BlackBerry Passport Review
Call quality is pretty good for the most part, except for the minor static noise heard through the earpiece.
Its call quality is good, since its earpiece and speakerphone emit such strong volumes that make them audible in noisy environments. Still, there is a subtle amount of static noise that we can hear through the earpiece, which in turn distorts voices just a bit.
The battery life will keep you working continuously without any concern.
Tough to imagine that BlackBerry is able to throw in a massive sized 3450 mAh battery inside of the Passport, we’re nonetheless relieved to find out that it delivers long-lasting battery life. A full charge in fact, offers us close to 2-days of normal usage – so even power users will get through a day with no worry at all!
Visually, the BlackBerry Passport is a delectable treat – one that not only pays homage to the BlackBerry smartphones of yesterday, but it oozes with a modern design to die for. For all of its attractiveness, we’re confused by the company’s decision to go with an entirely different keyboard layout. Quite simply, it’s less productive than the experience we get from an all-touch keyboard! We know, it’s crazy to say, but it’s true.
Aside from the keyboard, BlackBerry 10.3 just doesn’t have the completeness we’d get from other rival platforms. Indeed, the phone is a fantastic choice for the mobile professional, but it’s only catering to a small fraction of the market.
Here in the US, it’s bound to come to AT&T at some point – though, there’s no indication to how it’ll be priced when it’s available. At the moment, it can be picked up for $600 through BlackBerry’s web site and Amazon, which puts it in line to its contemporaries flagships in the space right now.
As the dust settles, the Passport can’t quite get out of customs, even though it has a passport that shows it’s capable of proceeding onward. For roughly the same amount of money, we can recommend several other flagship smartphones that have a more rounded appeal than this. Sorry Passport, you tried desperately to beat out these all-touch smartphones, but at the end of the day, your poorly laid out keyboard and antiquated software experience validates you’re just not ready for the big leagues.
Software version of the review unit: 10.3.0.738
- Stunning modern design that’s unique looking
- Impressive battery life
- Display is extremely bright and highly detailed, with accurate colors
- Touch-enabled keyboard features are useful
- Snappy performance
- Dual speakers emit deafening tones
- Keyboard layout doesn’t make any sense, it makes it tougher to type than a touchscreen
- Lack of third party apps support
- Camera takes way too long to focus and snap photos
- Poor low lighting performance with its camera
- High learning curve trying to navigate around the platform
Posts: 48; Member since: Aug 22, 2013
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 5:35 AM 11
Posts: 542; Member since: Aug 29, 2014
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 5:38 AM 3
Posts: 3165; Member since: Jun 19, 2010
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 7:02 PM 0
Posts: 1; Member since: Apr 04, 2016
posted on Apr 04, 2016, 3:23 PM 0
Posts: 219; Member since: Mar 22, 2014
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 5:40 AM 23
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 6:48 AM 9
Posts: 1122; Member since: Jul 05, 2012
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 7:14 AM 4
Posts: 3535; Member since: Dec 21, 2012
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 5:46 AM 17
Posts: 392; Member since: Aug 26, 2013
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 8:07 AM 6
Posts: 792; Member since: Sep 17, 2013
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 5:47 AM 8
Posts: 1986; Member since: Aug 15, 2013
posted on Oct 14, 2014, 6:52 AM 1
* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.
PhoneArena Comments Rules
A discussion is a place, where people can voice their opinion, no matter if it is positive, neutral or negative. However, when posting, one must stay true to the topic, and not just share some random thoughts, which are not directly related to the matter.
Things that are NOT allowed:
- Off-topic talk - you must stick to the subject of discussion
- Trolling - see a description
- Flame wars
- Offensive, hate speech - if you want to say something, say it politely
- Spam/Advertisements - these posts are deleted
- Multiple accounts - one person can have only one account
- Impersonations and offensive nicknames - these accounts get banned
Moderation is done by humans. We try to be as objective as possible and moderate with zero bias. If you think a post should be moderated - please, report it.
Have a question about the rules or why you have been moderated/limited/banned? Please, contact us.
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):
- Display 4.5" 1440 x 1440 pixels
- Camera 13 MP / 2 MP front
- Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 801, Quad-core, 2200 MHz
- Storage 32 GB + microSDXC
- Battery 3450 mAh(23h 3G talk time)