Apple patents triple-lens, triple-sensor camera system
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
1. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
REVOLUTIONARY! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
12. quakan (Posts: 990; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Yawn. Don't you guys get tired of that joke? Oh wait, you're the first comment and looking for thumbs up...never mind.
15. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4162; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Exactly my point. People on this site are way too thirsty for thumbs ups but in reality it serves absolutely no purpose. And the Revolutionary! stuff isn't even considered a joke anymore is how overused it is.
2. sgtdisturbed47 (Posts: 94; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
REVOLUTIONARY! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
16. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4162; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Log off the site and don't come back until you're ready to talk about technology. The most annoying joke on this site.
3. aelliott (Posts: 25; Member since: 01 Oct 2010)
"Smartphones have essentially replaced point-and-shoot cameras in the marketplace as far as usage, but they haven't yet been able to fully match point-and-shoots as far as image quality."
Wrong! NOKIA's 808 Pureview and Lumia 1020 both match at least mid-range point-and-shoot cameras.
6. TheLolGuy (Posts: 449; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Are you kidding? Look at the Lumia 1020. Can you honestly call that bulky abomination a smartphone?
9. ksprelude01 (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Have you even picked up or used the 1020?.....I've messed with it on and off for a week. It might have some wieght to it but it feels great in the hand. And for the tech that camera brings to that phone the little bit that it sticks out of the back of the phone is more than with it to be able to take the quality of photos it does take.
4. Sauce (Posts: 426; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
I like this concept a lot and am also excited for the interesting future of all smartphone camera technology.
5. TheLolGuy (Posts: 449; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Shame on me for not reading the article yet, but after seeing the title I'm waiting for someone to say Ultra Pixel ripoff...
7. tedkord (Posts: 3400; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
If this is new and not another Apple innovation that's just a rehash on something already done, then this is patent worthy.
10. chemhaz (Posts: 145; Member since: 04 May 2012)
This statement sums it up "no guarantee we will ever see it in a real device" Apple strategy if we can't build it we'll patent it so on other company can either !
27. Just.Me (Posts: 23; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
Good point. Considering apple does not build its own hardware
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5167; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Are you serious? another bogus patent
18. protozeloz (Posts: 5187; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Many default to the comment section in here...
13. zig8100 (Posts: 93; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
How do u patent something you will never use? It's not like they going to stop another company from doing the same. They can just one up them and use quad lens and sensors. Stupid patent trolls.
14. tedkord (Posts: 3400; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Apple are very careful to word their patent applications so as to cover any possible permutation. I'm sure any multiple lens/sensor is covered.
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5167; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
they also patent then sue someone who thinks anyone would copy this patent
20. AfterShock (Posts: 519; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
If you can't make a working version, there should be no patent awarded.
21. ddeath (Posts: 145; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
Is this even a working patent or just some concept conjured up in a meeting room again? If anyone can patent an idea without even making it work physically, and someone else made a similar prototype that works, the patent should be awarded to the person who made the working prototype. With so many talented people out there, there will be people with similar concept of ideas in the same field.
22. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 435; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
If Apple did make it, you won't know until it is announced. Go look at everything they filed a patent for in 2006, then voila, iPhone. It's not so common for companies to show off new hardware before the actual patent filing.
23. sprockkets (Posts: 667; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Wow, apple reinvented the 3 color CCD.
24. nothingmuch (Posts: 84; Member since: 03 May 2013)
This is BS, Apple is normally known for patents like rounded corner iphones, light weight laptops w/ a big battery, detailed icons w/round edges, ya know stupid stuff!! All of a sudden they patent camera lenses now... I know that Apple doesnt put that much R&D into hardware or the iphone would look better by now (looks like a gumby with no arms or legs)... eh, ok but camera lenses, if they had a point and shoot on the market I would understand but I don't remember seeing any Mac or Apple camera last time I went to best buy!! Seems to me that Apple wants to patent any and all hypothetical ideas that pertains to a handset device even if unexecuted to their own product. I agree with most other comments here that a bunch of these unrealistic Apple patents are just basically for future law suits and nothing else! They need to produce a working model not an idea! USPTO needs to be recommissioned and do away with "ideas" or give a short deadline to produce a working model and if one cannot be transpired then it is thrown out and to whom it may concern is penalized for false implementation.... yeh that would settle alot of this BS!
26. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1511; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Triple-lens, triple-sensor camera system are good but why patents?
30. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1511; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Still Samsung will copy, they know how to copy it better...
28. Just.Me (Posts: 23; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
I'm going to patent the concept of a flying object going to mars and back ( i'll never use it as i don't make rockets or anything ) But when nassa makes something that can go to mars and back, they must PAY PAY PAY
31. Muzhhur (Posts: 214; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Omg They just have invented what Kodac did it before!!!!!!