x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
AT&T Discussions
  • Options
    Close

iPhone, Android, Windows?

edgex (unregistered) 05 Oct 2011, 09:39 posted on

My contract is up in January, and though I may be able to convince them (AT&T) to let me upgrade early, I'm not sure what to choose. My only smartphones since their invention have been blackberries, as I primarily used for work email, and a physical keyboard is perfect for me, I can text faster then most people can type. However, it is time to come into the future, and Blackberry phones stopped trying to compete with good hardware (if they ever really did). So my question is, Galaxy S II (or other android device?), a windows phone, iPhone 4S, as the most appealing feature of all the new improvements is the Cloud for pictures, and most importantly, Music. I have a lot of purchased music via iTunes, but much much more that is not, and the way they explained they will upgrade the sound quality and host it sounds pretty awesome to me. Or, wait for another phone supposed to release something this quarter or very early in 2012?

P.S. AT&T doesnt have real LTE, so from my understanding no phone can download faster then another on this network. Does that make the iPhone 4S the fastest? or only just as fast as the other HSPA+ phones ("4G") on AT&Ts network?

posted on 04 Nov 2011, 08:41

1. sjsmagicman (Posts: 2; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)

If you strictly want a physical keyboard, I would recommend the Samsung Captivate Glide (Android). If you are willing to venture away from the physical keyboard, then the Samsung Galaxy S II and even the brand new Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket. The new S II Skyrocket is basically the same phone except for the fact that it has a 1.5ghz dual core processor when the original S II has a 1.2ghz dual core. If those are not big enough for you, hopefully by January, the new Samsung Galaxy Note will have been released. This has a much larger screen at 5.3 inches, and also has stylus functionality. Currently however the Galaxy Note is only available in Europe. The choice is up to you and what you personally what to do with the phone. Each phone, and even operating system for that matter, is different in its own way, and likewise has its own advantages and disadvantages. Maybe some more insight on what you currently do on your phone, as well as what you would like to be able to do in the future would shed some more light on what phone may be the best fit for you personally.

posted on 27 Dec 2011, 10:01 1

2. MYTHiKAL (Posts: 33; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)

ATT does have real LTE.. Not only their original network is really fast, but now that LTE is turned on all over the San Diego County, an area that has not even been announced, my speeds are averaging above 25mbs download.. This is becoming the norm all around the nation, more and more LTE is been turned on without been announced by ATT, so I’m expecting a huge announcement coming up from ATT..

I personally would go with ANDROID phones. I also like the new WindowsPhones, and I have 3 WP7s in my account. Ever since I got them, they took me by surprise, so I highly recommend them and you can pretty much use them for anything you want. Going back to what I recommend the most: The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket or the new LG Nitro are the best out there. If you are willing to get used to a screen keyboard instead of a physical one, these are your best choices. Their screens are nice and big at 4.5 inch or so.. When it comes to iCloud services, IMO that is nothing new. Google/Android has been doing very similar things for some time and a lot of apps out there do the same things as well..

I used to have 2 iPhones before, one for me and my spouse, but now after experiencing Android and now with my 2 Galaxy Phones, iPhones seem almost like a missing link. iPhones could be ur thing since u mention u have a lot of iTunes music, but if that is your only thing, I would not even bother.

There are some new nice WindowsPhones out there, and NOKIA is finally coming back strong with their soon to be released WindowsPhone, but if you want something kinda of like an IPhone, but much better, go with ANDROID, you will NOT regret it..

posted on 27 Jun 2012, 13:33

3. dbos314 (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 May 2012)

Well, my opinion is just the opposite. I have had an Iphone, a Samsung Infuse and a Motorola Atrix 4g. Of the 3 the Atrix 4g was the highest rated, but by far the worst phone i have ever owned in my life!!!! It has been my experience that Android has not yet caught up with the Iphone and the Atrix 4g is pure junk! Motorola is clearly not the company they used to be so I would advise you stay away from Motorola completely and I lean more to the Iphone...

posted on 26 Dec 2012, 21:01

4. RandyWalters (Posts: 4; Member since: 26 Dec 2012)

Been thinking about getting the Motorola Atrix HD when my current contract ends. It runs on AT&T's 4G LTE and is great for outdoor work. I work as a graphic designer in New York, and I’ve been looking for a rugged phone I can use as a mobile workstation for photoshoots I go on... this looks perfect.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories