Samsung Galaxy Note 8 User Reviews

Internet9.9/10
Call quality9.9/10
Battery9.3/10

joelg1988
posted on 09 Aug 2018, 18:15 (Posts: 6; Member since: 03 Jun 2012)

This phone is a beast!

joelg1988 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have owned this phone since initial launch Sept 2017 and all I can say is WOWWWW! Everything is excellent and definitely rate this phone 9.5 out of 10. Please read cons so you can see why in my opinion lost half a star.

Pros

• Everything. Please read cons

Cons

• Battery could be bigger
  • Bixby is super annoying
  • Only offered in 2 colors in the US (black and lavender)
  • Bixby button should not exist
  • Samsung bloatware

joelg1988 alternatives:

Medevac1
posted on 03 Jun 2018, 00:42 (Posts: 13; Member since: 06 Sep 2017)

Still The One In 2018

Medevac1 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Greetings all. It's June 2018 and obviously you are searching reviews to see if the Samsung Note 8 is still worth your time and consideration. Well it's been almost a year since I traded in my LG G4 for $300 off and a free accessory from Samsung Direct and I still couldn't be any happier with my purchase. The device runs just as fast and lag-free as it day it arrived. I'm running the phone stock with the only modification being the addition of the Google Pixel camera software port for those challenging dynamic range low light shots when I just want to point and shoot as opposed to making adjustments in Pro mode. This phone has been a joy to own and use. I always receive compliments on pictures I've taken with this phone. The display is just awe inspiring and videos really pop. With the launch of the S9/S9+ and the release of the Note 9 around the corner, the price of this beast have dropped so you may be able to get a flagship Note at a mid-ranger price.

baldilocks
posted on 01 Dec 2017, 06:58 (Posts: 1320; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)

This is THE flagship phone of 2017!!!

baldilocks has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This phone just ticks way more many boxes than any other phone this year. The 6GB of RAM really keeps apps in check.

The only thing missing here is a bit bigger battery, but I'll let that slide as it charges pretty fast and has wireless charging capabilities.

• Multimedia Experience

Cons

• Battery Could Be Bigger

ColinW
posted on 13 Nov 2017, 16:46 (Posts: 408; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)

Best Phone of 2017

ColinW has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Not much to say really, I cannot find any faults, everything is fantastic. The screen is amazing, battery life good, recharging great. I love the camera and video it takes wonderful shots in good and bad light. The S-pen gets even better too.

htainlintha
posted on 09 Nov 2017, 03:00 (Posts: 69; Member since: 20 Mar 2010)

Beastly phone with gorgeous screen and great camera

htainlintha has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

It is one of the best phones I've put my hands on so far. I am really happy with their improved security features like voice passwords, iris scanner, facial scanner(can't be tricked with photos even without ticking higher security options), finger print scanners. Great performance, good battery life, nice camera.

Build quality 9/10 Aluminum and glass combination body, slippery but feels like a total premium device.
Reception 10/10 Best of the best out there!
Call quality 10/10 Great reception, great call quality,no need to be a brainer!
Internet 10/10 it works just great
Multimedia 10/10 6.3 inches, infinity display, 1440x2960, Super Amoled, perfect for viewing anything you could possibly imagine!
Camera 10/10 Dual 12MP camera, 2x zoom, OIS presents on both cameras, good 8MP front facing camera, nothing to complain!
UI speed 9/10 Samsung sense keeps improving and now it is really smooth (with 0 lags) for daily usage!
Everyday usage 10/10 It works great, the phone tries its best to fit you!
Text input 10/10 I am ok with Samsung keyboard, cos I always love to use live messages, cos it looks so cool!
Display 10/10 6.3 inches, infinity display, 1440x2960, Super Amoled. Best available out there with vibrant color! Bye iPhone 7 plus
Battery 9/10 3300 mAh,nothing to complain about it as it can last 1.5 days for me with normal usage, great stand by time, happy with fast wireless charging!

Pros

• 6.3 inches inifnity display, with WQHD resolution
  • Great dual 12MP camera with OIS
  • Bixby, yes, it is more useful with loads of features than both Google assistant and Siri!
  • 3300 mAh battery life,with fast wireless charging
  • AKG ear pieces rock great audio output
  • S-pen,now it can even makes me to change my mind to use it for fun and for work!
  • Snappy multitasking
  • DeX, gear 360, Gear VR

Cons

• Mono speaker
  • Slippery in grip

htainlintha alternatives:

Sloiz
posted on 03 Oct 2017, 00:58 (Posts: 17; Member since: 21 Jul 2017)

Superb phone

Sloiz has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Simply the best phone I ever used. The bigest thing for me is usability of new S-pen compared to older notes. S-pen simply feels wery natural to write and I don't even ned to unlock the phone. That means that during the metings the screen consumes less batery than before.
Even the cons are easy manageble.
Even if I like big phones the size of this phone is on limit. I hope future notes wont be bigger.

Even if this isn't big hardware upgrade over S8 it is big usability upgrade.

Pros

• - superb build quality
  • - camera totaly rocks
  • - reception is wery good
  • - call quality is excelent
  • - surprised at quality of speaker
  • - download speeds are awesome
  • - snapy multitasking
  • - display - no words
  • - S-pen in this phone is wery acurate and usefull
  • - price with goodies acceptable
  • - size of the screen

Cons

• - position of fingerprint scaner
  • - batery

ahmadkun
posted on 02 Oct 2017, 10:59 (Posts: 410; Member since: 02 May 2016)

the best phone i ever used

ahmadkun has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i can't believe how could samsung came out with something like this ... the phone is all in all it's keeps me away from my PC so i can do almost everything on it .. i'll describe it in one word ( amazing )

NewroticSlob
posted on 28 Sep 2017, 06:16 (Posts: 177; Member since: 09 May 2013)

Best phone so far!

NewroticSlob has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Am enjoying the phone! As others have stated in reviews, it's not a huge upgrade in some software/hardware from my Note 5. However, where there are upgrades; camera, screen, RAM, expandable memory, etc, it is awesome!

Build quality 10/10 Gorgeous phone! Feels very sturdy.
Reception 10/10 No issues.
Call quality 10/10 Calls are clear.
Internet 10/10 Always connected.
Multimedia 10/10 Awesome all around phone for business and entertainment.
Camera 10/10 Best pics I've seen from a phone, ever.
UI speed 10/10 Haven't had any lag, period!
Everyday usage 10/10 Not a power user but works great with what i do.
Text input 10/10 No issues with the touchscreen or entering information.
Display 10/10 Beautiful display!
Battery 10/10 No issues! Again, not a power user but there are apps to help. I am concerned about long term issues. I have smart chargers all over!

belieber1996
posted on 22 Sep 2018, 02:39 (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 May 2013)

Still An Awesome Phone for 2018

belieber1996 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I picked up the Galaxy Note 8 a few weeks back on the T-Mobile, and I was surprised from my initial impressions, from the huge Infinity Display and excellent camera quality, to the feature filled Android version along with Samsung Experience UI. The possibilities were being endless with the S-Pen included when taking notes, or even doodling around. I noticed 6GB of RAM makes a bit of difference when forgetting to reset your apps throughout the day, especially when the device still keeps them all in memory. The dual 12MP camera is impressive, especially with the plethora of options such as Pro Mode, AR Emoji, and Super Slo-Mo. All of these features are more than I will ever use on a regular basis, but nice options to have when the opportunity arises. Data speeds and call quality on T-Mobile's LTE were nothing to be disappoint, especially when I reached download speeds of 250Mbps+ on several occasions, and didn't hesitate in congested areas. Battery life is very good throughout my 10-hour day between work and commuting, but I'm always one to keep a charger nearby. The expandable SD card storage is a welcoming feature, even though the phone has 64GB of storage to begin with. The Note series have always been my personal favorites from Android since they offer a premium experience and a suite of features many average smartphones don't, and the Note 8 reiterates that, and then some!

Call quality 9/10 T-Mobile's HD Voice/VoLTE has improved so much, everyone comes in crystal clear given the optimal signal!
Multimedia 9/10 The speaker is impressive for a single output, and the display is gorgeous for watching videos.
Camera 9/10 The 12MP camera produces vibrant pictures with plenty of contrast and sharpness, but you would need to manually adjust in "Pro Mode" to get even better results. The 8MP front camera is excellent in good lighting, but suffers a little bit indoors.
UI speed 10/10 Not a hitch with this phone, even though it's a Snapdragon 835 from last year.
Battery 9/10 I haven't necessarily drained my battery for a full day, but I can easily make it through my 8-5 with at a least 70% charge.

Pros

• Still a great flagship for 2018
  • 6GB RAM/64GB Storage
  • Expandable SD card
  • Quad HD Infinity Display
  • Dual 12MP Camera
  • Samsung Experience UI is improved

Cons

• Weird fingerprint placement
  • Bixby button is a little annoying when pressed unintentionally

belieber1996 alternatives:

rustysurf
posted on 12 Feb 2018, 19:22 (Posts: 0; Member since: 12 Feb 2018)

Best Phone Made..so far

rustysurf has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I watch way too much YouTube and research everything on the platform to make sure I am making a good sound decision. Before I bought the Note 8 I contemplated the Google Pixel 2 XL and the iPhone X. After a few months of active use, and a few hundred pictures later, I have seen the future. I can talk about the screen, the stylus (Infinite Paint is a must download,) or the camera; which literally amazes me with its superiority over iPhone. None of that matters. The biggest strength of the Note 8 isn't it's RAM, it's the battery. With all that power comes a balanced performance between usage and creation, and it comes in the form of the Note 8's 3300mAh size battery. With normal use, you could easily get 2 days out of it, and a full day watching YouTube. It's 2018, and we still don't have flying cars, but we have the Note 8. New category: PC Phone. The first time I have ever truly felt I didn't need my laptop.

Pros

• Snapdragon 835 Processor
  • 6gb RAM
  • 3300 mAh Battery

Cons

• I need bigger hands

tserv95
posted on 24 Jan 2018, 15:19 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Jan 2018)

Truly a Flagship for 2018-2019!

tserv95 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

The phone's performance is excellent, camera is excellent, battery life is good, with Oreo coming soon I expect it to be even better. The always on display and the S Pen features set this phone apart from the competition by miles!

• UI
  • CPU is snappy
  • 6GB of RAM is plenty
  • S Pen features
  • Always On Display

Cons

• Bixby
  • Battery could be better

tonywf
posted on 03 Jan 2018, 07:09 (Posts: 0; Member since: 30 Dec 2015)

Great Piece of Machinery; the best of the 2017 Flagship Smarphones

tonywf has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This is a great phone. I bought it a couple of months ago after the Oreo 8 update zapped my Nexus 6P battery. To give this phone a proper review, I will cover both the pros (+) and cons (-), as well as overall view.

Pros (+): 1. The screen resolution, quality, is the best of any smartphone in the market. Watching a movie in 2960x1440 WQHD+ is just spellbinding. I cannot understress the screen quality on this phone. If you use a smartphone to view shows, media material, gaming, etc., the Note 8 is a must have. 2. The camera is almost as good as the screen, taking clear, colorful pictures, with obviously a dual camera, and widescreen shots. 3. Stylus (S-pen). Even if you do not typically use one, you must on this phone. It is what sets it apart from the S8 and S8+. You get used to it quickly and you realize that you can type more easily with the S-pen. Plus, you get to include signatures and other gadgets, which enhances your use of the phone. 4. UI quickness. This is a corollary of the screen quality, and very important if you use your phone for gaming or like to run multiple apps and programs on your phone.

Cons (-): 1. The battery size on the Note 8 is smaller than the Samsung 8+. This is a big mistake. I understand Samsung did not want a repeat of the exploding Note 7s, but the Note 8's battery should have been the same mAh size as the 8+. 2. Pre-installed Samsung bloatware. At some point, Samsung has to relent and stop doing this. I have to install third...

Pros

• Remarkable screen quality (WQHD+ is a must have feature).
  • Camera is among the best of any new phone.
  • Great Build.
  • Stylus adds to usability.
  • UI speed.

Cons

• Battery is smaller than the Samsung S8+.
  • Pre-installed Samsung bloatware, including Bixby.

FranciscoR98
posted on 24 Dec 2017, 04:56 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Dec 2017)

Note 8 is the best phone you can have!

FranciscoR98 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I was hipped to buy my first iphone this year, until I saw the announcements of the apple devices and I got disapointed! Then I started searching another phones and I ended up with the galaxy note 8 and I could't be happier.
The phone is a total beast, never crashes, everything plays really well, the battery IS NOT a issue for me at all, lasts all day! Sometimes even more than a day!
The camara is just perfect, I went to Switzerland to spend the holidays and I toke some amazing pictures of the snow and montains, I am really glad I bought the note 8, actually, they look like the main photos that a new phone was, the wallpapers.
The quality of call is amazing, and of course the display.. is just the best in the market! Just amazed.

Pros

• Amazing camara
  • Perfect display
  • S Pen

Cons

• Place of the fingerprint scanner

Nickm2
posted on 22 Nov 2017, 10:29 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Nov 2017)

Best Phone I've Ever Had

Nickm2 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I've had this phone since a couple days after it launched. It's hands-down the best phone I've ever used. Samsung really knocked it out of the park with this one. The screen is beautiful, the power of the phone is unbelievable, and it's just all-around the best phone I've used.

Sladi
posted on 20 Nov 2017, 15:12 (Posts: 0; Member since: 20 Nov 2017)

Perfect Phone as daily driver

Sladi has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I´m using the Galaxy Note 8 for two weeks now; had before S1, S4, Note 2, Xperia Z1, S6 edge, S7 edge, Le Eco Le Max 2. The battery life is not like the one it was on the Note 2 but it lasts for one day for me and with fast charging this is not a problem. Bought also an original samsung alcantara shell to protect my phone and it´s also great. One thing to say, the fingerprint scanner is absolutely reachable and it isn´t a problem at all, also the iris scanner works perfect even in the dark. No cons - amazing smartphone. Sorry but you can not compare this one with the Iphone X, why does the Iphone X needs a notch and the Note 8 don´t? Cause Samsung builds better smartphones - greetings to the haters! :)

Build quality 10/10 Premium build quality
Camera 10/10 Great photos and videos, the photos in portrait looks like ones from DSLR camera, absolut amazing.
UI speed 10/10 Everything runs smooth, no lags.

Sladi alternatives:

muhsintibuk
posted on 02 Nov 2017, 08:19 (Posts: 0; Member since: 02 Nov 2017)

note 8 is best

muhsintibuk has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

note 8's battery life is dead.note 8's fingerprint sensor position is bad . note 8'a camera is awesame.note 8's display is awesame.note 8 is very useful . It's a wonderful game to play and mutltimedia with note 8

Pros

Cons

• battery life :(

synysa
posted on 10 Oct 2017, 14:21 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Feb 2014)

Super Phone.

synysa has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

jlewis300c
posted on 25 Sep 2017, 15:36 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Sep 2017)

All you haters eat your heart out... Note 8 killed it!!!!

jlewis300c has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've been waiting a long time ever since the mishap of the Note 7 which was a beast of a phone best of it's kind even with the mishap it still pulled in the number so that says a lot about the device. But I switch to the S8+ which was a very solid & great phone but I needed my Note line and I have to say Samsung you hit a bulls eye with this Note 8... OMG it is excellent all around , top-to-bottom and no other phone will come close..

Battery 10/10 The battery usage is good better that what was expected... Wish for a little bit more but it'll do for me

Pros

• Well put together for a phone the best out to date.
  • style is awesome!!!
  • Hardware is 1st class no other device can come close not even apple X
  • Multi Tasking the best
  • Out of this world display
  • 6GB Ram WOW!!!!
  • S-Pen awesome!!!
  • Camera best out on the market

Cons

• Battery wasn't that big..

bdhillery
posted on 25 Sep 2017, 09:12 (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Jul 2011)

Best Note Ever!!! Major redemption from the Note 7

bdhillery has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Excellent phone...Sammie's best to date!!! Perfect size for my larger hands (I'm 6'5").

I'm coming off the Note Edge, So I'll miss things like the edge usage for like messages/notifications, the IR blaster which controlled all the tvs in-house, & the removable battery.

But overall this phone is a major step up & definitely worth the money. Only questionable thing is the battery. Does a great job reserving power when not in use, but for all the great things this phone can do it would have been nice to have a larger battery to last the full day.

Sammie mentioned an intelligent battery managment system which seems to work overall pretty well, but theres still substantial battery drainage when in heavy use that'll have you reaching for the cord 3/4 of the day thru. & since the battery is non-swappable anymore you have to be a little more aware of battery management.

Other than that, everything is top of the line in terms of performance, speed, looks, & value. Highly recommend.

Pros

• Top of the line phone almost across the board
  • -Camera!!!
  • -Great Display/ Bigger Screen
  • -Snappy multitasking
  • -6gb RAM
  • -Excellent Call Quality
  • -Majorly improved UI
  • -Gaming performance (ex. Modern Combat 5, runs perfectly smooth)
  • -SPen is MAJORLY improved (especially for drawing)

Cons

• Smaller battery than the S8...& it sometimes shows during moderately heavy usage