pushing Windows Phone 7.8 update to Lumias
The Windows Phone 7.8 update is the last big update for the first generation of Lumia devices, as devices running on 7.5 will not get updated to Windows Phone 8. The 7.8 update brings some of the visual flare of WP8 like the new, smaller tile size that makes your home page much more customizable. New lock screen options and additional theme colors are also added.
And here are the devices that should soon get an update notification:
- Nokia Lumia 510
- Lumia 610
- Lumia 710
- Lumia 800
- Lumia 900
The update will not arrive over-the-air and you’d need to plug in your devices and fire up Zune for PC or the Windows Phone app for Mac to update.
2. Credo (Posts: 558; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Still waiting here in Belgium with my unlocked Lumia 900, tired of waiting :)
15. Credo (Posts: 558; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Finally getting 7.8 after 2 hours of trying with the disconnect trick, awesome s*** !!! :D me happy
3. djay_434 (Posts: 7; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
No update for Lumia 800 in India yet! Waiting......im waiting!
6. MobileFun.Pk (Posts: 6; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
You will get this soon, hopefully in few days.
16. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Its gonna take another 6 months, not few days!
29. haseebzahid (Posts: 1720; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
last update was rolled out in 2 months max its not android its windowsphonne and by the way i had updated to 7.8 2 months ago
23. Shubham412302 (Posts: 276; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
why dont you go to nokia care. They have started update 2 months ago
25. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
WTH? Nokia care centers are doing it since the last month or so.
7. Credo (Posts: 558; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
the disconnect trick won't work for me :( most of the people @ WPCentral have it already :(
8. snowgator (Posts: 3015; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Samsung, are you listening??? Nokia has led the way again, you are clear to follow....
9. urtard (banned) (Posts: 82; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
What are you talking about? Samsung has been releasing JB updates relentlessly. On the other hand, 7.8 is such a minor update.
12. snowgator (Posts: 3015; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Ummm... I am talking about the 7.8 update on my Samsung Focus S. Which has nothing to do with JB on any Android.
Mostly a just a little fun nod to Nokia's support. Sammy has already announced all their WP 7.5 devices will get it, and Sammy has been good to my "S". But when it comes to WP, Nokia is leading the way. So HTC and Sammy will most likely come out with support dates soon, now that Nokia is pushing all their devices.
18. joey_sfb (Posts: 1477; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
The problem with WP7 is Microsoft specification is quite on the low end making OS improvement possibility limited.
Same with old Sony Android handset that has limited memory compare with Android handset in general even with Sony ICS update the user experience did not improve.
17. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Well its cause WP sells are poor and declining, due to regrets.
That's why its taking time, you'll be waiting up to 6 months, o well there's no dev support, so you can have custom Roms, and even enjoy WP8 on the fragmented devices™®©
24. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Are you ignorant or onethibg ? How many tines did I told you that wp can side load apps and flash ROM if the phone is developer unlocked
34. Veigald (Posts: 222; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
Fragmented devices? :)
It's alright though, we know fandroids are simply angered that Nokia won't make laggy, unstable devices for you. So keep trolling if it makes you feel better!
19. KangLee (Posts: 9; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Not sure about other Samsung WP device but they have rolled out 7.8 updates for Omnia 7 this morning.
10. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
No update for my U.S. AT&T Lumia 900.
11. Kevin12 (Posts: 7; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
Where is my f**king update nokia still waiting......Att nokia lumia 900...
13. sparemail72 (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Oct 2012)
is the update only available for the unlocked phones and selected carrier?? :(( If selected carriers are true then It's giving me a heart break since I'm afraid and i doubt it that Globe Postapaid would update our phones.. :((
14. lonestrider (Posts: 78; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
So, the changes is just for customization? that smaller tiles, new colors, and new lock screen wallpapers?
Why should it be updated, then?
26. lonestrider (Posts: 78; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
but, seriously, is it have new features other than customization?
30. Hafiz (Posts: 78; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
+Ringtone maker... Bluetooth file sending etc.. :)
21. chris_t610 (Posts: 14; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I'm tired of waiting for this update to come. I remember correctly sometime November when Nokia said that 7.8 is already okay for distribution but they were waiting for the go signal from MS.
Well, MS just lost a customer in me.
I've had it with Windows phone! Everything is limited; customization, file transfer, and everything is guarded by Zune.
A pity indeed for OEMs, I was looking at the HTC 8X to be my next purchase. But thanks to MS that will not be happening anymore.
Here's to you, Ballmer: you can lick your surface and shove it up your ass!
22. ahhxd717 (Posts: 282; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
If it helps, you don't need zune for file transfer with WP8, and can use a file explorer. And OTD updates are available so Zone isn't needed. As far as customizstion, its better but oviously not up to par woth Android. At least better than iOS. But I understand that frustration, I felt it with WP7.
27. azafirster (Posts: 41; Member since: 01 May 2012)
The same problem happened when they tried to push 7.5 8773. That was a hell of an episode. Don't just shove it, scuwer the dude. It'll be another stupid waitting time again.
28. sallu (Posts: 11; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
All the Lumia users please go to Nokia Care, update for 7.8 is there from last 2 months,
I had updated my Lumia 710, and using 7.8 from last 2 months.
31. cdgoin (Posts: 335; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
Heard Dell Venue Pro (International and unlocked) are getting the upgrade now as well.
35. dreamflasher00 (Posts: 8; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Dell Venue Pro...updated !!!!
guess..this was fast...I read 31st Dec was official 7.8 release..on 31st I connect my DVP to Zune..and booom...update available !!!
36. dreamflasher00 (Posts: 8; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Dell Venue Pro ....updated !!!! love it !!!
37. Ashmeet (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Guys, when is it coming for all the Indian Lumia 800 holders??