The Samsung Galaxy S5 is the first to support PayPal's new fingerprint-authorized payments
This particular payment system is the first commercial implementation of a new authorization protocol developed by the FIDO Alliance, a security group of technological companies that include BlackBerry, Google, Lenovo, MasterCard, Microsoft, and PayPal. The protocol is designed so that a record of your fingerprint is never transmitted to an outside party. Instead, data from the fingerprint reader is used to generate a cryptographic keyc which is combined with a second key from the device’s cryptographic chip to make a third key. This way, the final key can’t be used to somehow "decode" the fingerprint that was used to generate it.
The Galaxy S5 is the first and only consumer device so far that supports PayPal’s FIDO-based authorization system. PayPal isn't saying when other devices will follow suit, but industry representatives assert that fingerprint readers will become ubiquitous in near-future smart-devices.
source: MIT Technology Review
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8575; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Only a few more days until this phone will be in my hand.
3. giri.1131 (Posts: 16; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
Hey papasmurf please message me your short review buddy . . am looking forward to the galaxy s5 too. If you could message me your review here it will be totally fab :)
14. true1984 (Posts: 592; Member since: 23 May 2012)
yeah i want to see how it performs in daily usage as well
4. Aywhy93 (banned) (Posts: 49; Member since: 03 Apr 2014)
I cant wait to have this phone too. Kindly let me know the pros and cons of it when you have it
15. shuaibhere (Posts: 1518; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Wait for a month papa...something really big is coming from samsung....
21. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 977; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Nice try iboy:-)
There will be always something big coming from Samsung. Should we stop buying samsung devices because of that. LOL
6. mitoita (Posts: 17; Member since: 03 Apr 2014)
WHY rules? is a cheap piece of plastik.......samsung i9506 is better in performance and is thiner ;)
P.S. iphone 5s have fingerprint sensor since october 2014......... samsung just copy them.
plese tell me in the future iff you use that heart rate minitor........ i dont think is a good feature for a phone.
7. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
ip67 + fingerprint + heart rate monitor + the best display ever ( read + excellent build quality ( check the drop test, i got run onto by an SUV) + 4K UHD video recording + IR blaster + excellent battery life + all this and it's still 8 mm thin and many other stuff. Please tell me, who has these? every manufacturer has some of these and fanboys make excuses why it doesn't have the others.
8. Carlitos (Posts: 331; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
And let's not forget the Camera. Its has more megapixels that its predecessor, while incorporating this new Isocell technology that so far proves to be phenomenal. As well as a great improvement in low light photos.
And this new power saving mode is sick.
12. true1984 (Posts: 592; Member since: 23 May 2012)
i would like to see if the power saving mode is like the m8's
18. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
it has ultra power saving mode.
19. true1984 (Posts: 592; Member since: 23 May 2012)
so does the m8. but can it beat 15 hours on 5% battery?
11. true1984 (Posts: 592; Member since: 23 May 2012)
great specs, although i cant see how useful the heart rate monitor will be and its a great phone, i know it, you know it, and so does everyone else. dont feed the trolls
10. shuaibhere (Posts: 1518; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Plastic is fantastic to me....
I don't like cheap soda can aluminium.....
13. true1984 (Posts: 592; Member since: 23 May 2012)
i'm not sure you know how aluminum alloy works...
17. pept68 (Posts: 16; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Really!!! So are you saying apple was the first with a finger print scanner?
Motorola atrix had it 2 years ago... so apple copied motorola, and now you believe everyone is coping apple.
WOW Just WOW!!!
23. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 977; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
By the way , we normal ppl don't care much about FPS on S5, even if it's better than apple's FPS.
We even don't count it .
S5 has so much more (best) important and many features than this.
For ifans this is the only "magic" this year, thogh.:-)
22. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 977; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Cheap plastic phone???:-)
Are you OK??
Samsung high-end devices always have higher production price(BOM), than your iphones. Check it out.
9. deewinc (Posts: 158; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Hahaha, iPhone will patent this soon and sue Samsung and Paypal. The "Next Big Thing"
16. fuelband (Posts: 22; Member since: 19 Jul 2013)
I really hope Samsung wins because if Apple wins then its gonna be us consumers who will lose.
20. Denco (Posts: 35; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Way to go Samsung! This is just one of the real value features, like battery life, water-resistance and best-in-class display quality that Galaxy S5 boasts of, that consumers should care about beyond just 'all-metal' dressing.
24. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 977; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
I don't even count this as real value feature. Even if it's better than apple's FPS.
About the other features you are right though. Plus best Wi-Fi , and new tech camera
25. mitoita (Posts: 17; Member since: 03 Apr 2014)
i dont belive that all of you prefer a cheap plastic instead of a luxury aluminium.
Apple have a place in hystory for their products.....5s is the only phone with 64 bit processor afte 1 year........ and the os is great.... but depends on the person.
i personaly use a samsung I9506 ( i think is the best phone made by samsung) and an iphone 5s.
the iphone never block but but with samsung i haved some issues ( is blocking when im playng games, is overheat, and the ambient sensor is not so great....).
overall im more satisfy with iphone 5s.