x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

Build quality6.7/10
Text input6.8/10
Everyday usage7.1/10

applesnapple93
posted on 06 Jan 2016, 09:11 (Posts: 155; Member since: 06 Jan 2016)

Love it... But...

applesnapple93 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Bought this and a 6p at launch even knowing that the 6p was going to be way to big for my hands. I was coming from an iPhone 6 (my previous phones were HTC Droid Incredible, a Galaxy Nexus and I ultimately left the droid scene because of the nexus battery life and have used an iphone from 4-6) I had originally wanted the Nexus 5 but it was not offered on verizon so i lucked out with this model.

I love the build quality of the phone, it is a plastic premium feel (if you receive hardware revision 1.0 you will have a soft touch back like mine.... if you receive hardware revision 1.1 the soft finish is removed for some reason). The size of the phone is awesome.

Call quality is awesome, not as good as other phones but definitely not as bad as the PA review makes it out to be. If you have the volume all the way up it can be a little loud and have some scratch but its so loud its painful on the ears from the internal speaker.

Battery life runs circles around my iphone and any other phone I have ever used. I managed to get 28 hours of battery life with moderate-heavy usage. Extremely heavy usage will last about 14 hours. Recharge time is crazy fast. plugging it in at 15% for 30min will get you to 50% or higher which will last a while.

Data speed and reception is nothing to complain about. Web browsing is extremely fast almost all of the time unless loading an extremely flash heavy website.

Camera can be slow at times which is annoying but the quality is amazing (everyone with iphones...

0/10

Pros

• Build quality and soft back
  • Reception is great
  • Call quality is great with VoLTE too
  • Fingerprint scanner is fast and in perfect location
  • battery life is amazing
  • Camera quality is amazing (admired by all my iphone friends)
  • Stock android is beautiful and awesome
  • Flash is EXTREMELY BRIGHT

Cons

• Slow to open camera
  • Very heavy multitasking can slow down phone
  • Loud speaker output is very disappointingly quiet
  • Aux output is low

applesnapple93 alternatives:

Commentator
posted on 21 Oct 2015, 23:48 (Posts: 3722; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)

Good for a budget Nexus

Commentator has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Good: Great camera for a phone this price; Being uncannily light for its size makes it feel more like you're holding the software itself rather than the hardware, and I think that's a good thing; Nexus Imprint is the real deal.

Neutral: The display is decent, not a standout feature by any means; Battery seems okay; Overall build-quality is fine for the price, and very solid-feeling, but nothing "premium."

Evil: Not as quick as other (albeit more expensive) devices out there; I feel like LG and Google are mocking me by putting two speakers on the front yet not including stereo sound; The screen is offset just a hair towards the top of the device, those with OCD beware.

Verdict: A good buy (at least for US buyers) if you're into the pure Google Android experience, but also consider shelling out a few more bucks for the 6P, as long as you don't mind the larger size.

0/10

Pros

• Stock Android
  • Lightweight-yet-sturdy design
  • The camera
  • Nexus Imprint

Cons

• Screen offset vertically
  • Occasional performance hiccup
  • No stereo speakers (DESPITE TWO FRONT-FACING SPEAKER GRILLES!!!)

Commentator alternatives:

aliasgar1982
posted on 28 Apr 2017, 08:12 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Apr 2017)

Nexus 5X - endless reboots makes the phone unusable after 12 months

aliasgar1982 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

LG refuses to swap out phone with manufacturer's defect related to the motherboard.

After endless boots, the phone just died.

I would request Google to recall all the devices that have this faulty MBoard other users like me will never trust Android again

Pros

Cons

• After endless boots, the phone just died.
  • Manufacturer's defect with the motherboard.
  • LG refuses to swap out phone

susanmerker
posted on 15 Apr 2017, 23:45 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Apr 2017)

Before you decide to buy it, search for LG Nexus 5X BOOT LOOP

susanmerker has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The title spells the problem out clearly, do search for LG Nexus 5X boot loop before you make this impulse purchase. I had it for a few months and all of the sudden, it experienced boot loop (like many others). My files cannot be salvaged and the phone could not even start. It constantly goes into boot loop.

You would think that LG will take up the responsibility and simply fix it. But no, LG keeps pushing away this responsibility and I have been asking LG to fix this problem for the past one month and nothing much has been done since.

LG Nexus 5X is a complete brick only after months of usage.

Pros

Cons

• Boot Loop
  • Poor LG Customer Service

leon234
posted on 08 Aug 2016, 05:36 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)

leon234 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I owned a s5 it seemed to lag now and then,so was on the look out for new phone.Picked Nexus 5x up for a good price.Overall great phone simple and very fast.Lovely phone has some amazing features.Its all you would want in a phone.My only minus is the battery life I play the occasional 3d game and have WiFi on.I have to charge 2 times a day and to get one charge to last a day i have to disable some features ie ambient display.So to get one days use,you have to sacrifice some features but with a 1 hour fast charge to 100℅ it really doesn't bother me.

0/10

Pros

• Finger sensor on back
  • Ambient display
  • Notification light
  • Latest updates
  • Nice size screen pretty clean

Cons

• Battery life not the best for heavy user
  • Muffled front speaker

leon234 alternatives:

SergeyTrikoza
posted on 25 Jul 2016, 13:58 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Jul 2016)

I love it!

SergeyTrikoza has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have it just for 1 month, but now I love it! Until you take it in your hand does not understand that THIS IS IT! Camera at night makes great pictures. Now I have Android 7 DP5 - and it works stable.

0/10

Pros

• Just great phone!

Jezik
posted on 21 Jun 2016, 19:13 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Jun 2016)

Nexus 5x is just not a good phone

Jezik has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Here is the real lowdown on the Nexus 5x. I have it because its the smallest of the Google phone service Androids. Things that are standard good design are not on this phone. Most of the questions are about the operating system and apps you can choose to use or download that are standard on all Androids give or take. I am talking about the actual physical phone and why its no better than my 6 1/2 year old LG. Because its not.

No SD card. That's huge! I use the SD card for all kinds of things from adding extra storage to setting up the music I want to listen to. Not to mention no chord to plug into the computer. What? Too many reasons to list why I would to do that, from giving myself more control over the OS to needing to download some info on the go from my computer to work. The keyboard is even hard to text on the screen. Call quality for me is not that good so far. Battery life is worse than my old phone. Worse still the speed of the thing is the same as a 6 year old phone. The only difference in speed is the fact that this phone can get on 4g like every other phone for the last how ever many years.

The thing is for the price a new phone should do something better. Especially than a 6 1/2 year old phone. This phone is average at best. All average compared to every other Android for the last 3 years with a few drawbacks.

0/10

Pros

• Can use with GoogleFi

Cons

• No SD card
  • No USB-C for USB Standard-A
  • Call Quailty

Jezik alternatives:

Gvus2001
posted on 12 Jan 2016, 22:44 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Jul 2014)

Perfect phone, perfect price

Gvus2001 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Great phone, and I got it during Black Friday sales for just $300, amazing price for such a great device. The camera is amazing especially in low light, the display is great, fingerprint reader is crazy fast, way better than any apple one I've ever used. People often talk about the battery life being sub par, but I find it to pretty easily get through day, but in the rare case it doesn't I've been able to get around 40-50% charge in about 15-20 minutes, so its all good. And I can't stress enough that this camera is amazing, in low light the pictures look better than real life, I've never had any issues with it in any lighting.

0/10

Pros

• Great camera
  • Quick charging
  • Great display
  • Fast fingerprint reader
  • Good speaker
  • 4k video
  • Good build
  • Perfect size

Cons

• No sd card slot
  • No removable battery

worked
posted on 22 Oct 2015, 10:46 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Oct 2015)

Next Level

worked has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This device is an absolute joy. I love the simple design and super low weight. The battery capacity is amazing, and the screen density is very sharp and clear. This device is a standout amongst the other Android devices on the market. I'm happy to be back to native Android, converting from my previous M9.

0/10

Pros

• Super lightweight and snappy
  • Price point is excellent
  • Sharp look