Samsung SCH-R510 User Reviews Back

stowaway7 posted on Jan 10, 2009, 7:10 AM
Posts: 0; Member since: Jan 05, 2009

stowaway7

My son used to have one of these & I picked another up on ebay for a prepaid account. His had the infamous "echo" problem but the new phone, thankfully, does not. I had always like the candy bar design however the buttons are a tab small for my fingers (which are not "fat"). The thin design is great but I've notived that can lead to anoter isue. If you move the phone around while you're talking you can hear the rustling of your hand on the unit or as it brushes against your face. My thicker, heavier Motorola does not demonstrate this. The screen is bright and menus are good, although photos don't display as large as on other phones I've seen unless you make it the wallpaper. The camera is the best 1.3 MP I've seen (my Motorola is awful). Music lovers note...while the phome will play MP3 files there is no headphone jack (too thin) so a stereo bluetooth headset is needed to hear your tunes on anything other than the internal speakers. Battery life is decent and pairing with my standard bluetooth headset was effortless. If you need a thin phone and can find one at a decent price you may want to roll the echo dice & try one.

Pros

• Thin design, bright screen, camera

Cons

• No headset jack, can pick up external noise

becker posted on Apr 24, 2008, 4:24 PM

No echo - everything works well

I bought this phone used, and found out about the echo many people were experiencing after I had purchased it. I was approached the phone with trepidation when I began using it, but after testing it myself and asking other people if they hear an echo or if they hear other conversations, it's fine. I love the slim form factor, and the menu design. T9 is great for me for texting, and I can't wait to try out mp3s on this thing.

Overall, I'm happy with it, no complaints.

Tori Lilly posted on Mar 11, 2008, 7:11 PM

sorry guys.

i don't know if i got a good one or what, but mine doesn't echo AT ALL. ive asked all the people i talk to on a regular basis and they say its fine and they can hear me perfectly clear.
i think the phone is great and its so sleek ans slim. easy to hide while in school:)
the bottom of my up, down, left, right navigastion keys is rubbing off..but thats all.

David J. posted on Jan 16, 2008, 12:14 PM

5.4

Decent Phone

I have had the problem with the echo, but it can be remedied. The problem, I feel is that the microphone for the phone is much too sensitive. It can pick up conversations that are in another room. As for the echo remedy, it can be remedied by not speaking directly into the microphone, but by holding it away from your face. It looks silly, but it works. The phone is very nice though.

Mike posted on Dec 05, 2007, 11:49 AM

3.8

WTF

The echo is aweful. No one can hear me. I like the size. STAY AWAY DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE

teresa m frank posted on Nov 12, 2007, 11:40 PM

4.6

waste of money-phone has some good features, but they don't even come close to making up for the terrible echo. Everyone I talk to has reported hearing themselves echo back. It makes it impossible to carry on a conversation. Can't believe Alltel gets away with selling such a piece of junk!

Pen posted on Aug 19, 2007, 9:40 PM

Ok for a beginner

Anyone who wants to use the bluetooth for anything other than a headset, FORGET IT!. Yes it has a sim card, but you can't get ringtones from it, or thru a bluetooth connecton. Only way is if someone texts them or u buy them. I also tried using the bluetooth on my GPS and it wont do that either. I'm happy with my reception and call drop rate, rarely do I drop calls. As for the echo, I've never had this problem.

Andrew posted on Jul 20, 2007, 9:32 PM

1.8

waste of money

I have had this phone for almost 2 months now and every one i have talked to had herd them selves echo and no one can hear u the only way someone can hear u is if you hold the phone far away from your face this phone always drops calls and i have had so many phones and this is the worst i am recomengding the lg ax8600 over this phone i spent $240 on this phone and it was a waste of money

tailleur posted on Jul 18, 2007, 11:03 AM

nice phone for the money

had this phone for a month and am happy with it. I installed the latest firmware and added some duct tape to the inside of the battery cover and that seems to have helped to eliminate the echo problem some people have reported. Ive got a 1gb microsd card loaded with music. The only gripe I have is that there doesnt seem to be any way to sort music by folder or artist.

insub2 posted on Jul 07, 2007, 4:32 PM

echo fix ... maybe not. something else.

in regard to my previous review, the hand to antenna proximity must have been coincidences.

tried the software update via the phone with no joy.

elsewhere on the internet, people have reported success by inserting a piece of thin packing foam between the battery and the battery cover. I used folded paper and got good results but too soon to tell.

Also called Alltel and they had me come in for a software flash at the store.

All and all, I'd say this phone is too much of a headache for most people. I'm gonna see if i can get mine working since i already have it. but i'd advise you not to get this phone.

insub2 posted on Jul 05, 2007, 12:04 AM

echo fix...maybe.

i just got this phone today and love it. absolutely love it. but people i've talked to complained of an echo. so i fiddle with it and it appears that it echos most while my hand is over or near the antenna and not there when i hold the phone closer to the bottom.

perhaps this is a fix. perhaps not. too soon to tell.

Andrew posted on Jul 04, 2007, 4:49 PM

don't buy this phone

i had just recentily purchissed this phone 1 month ago every one i talk to had an echo so i went to alltel they gave me the same phone and people can't hear me or they can hear themselves echo i have had 14 phones in the past 3 years and this one is the worst phone so i am getting the lg ax 8600 i was very dissopointed about this phone

Sean Libby posted on Jun 29, 2007, 4:21 PM

5.8

ECHO

I love this phone. I thought it was the coolest phone. MP3, radio, TV, and other great services from Alltel. And this phone is currently the thinnest phone in the world. I was so excited about getting it! So everything worked great, except one thing, echo. I never hear it, but when I talk to anyone, they always complain about hearing a bad echo. It gets so bad that they cannot hear me because it is still echoing what they said. I love the phone, HATE THE ECHO. So when I called Alltel to fix it, they told me it was a KNOWN PROBLEM with this phone. I was suprised they were selling a BROKE PHONE. So don't buy this until this issue is fixed.

bob posted on May 27, 2007, 3:40 PM

no echo

I've had the phone for a week and no I talk to has complained of an echo. I like the compact design.

Bo McLaughlin posted on May 23, 2007, 2:50 PM

Echo...Echo...Echo!!!

Beautiful phone...but the Echo!!! Took back after one day as everyone I talked to said they heard themselves repeat...What a waste if this problem is so prevelant...I would buy again if the reverb could be turned off!!

qqd2d2d2 posted on May 14, 2007, 1:03 PM

4.2

33RC3

This phoe has serious sound quality issues. everyone I talk to says they here an echo. phones are still for talking AND THE R510 suck for talking on.how they could release such a flawed desing is beyond me

Andy posted on May 07, 2007, 4:46 PM

Are you serious?

@Jessie

Are you seriously trying to compare this to the N95? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a N95, BUT you do realize that the N95 is at least FIVE TIMES more expensive right? To top it off, the N95 is a GSM phone, this is a CDMA phone, how about you at least keep your comparison within the same type of network?

Anyway, I'd like to see a REAL review on on this phone. I like the idea of a simple, cheap, candybar style phone (Sprint has an amazing lack of something like that), and this thing looks like it would fit the bill.

jessie posted on Apr 29, 2007, 3:47 AM

4.8

DONT TRY THIS ONE

for me this phone is not that good.it's thin but not that good.trust me.samsung should create something good than rather than this one.guys pick nokia n 95 its the best phone ever!