LG's and Samsung's Display divisions will sort out their differences outside court
As you can imagine, Samsung Display has been suing LG Display for infringing on its OLED and PLS patents, while LG Display has been counter-suing Samsung Display for infringing on its OLED patents. Go figure!
Historically, Samsung has been using AMOLED-based displays in pretty much all of its higher-end phones. For those who don't know, the cool thing about these displays is that they deliver stunning images due to their incredibly high contrast ratio and vivid colors. On the flip side, though, their color temperature is somewhat unnatural, allowing the advanced LCD screens of today to gain the advantage in this respect. It is still impossible to say which of the two technologies — AMOLED or LCD — is better, because they both have their pros and cons.
1. cezarepc (Posts: 674; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
You have to look deeper into Korean culture to understand that the betterment of their country comes first and foremost among Koreans.
2. schinnak (Posts: 84; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
yeah - thats how its done among civilised companies and speaks volume about their culture.
Something lacking in a certain US company.
When they name a company after a fruit and try to patent it - what else can you expect???
7. tedkord (Posts: 8321; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
After stealing that name from a music company themselves. Then, promising that music company they would never go into music sales in exchange for the right to use the name, the n selling music.
No honor among fruits.
4. piyath (Posts: 152; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
Admirable for sure.. A lesson to Apple I think.
5. Ray.S (Posts: 289; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
... Or maybe they have both stolen from each other and determined that it'd be cheaper to just sort things out off-court.
6. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Maybe they have maybe they haven't but it shows that each company would rather not waste money on court
8. tedkord (Posts: 8321; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Then they were mature enough to realize that, and it would still be a lesson for certain other firms.
14. roscuthiii (Posts: 2009; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
One went the AMOLED route, the other went the LCD route. Two different technologies. What exactly would they stealing from each other here?
10. kobainez (Posts: 412; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
SONY created OLED display first then samsung stole it and called it AMOLED. What a stealer..
11. sonyisdead (banned) (Posts: 30; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
AMOLED is a type of OLED you retard
12. sonyisdead (banned) (Posts: 30; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
Also, Sony didn't create the OLED display. It was Kodak and Sanyo.
15. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is expected that fandroids will applaud this way of solving things... but they are still fighting amongs themslves and until they sorted out.. we can't judge... i side with LG on this one... due to the track record fo Sammy of stealing
16. R-vjn (Posts: 172; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
I prefer the IPS LCD with its natural looking colors and better whites than the super saturated AMOLEDS..!