x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

Text input9.4/10
Everyday usage9.4/10
UI speed9.8/10

lioraviram42
posted on 21 Mar 2018, 04:02 (Posts: 7; Member since: 09 Dec 2014)

Best phone I ever had

lioraviram42 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The only thing I worried about while I ordered my Pixel 2 were the bezels and how thy will look ridiculously large compared to today's new standard of bezels free designs. But as I started using it I noticed that I never see the bezels when I use my device, since naturally I look only at the screen. The rest is on a scale between good to great - good battery life, front firing speakers, great UI and the best camera on a smartphone. And no, I don't care about the headphone jack. Don't miss it at all and soon it will become a standard anyway so it's time to get used to bluetooth. And Micro SD slot is also unnecessary with 64GB of memory built-in and the Google Photos benefit of original quality storing for free.

Build quality 9/10 Somehow I got some scratches on the bottom part of the back of my phone, even though I use a case. Except for that I had no problems with build quality
Display 9/10 It's a bit small for this days standard and I wish it was slightly brighter in sun light, but overall it's really fine.
Battery 9/10 With a small capacity of 2700 mAh it still manages to last all day long (usually about 4-5 screen on time). I wish Google would have put into it a larger battery so it could last even more.

Pros

• Great camera
  • Great UI
  • Fast updates for 3 years
  • Front firing stereo speakers
  • Google Photos original quality free storage benefit

Cons

• Relatively small battey
  • Relatively small screen

joeboxer
posted on 17 Jan 2018, 21:00 (Posts: 50; Member since: 19 Feb 2015)

Best phone for life comes at a price...

joeboxer has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

the expensive google pixel 2 (5 inch) does not look like much, heck, one can argue the galaxy s4 from years ago had slimmer bezels, but looks can be VERY decieving. as I learned from my pixel 2, a bezeless front and shiny glass back isnt the answer to those who care to use their phones more than stare at it. coming from the s8, this renewed feel of stock android pixel launcher feels amazing. it is both cluttery free and smooth. no longer do i have to dig through the menu to adjust feature to your exact preference, the pixel already does the best possible out of the box. needless to say, camera is phenomenal and only rivaled by the iphone x (which my gf has). may not have the biggest screen but it does a great job at blending the screen into the front bezels. frankly the screen is excellent for users who dont need a 5.5 inch. anohter complaint is no headphone jack not micro sd. if you can look past these few missing features, you got yourself a device that does mostly everything and does it perfectly

Pros

• awesome camera
  • fast UI
  • fits one hand
  • smooth and consistent performance
  • easy to use coming from any phone

Cons

• medicore battery
  • large body for screen
  • no headphone jack or micro sd

kevintangi
posted on 05 Jan 2018, 14:45 (Posts: 6; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)

Almost complete!

kevintangi has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This is my subjective review of the Pixel 2. My last phones before were the Z3 Compact and Galaxy A3 (2017) which I used side by side at the time. Both of them were battery champs so I had high expectations for the Pixel 2. Battery life for me is slightly disappointing, maybe largely I had high expectations for it to last longer than the phones I had. For occasional news reading, half an hour of spotify, high amount of instant messaging, 1 hr of Snapchat/Instagram, I could get one full day usage with about 10%-15% left at the end of the day. I couldn't praise the camera higher, it can take good pictures any day in any situation, just point and shoot. I have no problems with UI and text input, everything is butter smooth and quick, even animations are smoothly rendered and responsive to touches. I have no complaints for display either, having the option to tune the colours to my liking (I prefer the Boosted option compared to Saturated). Loudspeakers are loud enough and better than what I used to, so a plus for me. I dont have any signal issues either. What I don't like about the Pixel 2 is that for a 5 incher, its body feels a bit large. Coming from a sub 5 inch phone makes this phone feel gigantic to hold, especially one handed. The build quality is solid and I have no problems with it. About multimedia, the screen fits most of YouTube videos and the speakers sounded fine. I find myself never using the Active Edge feature, although I think it's a good addition to the device....

Pros

• Best in class camera
  • Fluid UI, Responsive
  • Fingerprint scanner is quick
  • Water and dust resistance

Cons

• Large device footprint
  • Battery life is OK (subjective)
  • White colour stains easily (subjective)

kevintangi alternatives:

Zackd44
posted on 01 Jan 2018, 21:59 (Posts: 35; Member since: 29 Jun 2015)

As long as you're not paying full price, it's a great phone for the money

Zackd44 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Minor quirks, but otherwise a smooth fast phone. Upgraded from a Droid Razr M. My ideal phone would be slightly narrower and quite a bit shorter, but I make do just fine even with a case. I got mine for $100 after rebates and incentives. No complaints

• Relatively small body*
  • Speaker volume

Cons

• Screen distorts at wide viewing angles
  • Large body for a 5" screen

Zackd44 alternatives:

applesnapple93
posted on 16 Nov 2017, 21:24 (Posts: 187; Member since: 06 Jan 2016)

Disappointing Stereo Speakers

applesnapple93 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I owned the original Pixel since launch date last year and it was awesome. When the 2 pixels were announced I was not the most excited because I wanted the Pixel 2 XL in the Pixel 2 form.... this year it wasn't the case. I preordered both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL to get my hands on both and see which one I would prefer. The Pixel 2 really does not offer much of an upgrade over the original Pixel other than the Active Edge squeeze feature (kinda pointless), and stereo speakers. However the stereo speakers are not good on the Pixel 2 standard. The bottom speaker is full, loud and has great bass. The top speaker is very tinny and sharp with high treble. It makes for a very unpleasant listening experience and you'll find yourself cringing frequently from the sharp sounds coming from it. I confirmed this was not an issue with my device as I went to 2 verizon stores and tested theirs. Call quality is effected by this too. You will notice while speaking on the phone the other persons voice suffers the same sharp sounding audio quality.

Also the display on the device seems washed out compared to the original Pixel, and ironically it looks washed out compared to the Pixel 2 XL which the entire internet seems to think otherwise.

Overall it is a great device and I would recommend it. However if you already have the original Pixel, the upgrade is absolutely pointless.

Pros

• very fast UI
  • Awesome Battery Life
  • Crazy fast charging
  • really good camera

Cons

• earpiece stereo speaker is sharp and tinny
  • earpiece during calls has a sharp tinny experience
  • Stereo speakers is the only real upgrade over Pixel 1
  • Colors are washed out on display

applesnapple93 alternatives: