x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Verizon Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Possible shift to Android deal breaker for me.

ChuckAzEee1 12 May 2013, 18:20 posted on

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I have a iPhone 4S, and due to its limited storage space, I wanted to upgrade to a larger capacity phone without having to "cloud" my purchases or my music. Another reason that wanted to upgrade to a larger capacity is that I currently have a 64GB iPad 2 and a 64GB iPod Touch and with 7800 songs I am running out of space. Verizon has mentioned that they will most likely not stock the Samsung S4 32GB or the 64GB capacity versions of the phone leaving us to "cloud" or delete larger apps to make place for newer ones. I hadn't used a Android based phone since the 2.1 version on a crummy HTC Droid Eris, which basically threw me into the arms of my current iPhone 4S. There is not deleting apps due to lack of limited space, no worries of rooting my phone to move apps to my SD card. Should I become more disgruntled with Verizon's money grubbing lack of empathy for their customers, I'll wait out my contract which I am still grandfathered with and move over to another company that will offer a larger capacity S4 with the hopes that the App storage will be larger within the phone and that they are available with the carrier. Any thoughts on what I have written should it make sense?

posted on 19 May 2013, 08:25 1

1. firelightx (Posts: 71; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)

Seems to make sense to me.

Something that might be worth mentioning is that the Eris, and all other android phones at the time, had incredibly little app storage space. Something to the effect of 250mb. Even phones that had 16gb of internal memory, generally only set aside some 700mb for apps.

Along comes Android 4.0, which changes the very architecture of Android. Suddenly, if a phone has 16gb internal, then it has 16gb room for apps. No more of this "this space is for this, and this space is for that." like it used to be. Any space is for everything, which should help out in your situation.

So, in your example, if you got the Galaxy S4 with Verizon, you would have 9GB of space for apps (Supposed to be 16gb, but Samsung/Verizon have SO MUCH BLOATWARE) and then a spot for an SD card that if I'm not mistake, supports the size above 64GB. 128 or something? I could be wrong. Still. The concept is there.

I've never met anyone with 9GB of apps, so as long as you save internal for apps and songs go on an external, you should be fine.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories