Study shows Apple iPhone to be 300% more reliable than Samsung models
40% of the issues that owners reported with their Samsung built model. Nokia was next on the reliability list, with the Apple iPhone about 500% more reliable. The main issue with handsets from the Finnish based manufacturer is screen lag. And at the bottom of the report, Motorola. Apple's score was 2600% greater than that of the DROID manufacturer, which was cited for non-removable bloatware and issues with the touchscreen.
The report also listed some positive and negative attributes of each firm's devices. For example, Apple was credited for having a "Dead simple UI," but was knocked for its lack of customization. Motorola's positives were its great battery life and build quality while getting knocked for its camera and issues with the touchscreen. Samsung was lauded for great battery life and great screens, but was whacked for its microphone problems. Nokia's pros included its touchscreens while the cons list included poor battery life, lack of apps and laggy response.
source: FixYa via BGR
FixYa's report on smartphone reliability
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5482; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
- There is a bunch of different screen problems like a flickering, bad screen sensitivity, even yellow marks on the screen or flashing.
- There is bunch of complaints about antenna problems.
- There is complaints about scracthes and dents out of the box.
- There is complaints about Ambient Light Sensor problems.
- There is complaints about various sound problems.
- There is complaints about purple tints in pictures (a.k.a. "Purpel Halo").
- There is complaints about iPhone 5 scratches out of the box.
- There is complaints about WiFi problems.
- There is complaints about keyboard problems.
- There is even a problem called "Light Leak".
- There is glitch called "Rapid Diagonal Swiping".
- There is complaints abou soft, bendy frame.
- There is bug called "Do Not Disturb" which is still not fixed.
I even not talking about Apple Maps problems. Also look what is happening at the moment, Apple is releasing update after update to fix some bugs, but they are even unable to do that properly because each update in exchange just brings few more bugs...
So much mess for a SINGLE device - iPhone 5 !!!
And study shows that Apple iPhone to be 300% more reliable ???
Yeah, right "study"... :D
64. darkkjedii (Posts: 11907; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Please mention the cracks along the sides of the GS3, and the one's between the speaker and camera. Ohhh, and the 3 month bricking problem Samsung had to fix... Just to name a few.
152. quakan (Posts: 1199; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
"The scoring was based on 722,558 combined problems and found that the Apple iPhone was the most reliable smartphone with a score about 300% higher than the runner-up, Samsung."
You're spewing off information that has affected a small minority of iPhone 5 owners. Your bias is showing by the way. That survey is way more credible than any Android, Apple, or other fanboy troll. WE KNOW ALL FANBOYS DEFEND THEIR FAVORITE PRODUCTS TO THE DEATH.
45. -box- (Posts: 3820; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Here's a fix: everyone go to fixya's website and put in complaints for any issue you can think of iphone-related. It'll skew the results closer to reality from these baloney statistics
61. Hemoroid (Posts: 72; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
This article is a shame! I wont you iphonearena to remove it! Its not fair to Sammy! Samsung have the faster and most reliable octacore processor!
Studies has shown that everyone att phonearena is working for apple!!!
67. darkkjedii (Posts: 11907; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude LMAOOOOO!!! Slow down, and type better... Please???
72. Hemoroid (Posts: 72; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Only people without arguments are complaining about typing! Maybe you should buy an Sammy GS3! Why are u hating Sammy som much!!???
77. darkkjedii (Posts: 11907; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Buy an Sammy? How about buy a Sammy. Also I'm not hating on Sammy som much, and I don't need an S3... I have the Note 2 to go along with my iPhone 5. I simply corrected you, so you wouldn't continue to type like a 3 year old dude. I do not hate Sammy, as a matter of fact I'm a huge Samsung fan. However Samsung isn't perfect, and it's device's do have their fair share of problem's/issue's.
92. lolioslol (banned) (Posts: 182; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
Yeah, u r 1 2 tlk m i rite? I am thoroughly convinced you just learned how to spell and form a coherent sentence last month. And then threw that right out the window.
153. quakan (Posts: 1199; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
YOU DO REALIZE THAT OCTACORE ISN'T IN THE S3!? Please present some real facts to your arguments.
97. Twisted247 (Posts: 242; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
This study is bunk, How can they even compare a Company like Samsung to a company like apple? Apple has what 6 devices, while Samsung has over a hundred I'm sure. So this is a pointless article enough said. But hey it shows the iphone coming out on top so iphonearena publishes it.
2. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 259; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
no antennagate? well i guess they were holding the iphones as instructed by apple...
16. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
why people belive so much in apple???
even if you bought it spend money on buying cases and accesories of it and repair it frequently...you can buy so many great android phones in money spending on icrap......
and remember how a women got imirror as ipad for the buying it low...........
any way you are right no one is perfect even apple.....
76. Hemoroid (Posts: 72; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
This must be an conspiracy against Sammy! Im having a s3 for 3 weeks and have never had any problems! Iphonearena!?!
Alan is an Applefanboy!! I can't take this site serious anymore!
3. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Kudos to Apple.
And suck on that, to Nokia trolls/Samsung haters
5. ZayZay (Posts: 561; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
Are you saying suck on that to people who hate Samsung?
19. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Yes, because this shows Samsung is more reliable than Nokia and other non-Apple brands
4. windroid (unregistered)
A phone with 23% of their screen cracked is more reliable?
27. stealthd (Posts: 969; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
It's the same glass on every smartphone, and since other brands have been trending towards larger screens, larger screen = larger surface area = easier to break. I've seen just as many cracked Evo's and Droids as iPhones, probably more.
80. Commentator (Posts: 2436; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Your comment is useless without statistics on Samsung phones as well, FYI.
154. quakan (Posts: 1199; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
So people's clumsiness is Apple's fault? Also other people use that same Corning Gorilla glass as well, so that's Corning's problem.
6. FrostyDanny (Posts: 90; Member since: 15 Jul 2012)
This is bs study....I have many friends that have iphones almost all and they all complain about freezing, battery life, and their phone breaking having to pay extra for repairs.
40. andro. (Posts: 1960; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Holding the lock button and home button together for 10-12 seconds to unfreeze and iphone is something which we have to do for customers many many times a week.
81. darkkjedii (Posts: 11907; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Awwwww shutup! You read the article, 300% sonnn!!!
7. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1047; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Well they only make one phone, it better be reliable.
8. digitalw (Posts: 52; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
How a "Lack Of New Feautures" or or "non-removable bloatware" can be connected to reliability?
So if, i'm not wrong, then Darc, u r wrong :) And how apple managed to do this score when 25% of iPhones have a sreen that is cracked?!
Those statistics are puted wrong.
Just like: If you eat eggs, you will die in plain crash. Why? Statics shows that every pilot of a plane, at least once in their live has consumed an egg!
30. ojdidit84 (Posts: 377; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
I was thinking the same thing myself. Most of the things listed have absolutely nothing to do with how reliable a phone is. This "study" is pretty pointless.
83. darkkjedii (Posts: 11907; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It's only pointless because Samsung didn't win, if they'd won you'd be having a huge "O" right about now. Sooo shhhhhhhh...
117. ojdidit84 (Posts: 377; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
Dude, shut up. If you knew anything about me, you'd know that I am NOT the greatest fan of Samsung phones. I hate Samsung. With a passion.
Weren't you the guy praising me last week in that Apple article where I had a rant about the Android fanboy that was going into every single Apple article and posting useless nonsense?
On to the point on hand, I fail to see where "poor app ecosytem, preinstalled apps, lack of new features & no customizablity" have anything to do with the RELIABILITY of a smartphone.
Now go take your 9th grade, mean girls, Android bashing on to someone who gives a couple f**ks.
120. ojdidit84 (Posts: 377; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
Also, the person at BGR that called themselves doing some "math" was incorrect. It's 187%, not 300%.
9. Taters (Posts: 3259; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
This statistic pulling is worse than the ones they put on product labels in grocery stores.
"5x more better than the leading brand!"
Fine print. 5x better in viscosity.
If they weeded out all the $2 dollar prepaid Samsung phones, the iPhone would get slaughtered.
10. jan25 (Posts: 405; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
the iPhone 5 is my first iPhone and so far i am very pleased with battery, i am not sure about other models though
11. clayton (Posts: 16; Member since: 15 Jun 2012)
I don't care. I have a galaxy note 2, and its a capable device.
12. Ninetysix (Posts: 1659; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Need more tears from Samsung fanboys.
In the meantime, you Samsung fanboys can read about dying S3s everyday from SDS that is still happening.
450+ thread in XDA.
126. s.mrabet (Posts: 117; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I hope my s3 dies because of that, because i will get a new one for free! and that in 2 years, unlike apple wich gives 1 year....
14. captainqtp (Posts: 16; Member since: 25 Jun 2010)
Lol, Nokia gets dinged on a reliability for a "Poor App Ecosystem".
23. windroid (unregistered)
This is a fantastic "Study"... number of apps related to reliability...
18. anogueira45 (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
Fake. My family and I have several Apple products (iPhones 3GS, 4, 4S, Ipad and Ipods) and almost all broke or had serious flaws. My Samsung S i and S III continues to run without problems.
21. Ninetysix (Posts: 1659; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Oh man..too bad your family didn't participate in the study. Samsung would have been #1!
22. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
More reliable, yes.
4 times more reliable, I don't think so.
25. buccob (Posts: 1480; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I wonder if they are separating just brands or actual devices model...
They should compare reliability between an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S 3, for example...
I would like to see how Sony fares here...
73. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 194; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
I don't think Sony would be anywhere in the results bro. Since they don't make either phone trolol
29. Bernoulli (Posts: 1451; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
How on earth is an I$heep more reliable than a nokia lumia 920?!
32. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Ok fine but i don't care as Apple costs me 100% more than Samsung in my country ... and still keeps me jailed to itunes crap ... and how does it matter when i have to replace my phone e very 2-3 years. Good apple sponsored propaganda but at least now they have started seeing Samsung in same light as apple .. thanks to billion dollar ad campaign initiated by Apple in COURT :)
33. apple.SPPIN.doctor (banned) (Posts: 3; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
OH MY GOD.
APPLE PR trying to persuade people NOT to buy samsung handset with FUD.
C'mon Apple, don't do something this low
Patent War, FUD?? really???
PLEASE COMPETE with honesty.
34. Sniggly (Posts: 7113; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
So this isn't a reliability report so much as a "things people bitch about" report.
What a load of horse sh.it.
42. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1578; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
That's kinda what I got out of it. It looked like a reliability report until they mentioned Moto being low rated for bloatware. I have never heard of bloatware taking out a phone before.
35. bubbadoes (Posts: 337; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Lets see maps. Wifi connect issue... Batt drain issue on 4s..3 patches to ios 6 and above in the last two weeks alone and its still noy fixed. Sounds pretty stable to me.. i dont recall the gs3 with all these issues
36. israinwet (Posts: 47; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
So I'm under the impression that people send their phones in for battery life? That sounds like consumer error to me.
37. bubbadoes (Posts: 337; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Lets see maps. Wifi connect issue... Battle drain issue on 4s..3 patches to ios 6 and above in the last two weeks alone and its still noy fixed. Sounds pretty stable to me.. i dont recall the gs3 with all these issues
41. -box- (Posts: 3820; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Let's see here...
1) Pro-apple article written by Alan, a known apple fan.
2) I've never heard of "FixYa" before. Ifixit, sure, but these yahoos.
3) apple users aren't much for self-diagnostic and repair. They call apple or go to an apple store.
4) Samsung makes models across the spectrum. Of they make a cheap device with lots of problems, and its compared to a relatively decent apple product (4s, perhaps), the accuracy is severely compromised
Summary: this article is baloney, and while I expect more from PhoneArena, it's par for the course for Alan.
43. -box- (Posts: 3820; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
^5) most of these "issues" aren't real issues. Much like how Ford gets dinged on reliability for customers not knowing how to use Sync or MyFordTouch, which reporting agencies would give the same weight as an engine failure from a reliability standpoint.
44. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1578; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
This fanboys back and forth is really getting old. Its one of the reasons I'm coming here less and less. Everyone needs to quit kidding themselves that their respective OS has no faults, and even then realize that what one person considers a fault may not be the same as other people do.
Plus I don't get this need to have everyone else use what you're using. Why do you care if someone uses something else? Every person has their own taste and their own requirements with the things they buy. One of the perks of these kinds of things is taking them and making them your own. So why try to persuade everyone else to get what you have ? Half the time all you'll be doing is forcing a square peg into a round hole.
Point is, if YOU are happy with your decision, that's what matters. There's no need to try and get others to choose the same as you so you can feel better about your decision. Because if that's what you are doing, you've probably made the wrong decision and should try something else.