MediaTek announces world's first LTE octa-core SoC with 4K2K video capabilities
The MT6595 is pretty similar to the MT6592, which was the first true octa-core processor, but instead of eight Cortex-A7 processors, MediaTek's newest comes with something else on board. The MT6595 is powered by four Cortex-A17, ARM's latest processors, and another four ARM Cortex-A7 CPUs. This means that MediaTek's new SoC supports ARM's big.LITTLE heterogenous processing technology, which chooses which set of cores to use for a specific task in order to save as much energy as possible. The MT6595 also comes with a PowerVR Series6 graphics processing unit, manufactured by Imagination Technologies.
MediaTek boasts that the MT6595 is also the "first mobile SoC with integrated, low-power hardware support for the new H.265 Ultra HD (4K2K) video record & playback, in addition to Ultra HD video playback for H.264 & VP9". It supports 24-bit audio codecs and has a high performance DAC (digital-to-analogue converter) for headphones on board.
Mobile devices, powered by the MT6595 SoC, are expected to see the light of day by the end of 2014, the Taiwanese manufacturer states.
source: MediaTek by Engagdet
TAIWAN, Hsinchu – 11 February, 2014 – MediaTek today announces the MT6595, a premium mobile solution with the world’s first 4G LTE octa-core smartphone SOC powered by the latest Cortex-A17™ CPUs from ARM®.
The MT6595 employs ARM’s big.LITTLE™ architecture with MediaTek’s CorePilot™ technology to deliver a Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (HMP) platform that unlocks the full power of all eight cores. An advanced scheduler algorithm with adaptive thermal and interactive power management delivers superior multi-tasking performance and excellent sustained performance-per-watt for a premium mobile experience.
• Four ARM Cortex-A17™, each with significant performance improvement over previous-generation processors, plus four Cortex-A7™ CPUs
• ARM big.LITTLE™ architecture with full-system coherency performs sophisticated tasks efficiently
• Integrated Imagination Technologies PowerVR™ Series6 GPU for high-performance graphics
Integrated 4G LTE Multi-Mode Modem
• Rel. 9, Category 4 FDD and TDD LTE with data rates up to 150Mbits/s downlink and 50Mbits/s uplink
• DC-HSPA+ (42Mbits/s), TD-SCDMA and EDGE for legacy 2G/3G networks
• 30+ 3GPP RF bands support to meet operator needs worldwide
World-Class Multimedia Subsystems
• World’s first mobile SOC with integrated, low-power hardware support for the new H.265 Ultra HD (4K2K) video record & playback, in addition to Ultra HD video playback support for H.264 & VP9
• Supports 24-bit 192 kHz Hi-Fi quality audio codec with high performance digital-to-analogue converter (DAC) to head phone >110dB SNR
• 20MP camera capability and a high-definition WQXGA (2560 x 1600) display controller
• MediaTek ClearMotion™ technology eliminates motion jitter and ensures smooth video playback at 60fps on mobile devices
• MediaTek MiraVision™ technology for DTV-grade picture quality
First MediaTek Mobile Platform Supporting 802.11ac
• Comprehensive complementary connectivity solution that supports 802.11ac
• Multi-GNSS positioning systems including GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo and QZSS
• Bluetooth LE and ANT+ for ultra-low power connectivity with fitness tracking devices
World's First Multimode Wireless Charging Receiver IC
• Multi-standard inductive and resonant wireless charging functionality available
• Supported by MediaTek’s companion multimode wireless power receiver IC
"MediaTek is focused on delivering a full-range of 4G LTE platforms and the MT6595 will enable our customers to deliver premium products with advanced features to a growing market," said Jeffrey Ju, General Manager of the MediaTek Smartphone Business Unit.
"Congratulations to MediaTek on being in a leading position to implement the new ARM Cortex-A17 processor in mobile device", said Noel Hurley, Vice President and Deputy General Manager, ARM Product Division. "MediaTek has a keen understanding of the smartphone market and continues to identify innovative ways to bring a premium mobile experience to the masses."
The MT6595 platform will be commercially available by the first half of 2014, with devices expected in the second half of the year.
About MediaTek Inc.
MediaTek Inc. is a leading fabless semiconductor company for wireless communications and digital multimedia solutions. The company is a market leader and pioneer in cutting-edge SOC system solutions for wireless communications, high-definition TV, optical storage, and DVD and Blu-ray products. Founded in 1997 and listed on Taiwan Stock Exchange under the "2454" code, MediaTek is headquartered in Taiwan and has sales or research subsidiaries in Mainland China, Singapore, India, United States, Japan, Korea, Denmark, England, Sweden and Dubai. For more information, visit MediaTek’s website at www.mediatek.com.
1. rihel_95 (Posts: 229; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Now that f***ing crazy and awesome! Qualcomm gonna piss out so bad after hearing its price!
2. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8839; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Looks like MT just made Qualcomm and Samsung reconsider their pricing strategy with this one.
3. Topcat488 (Posts: 1170; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
MediaTek is quickly becoming #1 in "research & development"... :)
If Samsung was making such progress, the Samsung fans would be all over this. I know because I'm one of those fans of Samsung. Go MediaTek. "Real Octa-Core"
4. Cyberchum (Posts: 273; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
High end capabilities in low weight pockets. I'm all for it so bring it on.
6. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 775; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Such a pity that I don't need LTE yet