Nokia starts pushing Windows Phone 7.8 update to Lumias
The Windows Phone 7.8 update is the last big update for the first generation of Lumia devices, as devices running on 7.5 will not get updated to Windows Phone 8. The 7.8 update brings some of the visual flare of WP8 like the new, smaller tile size that makes your home page much more customizable. New lock screen options and additional theme colors are also added.
And here are the devices that should soon get an update notification:
- Nokia Lumia 510
- Lumia 610
- Lumia 710
- Lumia 800
- Lumia 900
The update will not arrive over-the-air and you’d need to plug in your devices and fire up Zune for PC or the Windows Phone app for Mac to update.
2. Credo posted on 30 Jan 2013, 13:01 6 1
Still waiting here in Belgium with my unlocked Lumia 900, tired of waiting :)
15. Credo posted on 30 Jan 2013, 16:59 2 2
Finally getting 7.8 after 2 hours of trying with the disconnect trick, awesome s*** !!! :D me happy
3. djay_434 posted on 30 Jan 2013, 13:20 5 1
No update for Lumia 800 in India yet! Waiting......im waiting!
6. MobileFun.Pk posted on 30 Jan 2013, 13:35 4 1
You will get this soon, hopefully in few days.
29. haseebzahid posted on 31 Jan 2013, 00:50 1 1
last update was rolled out in 2 months max its not android its windowsphonne and by the way i had updated to 7.8 2 months ago
23. Shubham412302 posted on 30 Jan 2013, 20:49 2 0
why dont you go to nokia care. They have started update 2 months ago
25. No_Nonsense posted on 30 Jan 2013, 21:05 1 0
WTH? Nokia care centers are doing it since the last month or so.
7. Credo posted on 30 Jan 2013, 13:47 1 1
the disconnect trick won't work for me :( most of the people @ WPCentral have it already :(
8. snowgator posted on 30 Jan 2013, 13:58 7 5
Samsung, are you listening??? Nokia has led the way again, you are clear to follow....
9. urtard (banned) posted on 30 Jan 2013, 14:28 4 10
What are you talking about? Samsung has been releasing JB updates relentlessly. On the other hand, 7.8 is such a minor update.
12. snowgator posted on 30 Jan 2013, 16:09 8 1
Ummm... I am talking about the 7.8 update on my Samsung Focus S. Which has nothing to do with JB on any Android.
Mostly a just a little fun nod to Nokia's support. Sammy has already announced all their WP 7.5 devices will get it, and Sammy has been good to my "S". But when it comes to WP, Nokia is leading the way. So HTC and Sammy will most likely come out with support dates soon, now that Nokia is pushing all their devices.
18. joey_sfb posted on 30 Jan 2013, 18:07 0 0
The problem with WP7 is Microsoft specification is quite on the low end making OS improvement possibility limited.
Same with old Sony Android handset that has limited memory compare with Android handset in general even with Sony ICS update the user experience did not improve.
17. TROLL posted on 30 Jan 2013, 17:27 0 10
Well its cause WP sells are poor and declining, due to regrets.
That's why its taking time, you'll be waiting up to 6 months, o well there's no dev support, so you can have custom Roms, and even enjoy WP8 on the fragmented devices™®©
24. thelegend6657 posted on 30 Jan 2013, 21:02 2 0
Are you ignorant or onethibg ? How many tines did I told you that wp can side load apps and flash ROM if the phone is developer unlocked
34. Veigald posted on 31 Jan 2013, 12:53 2 0
Fragmented devices? :)
It's alright though, we know fandroids are simply angered that Nokia won't make laggy, unstable devices for you. So keep trolling if it makes you feel better!
19. KangLee posted on 30 Jan 2013, 18:36 0 0
Not sure about other Samsung WP device but they have rolled out 7.8 updates for Omnia 7 this morning.
11. Kevin12 posted on 30 Jan 2013, 15:15 3 1
Where is my f**king update nokia still waiting......Att nokia lumia 900...
13. sparemail72 posted on 30 Jan 2013, 16:42 1 1
is the update only available for the unlocked phones and selected carrier?? :(( If selected carriers are true then It's giving me a heart break since I'm afraid and i doubt it that Globe Postapaid would update our phones.. :((
14. lonestrider posted on 30 Jan 2013, 16:58 2 1
So, the changes is just for customization? that smaller tiles, new colors, and new lock screen wallpapers?
Why should it be updated, then?
26. lonestrider posted on 30 Jan 2013, 21:57 0 0
but, seriously, is it have new features other than customization?
21. chris_t610 posted on 30 Jan 2013, 19:11 0 0
I'm tired of waiting for this update to come. I remember correctly sometime November when Nokia said that 7.8 is already okay for distribution but they were waiting for the go signal from MS.
Well, MS just lost a customer in me.
I've had it with Windows phone! Everything is limited; customization, file transfer, and everything is guarded by Zune.
A pity indeed for OEMs, I was looking at the HTC 8X to be my next purchase. But thanks to MS that will not be happening anymore.
Here's to you, Ballmer: you can lick your surface and shove it up your ass!
22. ahhxd717 posted on 30 Jan 2013, 20:23 0 0
If it helps, you don't need zune for file transfer with WP8, and can use a file explorer. And OTD updates are available so Zone isn't needed. As far as customizstion, its better but oviously not up to par woth Android. At least better than iOS. But I understand that frustration, I felt it with WP7.
27. azafirster posted on 30 Jan 2013, 22:29 0 0
The same problem happened when they tried to push 7.5 8773. That was a hell of an episode. Don't just shove it, scuwer the dude. It'll be another stupid waitting time again.
28. sallu posted on 30 Jan 2013, 22:32 0 0
All the Lumia users please go to Nokia Care, update for 7.8 is there from last 2 months,
I had updated my Lumia 710, and using 7.8 from last 2 months.
31. cdgoin posted on 31 Jan 2013, 09:58 1 0
Heard Dell Venue Pro (International and unlocked) are getting the upgrade now as well.
35. dreamflasher00 posted on 04 Feb 2013, 16:51 0 0
Dell Venue Pro...updated !!!!
guess..this was fast...I read 31st Dec was official 7.8 release..on 31st I connect my DVP to Zune..and booom...update available !!!
36. dreamflasher00 posted on 04 Feb 2013, 16:52 0 0
Dell Venue Pro ....updated !!!! love it !!!
37. Ashmeet posted on 26 Mar 2013, 10:01 0 0
Guys, when is it coming for all the Indian Lumia 800 holders??