LG demonstrates 5-inch display with almost no bezel
LG that seems to have taken the lead in screens from Samsung is now the first to demonstrate a 5-inch display with a just 1mm thin bezel. LG demonstrated the nearly bezel-less screen at the 2013 Society for Information Display (SID) convention in Vancouver. The screen it showed was only of HD quality (presumingly 720p), but a better quality 1080p screen should be coming up soon. It was made using TFT Oxide technology making it power efficient and slim.
The model it showed featured brightness of only 250 nits - okay for indoor use but not really fit for the outdoors and even less on a sunny day. LG however says brighter versions are coming and it is bringing the display ASAP.
LG demonstrates 5-inch display with 1mm bezel Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
03 Dec 2013, 05:54
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
LG demonstrates 5-inch display with 1mm bezel
24. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1473; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
This could be on the Optimus G2 I think!?
31. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Optimus G2 will be the new champ.
32. AnTuTu (Posts: 593; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
WOW LG -----> #RESPECT (please try to introduce similar kind of device for Nexus 5 :))
Samsung ---> Please look at this panel and try to bring it on Note 3 :)
2. attaturk (Posts: 4; Member since: 14 May 2013)
Where are you suposed to rest your thumbs at using a five inch bezel free phone?
4. android_hitman (Posts: 569; Member since: 07 Jul 2010)
where do you rest your fingers on SGS4?
14. tokuzumi (Posts: 81; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
I use the sides of the device. I have done this with all phones. It won't be an issue with a smaller/non-existent bezel.
16. pulkit.tyagi (banned) (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
now finding a case that won't cover the display will be a problem !
dont u think ?
19. Leo_MC (Posts: 370; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Why would you need to "rest" your thumbs?! just put the phone into the pocket and go eat an ice cream.
5. wendygarett (unregistered)
Too bad its LG, I don't think so...
17. pulkit.tyagi (banned) (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
bashing a company ( granted its lg) for innovating is the worst form of trolling !!
6. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
Great!!! If lg can use the same screen tech on the iPad mini to avoid accidental presses then it would be awesome!
7. _Bone_ (Posts: 1741; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It's awesome, but it needs to be flexible to take side-damage that troubles the rival S4 (I dunno about the Optimus G Pro's screen resistance).
25. freebee269 (Posts: 432; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
i agree. this would be a nice build to go with a flexible display. only 1 problem with phones that have very little bezel, how does a case stay attached to it?
10. rahulz (Posts: 115; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Awesome work LG....
hope they improve it and make it available on market as soon as possible....
11. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
as I said..in terms of innovation LG is ahead of samsung. Samsung boyism attacks like applemania back in the day
23. Jason2k13 (Posts: 426; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
I managed to eat my donut while scrolling down on webpages and flipping through my albums without having to use my greasy fingers. Then when theres an incoming call, I didn't even need to use my dirty greasy hands to answer it... if thats not innovation than your an idiot.
Having a bezeless screen is pretty much prone to a damaged screen and unwanted touches on the screen.
Also the S4 pretty much had one of the smallest bezel and being the thinnest 5 inch screen out there, but since your an LG fanboy, that didn't matter to you did it?
29. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
you couldn't be more wrong.
Nokia, I'm. lg , certainly not.
You're another kid on the block screaming for more. If samsung introduced bezeless phone you would be elated. When lg did that, you start finding cons.
33. Jason2k13 (Posts: 426; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
and what makes you different bashing samsung in a non related article?
41. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
yeah thats some innovations but you know what
S4 uses sensitive screen from synaptics and the eye tracking sensor on S4 is not Samsung innovations
12. fwinst (Posts: 42; Member since: 08 May 2010)
I agree with_Bone_, this needs to be a flexible screen. this device would be WAY too fragile if made with glass.
13. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
maybe more fragile but it shows potential of LG. The're pushing the envelope each time they unveil a new type of a screen.
18. deburocks (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
awesum beauty,,if they cud add a body like htc one or nokia 925 then it will look splendid. But still it looks good. Sometimes i really wonder why lg lacks in cellphone market? They have more innovation up their sleeves thn samd@@g i guess. And they deserve to be treated better. Anyways nice try by l.g , seems like dats the type f phone screen( less bezels ) i been lookin forward to. Cheers
26. freebee269 (Posts: 432; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
LG is the #3 smartphone maker in the world behind samsung and apple. how do they lack in the cell phone market?
35. deburocks (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
hahah and what about nokia????? Is it at bott or what???? Lol dont trust these figures nt even bothered to have a dekko. Howcome its possible that a company can spend billion phones or 10 million ????? If we add other companies data as well then seriously it will surpass the entire population on earth. But thats nt the case sm companies will mislead by saying they have sold 1 million or 10 million or say 1 billion smartphones. Do we really trust these data?? Lol
38. ash29 (Posts: 55; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
LOL Nokia on n0.3??Are these 2008 figures framed as 2013??
40. freebee269 (Posts: 432; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
what are you 2 talking about? i was replying to deburocks post of lg lacking in cell phone market when in fact they arent. and yes, these numbers are to be believed. idc is reputable unlike someone trying to link the verge. and no deburocks, it doesnt pass the human population. common sense should have told you that. this figures are in the millions, not billions. read the report and use your reading comprehension please.
27. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Make a 27" 90% rgb or better monitor with no bezel and vesa mounts and I will buy 3 of them.
30. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Signs of LG Optimus G2 !!
36. behyjoon (unregistered)
they even Could remove the frame makes it edge To edge ( Like rumored Iphone 6 ) , would be more beautiful .
I'm sure it Will be improved in future .
37. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1511; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Where will u hold the phone then with no bezels, when it's on & sense ur touch every now n then?
BTW awesome work LG, keep it up and bring early in the market.
39. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Wow looks to die for!
Looks like oppo5, Sony, huawei, devices!
Phones with curves look hideous™
Candybar, edge2edge, sharp corners looks awesome®