LG Optimus Elite User Reviews

Build quality6.5/10
Everyday usage7.8/10
UI speed7.8/10

dc_ae7
posted on 10 Aug 2014, 13:36 (Posts: 0; Member since: 10 Aug 2014)

Another glorious Optimus

dc_ae7 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Its going to be about 3 months since I got this phone. Since the beggining its sole purpose was to be a temporary phone after my other phone suffered an accident.

First impressions
I got it for $35 through eBay, (refurbished). The very moment I got it, I realized it takes a while to turn on. Once I got to the Home Screen I realized how bad the Pixel density is. I had an HTC ONE V, so the different was very noticeable. You can see individual pixels from a foot away (I decided to get rid of home screen icons, they are an eye sore due to the contrast with the background). Once I was done with the screen I saw the bottom part, it has the menu button in the center, phone to the left and some kind of service "Mobile ID" to the right" this can't be removed, so its a waste of space which could be used to launch the browser. Mobile ID is just another one of those "hey here is more stupid stuff you don't need! Download it now!" apps. I went in the Play Store and realized the catalog is very limited now, since it had (1GB) of storage and because its 2.2, compatibility with many modern apps is an issue. I went on to the Youtube app, and video playback was lagging so I decided to get into the browser which was very slow (default browser), So I said "f*ck it, I rather download a game", I downloaded a 3D game, and the phone couldn't get past the start screen. By then my battery was low already.

After a week of constant use I saw the battery lasted me the whole day, with minimal use...

Build quality 3/10 Made of plastic, feels very cheap
Reception 7/10 Sometimes it doesn't, But most of the time had no problems.
Call quality 5/10 Speakers are really low quality, if the screen is facing down, there is no way for the audio to make its way to the back, like other phones do.
Internet 5/10 Only tried default browser (not enough space for anything else) it works fine, not slow, nor fast, although it has a really hard time loading normal websites, and its incompatible to many modern mobile sites too.
Multimedia 1/10 Speaker is really bad, its on the front and when the screen is facing down on a surface it can't be heard, lots of problems reading SD Cards, and issues with Earphones with mic
Camera 6/10 It seems ok, can record up to 720x480 and camera is 5MP, it has many settings altough these can be found in most other phones.
UI speed 7/10 Most of the time it worked, but sometimes I would be forced to take the battery off because the UI and power button didn't work.
Everyday usage 6/10 If its only for calls and minimal browser use its ok, all I use it now is for text messaging, browsing reddit and video playback (with lag)
Text input 4/10 Swype Keyboard doesn't work well in this, fast swypes usually end up giving wrong words, gotta go really slow.
Display 5/10 really low quality, really low pixel density, really low resolution
Battery 5/10 its ok. with its constant overheating issues.

Pros

• Price
  • Good reception

Cons

• Low quality speaker
  • Playback is a hassle
  • Build feels/is cheap

kidfresh565123
posted on 21 Oct 2013, 06:49 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)

VM lg696

kidfresh565123 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Owned phone for at lest 1.5 years got. At first I was like ok this phone isn't that bad, but as I started using it more and more I realized it sucks. If you only make phone calls and use your phone lightly it might last you throughout the day, but if you use you phone moderately to heavily not the phone to get. Games somewhat lag and depends on the game you get. Speaker for music ok, could be better. For phone calls ok. Media browsing quality isn't that bad bit then it isn't that great. Camera is good pictures come out clean. Surfing the internet gets slow especially if you are on data.....that all I can think of now. Btw if this is your first android phone get, my experience may not be the same one you have and for you it may just be the best phone ever.

Display 8/10 Display is ok
Battery 3/10 Battery will only last me a fourth of the day even with the phone just sitting there on standby

Pros

• NFC
  • Memo
  • Ok memory
  • Thin

Cons

• Slow
  • Horrible battery life
  • Restarts out of nowhere
  • Small screen
  • No front facing camera
  • Id

etschuetz
posted on 19 Jul 2012, 18:50 (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)

Great entry level Android

etschuetz has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I really am impressed here. This is an entry level Android with a single core 800 mhtz processor. It has a decent amount of memory to install applications and such. It can handle a good amount of fun games, and also is capable of handling streaming video through Netflix quite well. I also really enjoy having Google Wallet and NFC capability. I can see this feature going far.

As for bloatware. The only real bloat is Mobile ID (Sprint ID). I am not a fan of it, as everything it installs is apps that can be installed from the Google Play Store. However, everything it installs can be uninstalled from the Applications Manager in the settings. So if that is all of the bloatware I have, that is fine with me.

Overall, this is a device that the average user will enjoy.

Reception 10/10 Probably based off of my area, but I have never had a dropped call on this phone in my home area.
Call quality 9/10 Voice service is clear and no one has had issues understanding me.
Multimedia 8/10 Games can be a bit underwhelming (Eternity Warriors & Gun Bros), and some of the best of the Gameloft games are not available, or just don't fit in the screen. However, video and image viewing is good.
Camera 9/10 Picture quality is really pretty good on this device, even though a front facing camera would have been great.
UI speed 9/10 The 800 mhtz processor really does do a great job of handling everything I do on it, including when I use Go Launcher EX as my primary UI.
Text input 8/10 I have big thumbs, but it suffices. There isn't much wrong with the Android Keyboard, or Swype (not a fan of it), SwiftKey is a great keyboard for this sized screen. Other than that, very responsive input.
Display 8/10 A 3.5 inch screen is okay. I would have preferred a larger screen, but that isn't the phones fault for my decision on a purchase.
Battery 9/10 Pleasantly suprised here. It lasts me most of my work day. However, I am accustomed to the new trend in 6 to 8 hour battery life on modern devices and have ALWAYS carried a charger with me, even before I jumped on the smartphone bandwagon.

Pros

• NFC
  • Thin
  • Google Wallet support ($25 for free!)
  • Moderately decent memory
  • Great Build Quality
  • Virtually NO bloatware

Cons

• No Front Facing Camera
  • Not a 1ghtz processor
  • Virgin Mobile/Sprint ID

Italia1012
posted on 14 Jul 2012, 05:17 (Posts: 5; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)

A great phone for anyone!

Italia1012 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I bought this phone for my father for Fathers Day on Virgin Mobile, and he absolutely loves it! i have also tested this phone as well and i have to say, it's really good... the phone performs with flying colors and i have not heard any complains from my father, and i have no complains my self! This phone is good for anyone that wants a basic gingerbread phone...

Pros

• Great Camera
  • Very Speedy UI
  • Great build quality