x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
U.S. Cellular Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Uscellular Upcoming New Phones????

Jake (unregistered) 24 Apr 2011, 21:07 posted on

Is there any new phones coming out? Like a newblackberry, or something? It seems there just so far behind other companys when it comes to choice of phones.

posted on 24 May 2011, 12:15

1. John (unregistered)

Jake-

US Cellular will be changing from CDMA to GSM with the rollout of their 4G Network in September/October 2011 (confirmed by US Cellular Customer Service). Since August 2010, US Cellular has provided AT&T and other GSM carriers with roaming capabilities. It's not that US Cellular is behind, its that they don't want to stick their customers with phones that will be useless on their network in the near future. Wait until September/October of this year if you are in the market for a new phone.

posted on 31 May 2011, 09:30

2. Not John (unregistered)

roflmao. LTE is confirmed, yes, but GSM? You realize that LTE is a CHEAP change to the networks, and a money saver for anyone rolling it out. However, a complete change to GMS? Rediculously more expensive then any other single move any carrier could make. GSM is the most rediculous change anyone could make up for USCC to do.

posted on 03 Jun 2011, 00:04

3. Joe (unregistered)

Is that change going to happen in New England also?
Is US Cellular going to change from Verizon to AT&T?

posted on 12 Jun 2011, 19:49

4. Matt (unregistered)

"Android 2.3! Windows Phone 7! 4G LTE! Packed with faster processors, U.S. Cellular’s expanding portfolio of wireless devices will offer you more features and functions to enhance your life. The Happiest Customers in Wireless know the value of our premier devices and unique benefits like new phones faster without continuously signing contracts. Which devices are you most excited about?"- US Cellulars Facebook page.
In this post it say Android 2.3, Windows Phone 7 and 4G LTE, which all together includes 7 new phones and 2 new tablets. It is confirmed that the LTE Network will rollout in August/September but no confirmation on GSM. It does make sense to when your unavailing a 4G LTE network to switch to GSM as it is becoming a standard in Verizons 4G LTE network and a lot of smartphones.
U.S. Cellulars on its way to becoming a National carrier as it is now technically a Regional Carrier (More like Super Regional)

posted on 13 Jun 2011, 10:01

5. Tiny-Tim (unregistered)

I wouldn't take anything that is confirmed by US Cellular Customer Service as truth; they keep their CSRs just in the dark as everyone else. The truth is that US Cellular doesn't even know what phones they are getting, when they are getting the phones, and so on... if something doesn't change soon, then I'm jumping to AT&T for the new BlackBerry touch phones that they already have, and definitely know that they will get.

posted on 19 Jul 2011, 13:08

6. Wants to switch to verizon (unregistered)

Well when USCC gets the iPhone in 12 years I'll be the first to get it!

posted on 20 Jul 2011, 13:11

7. uscellular agent (unregistered)

well honestly i work at us cellular and i can confirm that they will soon be receiving the desire 2, the htc wildfire, and the blackberry torch. it is on our new rebate forms so it is only a matter of time

posted on 25 Jul 2011, 15:48

8. Endorsment Opportunity (unregistered)

Blackberry Torch, yes. But not the Torch that you may be thinking. They are slated for the BB 9850 (Torch 2), not the 9800 which most carriers have had. I'm surprised that people continue to perpetuate the ignorance that the iPhone is the only phone worth carrying. US Cellular has kept up with several of the most in demand Android phones on the market, many of which outperform the iPhone in both quality, and aesthetically beneficial features.
LTE is definitely on the horizon. GSM not so much. And while LTE may be "a cheap change" in comparrison to a complete transition to GSM, it is by no means an inexpensive venture. US Cellular has placed a significant investment in this change to bring their customers faster data speeds and overall higher quality and satisfaction. In addition, while other carriers may be advertising how they have the largest 4G coverage, you may want to take some time to look into what that really looks like. Chances are, unless you're in LA or NYC, you don't have 4G where you live, and probably won't for quite some time.
Thanks!

posted on 04 Aug 2011, 15:11

9. John (unregistered)

As someone who works closely with US Celluar's Government Relations team, I can tell you that they are changing the network over to GSM over the next 2 years, with customers graudally being changed over to GSM phones.

posted on 07 Sep 2011, 20:12

10. Gino (unregistered)

US Cellular will never switch to GSM. GSM is why AT&T, T-Mobile suck. Call quality and reception is low with GSM. A phone company cannot just switch to GSM. IT is completely different system, cost billions of dollars. It will cost more than what AT&T paid for T-Mobile to USC switch to GSM.

idiot

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories