Apple’s new iOS Maps mistakes the names of oceans, asks you to jump off a bridge
Absurd mistakes in the new Apple maps Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
03 Dec 2013, 05:54
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
Living with the LG G2: a long-term review
03 Dec 2013, 07:53
Absurd mistakes in the new Apple maps
1. See those labels? Continents are mistaken for oceans, and the Arctic Ocean is just between Asia and Australia!
2. Jump off a bridge, why not!
79. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 4726; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Expect more of these kinds of stories as iOS v. 6 sees the light of day. Remember all of the stories that developed after the covers were removed from Siri?
113. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
it is iOceans.....they are situated iBetter.....because the new slogan of Apple is going to be "we will bring you every Ocean to your doors....who else can do that?"
2. marinbuyukliev (Posts: 11; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
FAIL FAIL FAIL AGAIN AND AGAIN STOP APPLE YOU SUCKS KILL YOURSELF PLC
74. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
iOS 6 hasn't even come out yet. I could see if this was in the final release, but my God, is it really a big deal at this moment? Pretty much given up on this site. There is no decent conversation anymore. I don't even think you guys come here for phone news...just to trash Apple.
The funniest thing of all...look at the front page. Most comments are on Apple topics. It's like you guys don't really even care about Android to talk about it.
Oh well...enjoy guys. It's been real.
87. Whateverman (Posts: 3064; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Jeff, you know I'd hate to see you go. I've taken a few breaks from PA myself, but what I always try to do(sometimes very unsuccessfully) is ignore the flame bait. There are going to be people who just flat out HATE Apple or HATE Android/Google on just about every tech site, just different user names.
107. zhypher_23 (Posts: 194; Member since: 04 Jun 2012)
Apple boys TT more than Android boys do, we're doing 1/10 damage of what Apple Fans do :)
84. Chronos (Posts: 257; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
PLC? Your comment fails, fails, fails, and fails again. Stop marinbuyukliev, you suck.
3. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I guess for Apple fans it is not a mistakes.
56. DawsonLee (Posts: 25; Member since: 03 Apr 2012)
Your comment sir, is epic, and rightly so, thumbs up!
73. mas11 (Posts: 1003; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Then we are going to see a sharp increase in the number of ios user deaths due to driving off bridges.
106. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5173; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
because they can't SPELL like their iOS
5. markhsu (Posts: 11; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
LOL weren't people talking about how terrible Google navigation was and that finally apple would do it right? LOL should have stuck with Google instead of spending all that money.
69. christianqwerty (Posts: 456; Member since: 05 May 2011)
Um.. This is BETA, it's not a final release....
76. mas11 (Posts: 1003; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
So is SIRI in iOS 5, but people still use it like a finished product
86. Chronos (Posts: 257; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
That still doesn't mean it's not in beta. How people use it is irrelevant.
112. roscuthiii (Posts: 1602; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Beta my ass. Beta releases are limited in scope so beta testers are able to identify bugs for fixing before release to the mass market. Any other use of the term "beta" by anyone is disingenuous and only covering up product fallacies. All products are continuously being upgraded and updated so we may as well slap a beta disclaimer on absolutely everything.
Siri, being integrated into iOS, is no beta product.
95. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 354; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Now iDon't have to drive the herd on a long walk off a short pier.. their iOS devices will do that for us!!!
6. RangersK (Posts: 59; Member since: 15 May 2012)
Apple: "We're under global warming and it's changed everything."
39. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 639; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Lol, this is so funny.
Im glad, cos im not gonna get voice turn by turn cos i have an iPhone 4 without the S
7. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Hey it's not the final release though. Plus it's tom tom that's powering the new maps. It's something they will fix hopefully...
44. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 639; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Im so perplexed ryt now. I thought Apple doesnt hype on somethin unless it works. Apple doesnt release anything to nobody unless it works
Can we stop makin xcuses for Apple, for once. Google maps took years to get to where it is now, how can Apple have top of the range maps whn Nokia, google and the rest have bn in d business for like, ever?
54. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
I just think it will get updated in the final release. But yeah I agree, google maps is the best, and Nokia maps is pretty good. All I was saying is not just apple it's TomTom's directions.
8. tedkord (Posts: 3409; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It's not released yet, right? I would hope Apple would have most bugs worked out by release.
Now, if it releases in this condition, I'll join everyone in a good laugh at Apple.
9. vishu9 (Posts: 226; Member since: 03 Mar 2011)
OMG! Do we have to argue about earth's geography with the sheep now?
PS: Sheeps go wherever they're pointed :P
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Do we have to argue about earth's geography with the sheep now?"
+1 for you. :D
23. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I think apple is trying to kill its rabbid fanbase.
go to golden gate bridge. go 100 feet on bridge, turn right and keep going.
25. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Does anyone have seen today taco50 and gallitoking ? :(
37. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i've talked to gallito, though he needs to be careful using tomtom/apple nav on his road trip to california.
Taco.. well, does anyone care?
41. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I am here... and trust this has not been release so it means nothing.. ok so calm down,...
48. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 639; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
so WHEN IT IS REALSED, WHAT WILL BE YO NEXT XCUSE?
IT IS IN BETA?
give it up galito, ur making d rest of us look stupid, Apple is getting away with all these sort of things cos we claim we are happy with their products when we kno we are not. I have friends with iPhone and one thing they so want its drag n drop frm their PCs, bluetooth file transfer and so on, things that are available on a samsung 2008 cellphone.
Only if we complain and tell Apple what we need. Apple shoult start bn a CONSUMER ORIENTATION company, to satisfy the consumers needs and what and stop bn a SALES ORIENTATION, PRODUCTION ORIENTATION and PRODUCT ORIENTATION company. JUST SAYING
93. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
what I don't get is.. why your friend's happiness depends on a carrier. good thing about the iphone. sell it. and buy Android. period but behave like a baby saying you are not happy.. I left Android when I was not happy.. blue tooth transfer?? I had Android for 2+ years never had the necessity but if you do. then Apple is not for you... but if you still don't know what Apple is about... don't fool yourself.. and switch...
speaking of excuses?. if you are not happy with Apple why haven't you left..
94. good2great (Posts: 952; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
dude what are you talkin about???
no body is hyping up crap but people on PA... there is no where on the news or TV that apple has bragged about a functioning maps service...
its all in here...
get of gallito's back bruh. he didnt say anything that deserved a thumbs down
you are just as worse as the android users trolling iFan comments...
but i DO agree with you about the complaint system... thats the only way we get what we want... that satisfaction survey shouldn't be as high as it is...
55. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Nope... there skiving of disgrace and humiliation....
100. jove39 (Posts: 1130; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
And then when in water...last words of Siri...We are re-routing...remember that Mayhem commercial...I can totally see that happening with iSh33p
10. miguel6632 (Posts: 21; Member since: 25 May 2012)
APPLE FAIL AGAIN, google maps looks a lot better lol even if its a beta it still wont compete with google sorry
11. ShibeshMehrotra (Posts: 9; Member since: 03 Apr 2012)
No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. It's a new and improved, revolutionary way of navigating. Why be stuck in traffic, when you can go jump off a bridge, onto a moving vehicle, vis-a-vis, Bruce Willis? And oceans, come on, it's just a revolutionary new way of thinking, even Shakespeare agreed with Apple here, "What's in a name?"
14. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
It's funny because I watched Die Hard last night.
13. jmoita2 (Posts: 929; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Apple tried to reinvent the wheel...and made it square!!!
Funny to see all the sheep hiding in the shadows on this one...lol!!!
15. DWillyEfect (Posts: 52; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
If Siri jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?
16. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Is it just me or is 90% of the poster within this artical stupid!!! iOS6 is in beta... meaning... Its not out yet for the mass. Beta is like testing.... meaning iOS6 will still have bugs that will be resolved before release.... I hate Stupid haters!!!
18. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Before you all bash me... try to formulate an opinion with intelegent arguments... Then we can debate!
24. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea, its totally beta, but those are mistakes that no one should make. If this thing is really powered by TomTom that means it has experienced people at the wheel. A second grader shouldnt make that mistake, much less people that make map apps for a living.
which is why its so funny.
28. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3394; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yes it's funny but sometimes they do these things on purpose to see if their fixes do really work for future problems down the road.
I am not condoning this at all but it could have been done intentionally, trust me I know. My old man's company does this in their alpha & beta stages of their programming just to see if the fixes they have implemented will work in the future when REAL problems arise.
We just don't know, but it seems to be a common practice though. Also the level of these mistakes kind of implies this, I think we all knew the names of the oceans in kindergarten right? & the bridge thing does seem very deliberate ESPECIALLY from Tom Tom. I am just saying. lol
38. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea, but what your talking about is more alpha stuff than beta stuff. by the time its in beta it should be "close" to ready. intentional mistakes for update checks are more alpha 1 stuff. :)
43. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
look Google maps have taken me to unexistent roads.. so Google maps aint perfect either
47. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
such is true. But most of those roads have been long fixed. I remember when I was in DC a few years ago, it kept telling me to go down the wrong way of a 1 way street.
There is no such thing as perfect, but the basics like naming the ocean should be a given.
Even you cant say you didnt giggle a little bit at the ocean part, gallito.
63. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
thats the Apple humor.. remember the new Apple HQ looks like a spaceship.. but no androids allow inside. .go figure
57. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Lier... have some self-respect.. you are all liers and Disgrace to publics...
62. bayusuputra (Posts: 931; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
there are millions of roads on earth, but only a handful of oceans and continents..
Google bound to have mistakes in their Maps, but to mixed up oceans and continents? that's plainly stupid.. That is the most basic, even that shouldn't be gotten wrong in alpha release..
I could forgive the jumping off bridge, that's normal, expected for a Beta release.. but continents? that's like so WTF%*k?!
90. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
trust me no sailor will get lost in the ocean because of that. on the other hand Google makes you take inexistence roads.. in my opinion that's worse..
72. kanagadeepan (Posts: 517; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Yes... Please follow the Map in iOS6 then....
49. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3394; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yes and no. This could be early beta. We don't know nor we can pretend to know. I really doubt that with these kinds of mistakes the app is in the late stages of development. (If it is then it will be a sorry app.)
Look it's taking me A LOT to defend Apple on this, as you know I am & love Mr. Android. To me it just looks like it's premeditated & on purpose. I mean I am just giving benefit of doubt.
Who knows I could be 100% wrong & Apple has a bunch of iDiots working on their maps. lol
61. remixfa (Posts: 13882; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
considering tom-tom is involved and is supposedly in beta stage to be released to the public for final bug fixes... im going to go with that last line. lol. I just dont see any other way that the absolute basics like proper names of oceans arent 100% right yet.
the driving off a bridge thing is understandable.. thats a calculation error somewhere. not knowing the artic ocean isnt near asia is just plain funny.