Nokia Lumia Icon User Reviews

Text input8.6/10
Everyday usage8.1/10
UI speed9.7/10

Belle
posted on 09 Jun 2014, 10:56 (Posts: 0; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)

Longtime Android User Says HELLO to Windows Phone 8.1 - and GLAD HE DID

Belle has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

My first smartphone was an Android, and I've been hooked on google since. I have a chromebook, nexus 7, iPad, and always had an Android phone... until now. Even with the new KitKat update, I was still experiencing lag when unlocking my phone, opening the app drawer, opening the gallery, making a call, hanging up on a call, opening messaging, etc. After 6 years of android, I was starting to get tired of it and started to explore my options.

iPhone option: I know that iOS is stable with no lag (I have an iPad), but it is so much more boring than android (no widgets, lack of customization, etc.).

Blackberry option. Laugh and move on.

Android option. Galaxy S5 almost got me to bite. Great device, but looks ugly, and I know that after a year, it will be lagging just as bad as my current android phone because its packed with 9239848 features that I will never use.

Windows option: Nokia Lumia Icon - Played around with windows phone 8 and got depressed... it sucked. Thought I was going to be forced to chose between iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5 for features and functionality. Then I read about WP 8.1 - and REALLY glad that I did. Basically WP 8.1 is like iOS and Android had a baby. It has the stability of iOS, the customization of Android, with the capability of Microsoft Office when you need it. The app gap is largely a joke now. Yes WP is behind, but it has all the apps that I need, every single one. Bought the Icon and haven't looked back! There isn't a single app or feature...

Build quality 10/10 Exceptional fit and finish - metal trim, poly carb back, and curved glass front give it a premium feel in the hand.
Reception 10/10 Better than my previous Motorola's and Samsung's.
Call quality 10/10 Better than my previous Motorola's and Samsung's.
Internet 10/10 Love the reader mode on IE 11 that allows me to set background to dark with white text, and automatically trims out all the ads for distraction free reading.
Multimedia 10/10 Admittedly limited use, but currently has met all my needs.
Camera 10/10 20 megapixel camera is incredible for a smartphone! Replaces point and shoot cameras! REAL Optical Image Stabilization (not the software gimmick "stabilization" on iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5), Lossless zoom for great image quality when cropping shots. Audio quality from 4 mic setup is incredible.
UI speed 10/10 NO LAG!!! This is what had been driving me crazy with android! Everything you do is silky smooth, with no jitters or delay.
Everyday usage 9/10 May be a bit large for some people, but I'm 6'2" so it fits perfectly in my hand.
Text input 10/10 Excellent keyboard! Swype when you need it, or power text when you don't. Keyboard has excellent speed and responsiveness with lots of great smart features.
Display 10/10 441 ppi with true blacks on a bright indoor/outdoor display with curved glass edges make it look phenomenal. Nothing else out there like it!
Battery 8/10 The one weakness of the phone. When other top android phones are getting 7 hour run down times, I was expecting more than the 5 hour iPhone time that I was getting.

Pros

• Camera is flat out beastly
  • 4 mic video recording sounds better than anything else out there
  • Smooth OS with no lags
  • Unique look and feel (hardware and OS)

Cons

• Battery lasts all-day, but still wish it was bigger

Dadler22
posted on 02 May 2014, 21:39 (Posts: 161; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)

All camera, no smarts

Dadler22 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Thank god I purchased this phone on Verizon Edge. Those without the money to purchase a new phone after a few months of suffrage should just avoid windows phone all together. Unfortunately for Nokia build quality can only take a phone so far...

Internet 1/10 Internet explorer struggles to open most web pages, back key always creates problems, no alternatives
Multimedia 4/10 No Spotify, only app that works is XBOX music, which is pathetic
Camera 7/10 Low light settings are great for taking pictures other phones cant. However, photos don't look as great on the computer as they did on the phone screen
UI speed 10/10 UI works quickly, sadly its not capable of doing much.
Everyday usage 4/10 Works great for phone calls, text messages, and emails. No app support means the rest of my tasks have to just be foregone.
Text input 7/10 keyboard is responsive, but
Display 10/10 definitely one of the best displays to date
Battery 9/10 Lasts over a day, but less than two under heavy usage

• Dedicated Shutter Key

Cons

• Windows Phone
  • Microsoft
  • App store
  • SnapChat is pathetic

Dadler22 alternatives:

atomicinternet
posted on 31 Mar 2014, 15:49 (Posts: 0; Member since: 31 Mar 2014)

Powerful with great camera

atomicinternet has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Despite losing my Xenon flash from the Lumia 928 I upgraded from, this camera more than makes up for it with the higher resolution and decent LED flash. The aluminum band around the edge gives it a high quality build feel and the phone itself is solid physically and operationally.

Build quality 10/10 Feels solid
Reception 10/10 No issues with reception anywhere
Call quality 10/10 no issues with call quality
Internet 10/10 Browser is fast and reliable
Multimedia 10/10 Has all my media apps, stores enough MP3s for me.
Camera 9/10 Wish it had a Xenon flash, otherwise perfect.
UI speed 10/10 I've yet to own a Windows Phone that didn't have a lightning fast UI
Text input 10/10 Keyboard rocks
Display 10/10 Amazing in and out of sunlight
Battery 8/10 2340 mAh is a big battery, but with a screen this size it should be bigger.

Pros

• Great camera
  • Fast UI
  • Reliable

Cons

• Battery could be bigger

utg001
posted on 30 Mar 2014, 11:24 (Posts: 31; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)

Best

utg001 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Its a great phone if you can get through the day with a full charge. I didn't much like the shape of it, but the pros outweigh the cons.
currently the best Windows Phone out!
I presume with the Windows Phone 8.1 around the corner, the battery issue might be resolved along with some minor bugs when music files duplicate.

Build quality 8/10 too boxy, but still Nokia
Reception 10/10 What you should expect from a great flagship
Call quality 10/10 What you should expect from a great flagship
Internet 10/10 Larger screen is a plus
Multimedia 9/10 great handling of multimedia although adding files can be troublesome sometimes
Camera 10/10 HAAC audio is awesome for videos
UI speed 10/10 snappy!
Everyday usage 10/10 it gets things done faster than many others
Text input 10/10 WP keyboard is large and so useful
Display 10/10 AMOLED screen <3
Battery 8/10 Could be better

Pros

• AMOLED screen
  • HAAC audio
  • big camera
  • Big internals

• No sd card

gahess1
posted on 27 Mar 2014, 08:59 (Posts: 0; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)

Best Windows phone yet

gahess1 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I've had two iphones, an android, and three windows phones. This is the best of the bunch. So fast/responsive, the camera is amazing, battery great. All the apps I need are available now. Overall great phone!

Pros

• Display, Speed, Camera, Battery

Cons

• Larger than iphone

tommybayshore
posted on 07 Mar 2014, 20:26 (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)

Ehhh... I think not...

tommybayshore has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've always had the latest and greatest phones, recently i damaged my Note 3 and decided to give the shiny cool Nokia Lumia Icon a try... i must admit, in the store and just playing around with it for a few minutes it seemed great, even going home and reading numerous reviews made me think this may be a really awesome phone...so i went and bought it! And quickly returned it...here is why...

The live tiles are cool and i could get used to them, but thats about it. The lack of apps in the app store was really rough, and they popular apps that are in the store are outdated looking and remind of the how bad Facebook looked on the BlackBerry Bold. The "People" section was just a complete mess, updates from LinkedIN, Facebook, this, that, everywhere... most from sources i could completely care less about, even when i unchecked the sources they still managed to come back. Then when you click on a update you don't know if you're going to Linkedin, Facebook, Google etc... just shows you a picture with a bunch of comments.

The email formatting was also a mess, you have to click "show pictures" on EACH email, there is no default setting to make this happen for every email. I get a ton of emails and its annoying to have to click "show pictures" in every email.

The battery was not that great either. I had it fully charged at 7AM, left for the day, was on WIFI almost all day and by 4PM i had 28% battery left.

The call quality was great, that i did like, but i use my phone for so...

• Vivid Display
  • Speakerphone
  • NFC

• Apps (or lack of)

fandows
posted on 07 Mar 2014, 18:41 (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)

Great phone you should consider it.

fandows has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I love this phone. If anyone is a Verizon customer and is looking for a new phone this one will not disappoint. And until march 16 if you order this phone from a Microsoft store you will get a free Nokia wireless charger. I've wanted this phone since it started leaking back in November. The cons of this phone are rather unimportant though.

Pros

• 1080p 5 inch amoled screen 441ppi
  • 20 megapixel camera with dual flash and 2 'megapixel front camera
  • Built in wireless charging(not included)
  • 4 Microphones for optimal sound recording
  • Windows phone 8 and Nokia black but that's just my opinion
  • Snapdragon 800 processor 2.2 ghz
  • Support for ac wifi which is rather new and yes it has 5ghz wifi
  • Quick access to camera button
  • Comes with full Microsoft office for windows phone 8
  • Built in fm radio which is cool
  • A lot of hany widgets such as alarms are pre installed
  • Easy access SIM card

Cons

• Camera does not have 4k recording
  • No micro sd expansion slot
  • For some reason the battery is terrible I can't figure out why but I think it's a software problem
  • Not waterproof
  • Processor is not 64 bit which was something I really wanted
  • Micro USB 2.0 not 3.0

fandows alternatives: