G-Shock phone is ugly, but tough enough not to care
1. hepresearch (unregistered)
On the contrary, this is not nearly as "ugly" as it is unique in appearance. It does not look like all the other thin rectangular phones out there... and Apple will have a tougher time justifying any attempt to sue the living snot out of Casio for this on shape and appearance grounds. I like stuff that looks different... and I actually do not find this phone to be "ugly". I like it. I have not been a big fan of Casio products in the past, though, and I would have to switch to Verizon, no doubt, to get one of these when and if they make it to retail shelves... I'm not a huge Verizon fan either. Still, "tough" is freakin awesome. If I had the means of obtaining one, this could easily make it to the top of my list for considering (depending on how well its first set of user reviews turn out).
11. GeekMovement (Posts: 2134; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
i agree where if this phone were not tough, but the design stayed the same, I would no way even consider, but with the durablity and unique looks, I'm interested!
19. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
I agree, it looks like all the other G-shock watches Casio is known for -- that is a UNMISTAKABLE casio watch.
2. skymitch89 (Posts: 1283; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Anyone else see that it has a "SIM SLOT" on the right side under the Home/Power button? My guess is that this will probably come with 4G LTE in tow.
6. TKFox007 (Posts: 303; Member since: 02 Nov 2010)
More than likely, it is a Verizon phone after all.
20. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
The battery life using today's technology would warrant a 3G phone -- 4G uses too much energy.
3. TreyTreyTaylor (Posts: 602; Member since: 21 Dec 2010)
Ughhh. Ugly as shet. Saw this over at Android police last night and joked about how it might give me nightmares lol. Weird that I actually had one XP
5. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
This phone reminds me of some digital watches design. Looks cool, robust with its gadget feeling. Just need to know its spec.
7. 9_HeLLs_oF_DrOid (Posts: 127; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
I'm glad that I'm not only one who doesn't find this phone "ugly"!
8. aar0983 (Posts: 51; Member since: 26 Sep 2011)
I think this phone looks cool. Different in design and tough for all kinds of punishment from the users and the elements
10. tluv00 (Posts: 134; Member since: 18 Oct 2007)
I actually like the phone design and as mentioned previously it's uniqueness. Performance to be determined I can see this phone being adopted in construction, oil and military capacities. I would consider buying this thing based on performance.
Casio also doesn't have to worry about Apple and their patent trolling either as far as the hardware design goes either :-)
12. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
looks like a cross between a graphing calculator and a stopwatch with a giant screen. i can dig it though. but it doesnt look so comfortable in hand.
14. ibap (Posts: 752; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
At last a phone I wouldn't wince at when my daughter knocked it onto the floor! (For her phone, not mine.)
15. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
...what the hell is that abomination? Man, that phone makes ugly look like a ray of sunshine.
30. hepresearch (unregistered)
"We apologize profusely that this device is not as attractive and beautiful as your existing iPhone. We will now hire an entirely new design team to prepare a newer and prettier design, more like your iPhone we hope, and our entire current engineering and design staff here at Casio will now regain our honor by committing seppuku..."
16. BioTek (Posts: 53; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
The overall design of the phone actually isn't that bad. The only problem I have with the design is how wide it is. I'd buy it once the price takes a large decrease.
17. AngusNG12345 (Posts: 37; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
yep well, apple's gonna have a hard time suing g-shock...
22. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1715; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
they only sue to attempt to get rid of their competition, this monstrosity is of course...not
18. CivicSi89 (Posts: 348; Member since: 23 Jul 2011)
Can someone say Casio GzOne Commando 2? Honestly i like the way it looks. kinda strange. but thats what makes it unique. Its definately not like every other bread and butter slab smartphone out there. I liken it to the Ponitac Aztek. Kinda strange looking. Ugly to most. But its function over form. and i think it will sell well to active people, Farmers who need a truly indestructable smartphone or the blind. haha
21. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
I've seen prototypes where the display is elongated in landscape mode. For example, it was a 2.6" screen where the screen was longer than the width of the straps -- which is better suited for texting.
23. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Actually, this is quite refreshing to see a new design rather than another a generic design. Put a N8 like camera or better and consider this one sold.
24. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 413; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
What if this is the ICS, Quad core? haha ;)
I actually don't HATE it per say. I would absolutely never buy it though! My main gripe is that it looks like it's in a case... The phone it's self should be sleek and solid. Even with the notches and ruggedness. Which I like.
26. sgogeta4 (Posts: 394; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
Most people use their phones in a case as it is...
25. BattleBrat (Posts: 1428; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I LOVE that design! I'd buy one just to use it as a media player.
27. brahandum (Posts: 1; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
Damn its nice, finally something with brain and brawn, unfortunately apple fanboy will hate this
28. erwin (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
definitely i would like to have im a fun of g shock,i like the look good for outdoor adventure,when will it be available in the market?