Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 User Reviews

Multimedia9.8/10
Battery8.5/10
Reception8.3/10

stephen94
posted on 18 Oct 2014, 09:52 (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Oct 2014)

Great for multimedia, browsing and study/work.

stephen94 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I use my tablet primarily for viewing and editing pdfs and word documents, as well as browsing the Internet and reading articles and viewing videos and pictures. The Tab S is more than capable of handling these tasks in a quick and easy to use manner.

The play store has a wide range of open office software which run very smoothly on this tablet. The YouTube app also runs perfectly on the tablet, I haven't encountered any problems with it. Some reviewers of Android products complain about them not having as many good apps as iOS, everything I've needed I've found in a free or lite version. That said, I don't use my tablet for gaming so the situation may be different for people looking to play games on their device.

As aways, the home screen is customisable, allowing the user to select the apps and widgets that they want there. The expandable storage is a very important feature, especially when comparing to the main rival, the ipad air 2, which will cost a hundred euro more for the 64GB model versus the 16GB model in Ireland. For comparison, I bought a Samsung Evo 32 GB micro SD for less than €20 on Amazon. The user replaceable battery also allows the user to lengthen the life of the tablet without the cost and hassle of sending it to the manufacturer for a new battery.

Build quality 10/10 Very light but durable. Easy to hold in one hand despite the size due to the texture of the back panel.
Reception 8/10 I have wifi only version, I rated this one as close to the current average.
Call quality 10/10 I haven't used the tablet for Skype yet so I've selected the average mark
Internet 9/10 Chrome usually displays websites in desktop mode and when it uses mobile, in most cases requesting the desktop version of a site works. Mozzila and Opera are available in the play store for anyone looking to avoid Chrome.
Multimedia 10/10 Video playback is particularly wonderful on this tablet.
Camera 10/10 I prefer to use my phone for photos but the Tab S has a fantastic 8MP camera that is great when I do use it.
UI speed 9/10 I've found no problems with the UI speed. While only 1GB of RAM is available to the user this is more than enough.
Everyday usage 10/10 Great for every day usage, I do all my general browsing on my tablet now.
Text input 9/10 Large screen allows for a large QWERTY keyboard, even when holding it vertically.
Display 10/10 The display is simply perfect.
Battery 8/10 Very good battery and the device uses virtually no power while on standby (my tablet is wifi only, I imagine this would be different for mobile data versions.) The only downside to the battery tis that it takes a long time to charge.

kiran07
posted on 04 Sep 2014, 02:46 (Posts: 0; Member since: 23 May 2014)

I love new Samsung Galaxy Tab S

kiran07 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I am using Samsung Galaxy Tab S. It's very light weighted, slim , having multi window for multi tasking , having Seamless connectivity between phone and tablet. Its display is Display Optimized for your viewing experience. You can check detailed features at Samsung India site

Pros

• Great performance, Display

Cons

• Nothing

Ketchapp
posted on 04 Sep 2014, 01:30 (Posts: 21; Member since: 04 Sep 2014)

Strong Media Playback Tablet

Ketchapp has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Boasting possibly the best screen in the tablet market to date, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S is a sight to behold. It's 10.5 inch Super AMOLED 2k screen does not entirely make up for the out-of-the-box laggy UX, but by installing a third party launcher this issue can be resolved. Android may still lack some of the apps found on iOs or the snappy WP UI, but its getting there. This great flagship tablet is definitely a viable option to consider in the mid-high range tablet market. Also advisable to purchase a 64 or 128 GB storage expansion as the 16 or 32 GB on-board storage will quickly run, filled by Music, Films and Games.

Build quality 7/10 Unbelievably thin and light, the Tab S has a good grip and feels durable enough. Not really a big fan of the color schemes though.
Reception 8/10 Great connectivity, also both with wifi and LTE. The only noticeable issue is it takes a while to reconnect once it has been rebooted.
Call quality 10/10 I find myself using skype 5/6 times a day, and the great audio and front camera quality really make it just that much more enjoyable.
Internet 9/10 Chrome is a good browser, and I am a big fan of the Google +/ Picasa integration. Youtube also feels faster compared to iOs and WP.
Multimedia 10/10 Mindblowing Super AMOLED screen, the blacks are amazing though the whites are slightly washed out. Slightly oversaturated, but that contributes to more vivid colors.
Camera 10/10 I don't really use the camera often, but when I do, I just want to snap and forget about it, without taking into consideration factors such as light and movement. The Tab S camera really makes that easy, and nearly all the shots come out well.
UI speed 4/10 The original TouchWiz launcher the Tab S comes with is memory hogging and unbearably laggy, with just 2/3 apps open in the background. Replacing it with 3rd party launchers solves this issue.
Everyday usage 6/10 Again, TouchWiz tends to drain resources and constitutes a fairly noticeable downside. Also Android lacks some iOs apps which I have grown quite fond of.
Text input 9/10 Keyboard is very responsive, word prediction and correction are rarely wrong.
Display 10/10 A 2560 x 1600 Super AMOLED screen with a pixel density of 288 ppi delivers a stunning visual experience, inside and outide.
Battery 8/10 I subject it to about 4-5 hours of intensive usage, mostly 3D games and Media Playback, and always retains about 20% when I leave it to charge during the night.

Pros

• Stunning Screen
  • Amazing Contrast
  • Thin and Light

Cons

• Memory Hogging UI
  • Sluggishly Laggy UX

Ketchapp alternatives:

the_s2
posted on 23 Aug 2014, 08:40 (Posts: 210; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)

A great multimedia tablet

the_s2 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Extremely good display, let down by a laggy chipset and a very heavy touchwiz skin.
After about a month of owning the tablet, I am more or less satisfied with the whole experience. What I'm confused about is, why samsung went for using an exynos chipset(Exynos 5420 octa from 2013) instead of snapdragon 801 on a flagship tablet.
plus the touchwiz skin is a RAM and CPU hog. the UI lag is noticeable most of the times.

Build quality 7/10 Really thin and lightweight. Love the material used on the back cover. Grippy enough.love the gold trim around the bezels, though its not for everyone.
Multimedia 10/10 The gorgeous screen paired with excellent audio quality and 2K video playback makes it a very good multimedia tablet.
Camera 10/10 A very good camera for a tablet, compared to many tablets out there. easily outperforms Xperia tablet Z2's and iPad Air's camera.
UI speed 4/10 The lte version of the tablet I use, packs an exynos 5420 chipset, which is laggy on most occassions. even though the tablet has a healthy 3GB of ram, only 1GB is available for use due to the heavy touchwiz skin.
Everyday usage 6/10 Great for everyday usage.
Text input 9/10 Excellent samsung keyboard with great word prediction and lots of features.
Display 10/10 WQHD SuperAMOLED display at 10.5 inches. Do I need say more?
Battery 8/10 lasts 2 days for me under moderate to heavy usage.

Pros

• Super AMOLED display with infinite contrast and punchy colours
  • Large and high resolution WQHD display
  • Good enough battery life
  • Extremely thin and lightweight
  • Feature rich

Cons

• UI is laggy
  • Touchwiz skin is quite heavy on system
  • very lesss available RAM
  • dropped frames while navigating within UI and apps

the_s2 alternatives: