Motorola E815 / E816 Hollywood User Reviews

worx posted on Sep 18, 2009, 5:58 PM

Very Solid Phone

I have had this phone for over 4 years and it still works great. I have had no issues with it and I even get longer battery life than my brothers LG enV touch and my sisters LG chocolate.

Pros

• Long Battery Life
  • Good Signal Reception
  • Good Build Quality
  • Nice Phone OS

Cons

• Camera quality looks faded/washed out

Anonymous posted on Aug 05, 2009, 3:14 AM

Still good, just network issues

I've had this phone since 2007 IIRC. My father had one too, but it had outdated firmware and would often run out of battery, so he didn't like the phone. Mine still works with no issues. Never freezes up. The only issues are all in regards to Verizon as a service, issues that even other Verizon customers I know have encountered. Delayed text reception up to three days, recieving voice mail days later when the phone never rang on the recieing phone's end of the line, and deleting voice mail for it to still be there days, maybe even months later.

Outside of the service quirks which happen every so often, the phone itself is overall fine and very reliable. I'll be dissapointed if Verizon does something to make it obsolete on the network, as so far what I've seen and read of the majority of new phones makes the idea of staying a Verizon customer undesired if this phone can no longer work. Evrything new either has recption issues, battery issues, glitches in firmware, or the screens die. What good is a service if the phones don't last?

Pros

• Battery life is fine as long as you have settings adjusted right
  • Custom BG Images Possible with MicroSD Card + Phoo Manipulation Program (use defalts for size templaes, crop images, transfer)
  • Respectably durable

Cons

• No QWERTY keyboard
  • It is bulky
  • Camera is sorta crummy, but at least it has one
  • Screen is not the best in colors,

Anonymous posted on Jun 15, 2008, 2:22 AM

im on my third one cuz i just cant seem to lose it for good but its a great phone and i am glad i have it!!

Anonymous posted on Apr 17, 2008, 8:49 PM

Extend battery life

Found this in forum :

If you own the Motorola e815 and have terrible battery life, it may be caused by your phone switching between the 1x data network and the newly realeased (in some major cities) EV-DO. For instance, I am in the Bay Area and EV-DO has not been fully released. When I first got e815 my battery drained with 15 hours of moderate use. After I disabled the EV-DO, I could easily go 2-3 days. Keep in mind, you will no longer be able to use the V-CAST until you enable this feature. Also, if you start playing with the settings that I am about to cover, you WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. In no way is PhoneArena.com in any way responsible for any effects that this "hack" has on your phone. Having said that, here are the steps.

Enable TEST MODE:
-Default code is 000000
4. Scroll to option "Test Mode" and select it
5. Choose "Enable" and exit to the main screen

Turn on TEST MODE and change settings
1. Hit the left soft key and the menu key simotauniously until a white screen appears with the letters "FTS" on top.
2. Hit the right soft key three (3) times
3. Scroll down to "HDR Pref:" and select "CDMA" with the right soft key
4. Scroll down to "HDR Hybr:" and select "off" with the right soft key
5. Push the left soft key and "EXIT"
6. Exit test mode by the same key combination as you did to enter...

FBrooks posted on Apr 12, 2008, 4:59 PM

Best Reception Ever

This is the best phone I've ever owned. I've had many opportunities to swap it out, but in the end, it's all about the phone and reception, and there is no better in my opinion. I will be buying backups on eBay as I doubt any manufacturer will beat the phone in pure performance.

Tyler posted on Apr 03, 2008, 4:08 PM

love this phone!!

I got this a few days ago off ebay, a rare black one (my opinion looks much better than the silver one) great reception, mp3 player volume isn't that loud but loud enough to hear on a bus. This phone can have an FM radio, but you need a special earpiece from motorola (i got one) good phone with texting, camera, ect... Would really recommend this phone.

Kyle posted on Mar 25, 2008, 5:51 PM

Decent phone, but I am ready to upgrade

This phone has lasted me almost two years, but there were many times I wasn't sure if it would. The main problem I had with it was getting it to connect with the charger. Everytime I have to charge it I have to wiggle the charger where it connects with the phone. Many times when I plug it in there is no response. Sometimes the phone says it is charging, but after several hours, the battery is still dead. Thankfully the charge usually lasts me 3 days or so, so I have put up with this problem.

One other thing, particles of dirt/sand are easily caught in the hinge area at the top the phone. This causes a lot of scratches on the very cool looking silver area.

I do really like the size of the screen. It's so much bigger than the phone i had before.

dp posted on Mar 18, 2008, 10:15 PM

great phone

I have been using this phone for almost three years now, and can't really complaint other than the first year it would shut off by itself. After replacing it under the warranty, I haven't had any problems with it. Great signal strength and sound quality. I could say this is the best phone I have ever had. I have been looking for a replacement for a year now since my contract expired and haven't really found any phone that would appeal to me like this Motorola.

Eric Meyer posted on Dec 11, 2007, 8:27 PM

Best phone ever

I have had this phone for approx 2 years. It is not the most feature rich phone or the slimmest or the coolest, but having said that this phone is the best ever. The reception is great, the response of the key pad is great, the usability is great. I use this phone as a home phone and as a work phone and I hate to give it up. I am currently looking for a new phone to upgrade to with Verizon and I am having a difficult time finding a phone that will be the 2nd best phone ever.

Kelly posted on Nov 09, 2007, 10:07 PM

motorola E815

I have had this phone for 2 and a half yrs ,no problems what so ever ,it's really been a great phone.I would recommend this phone to all.

Josh posted on Aug 16, 2007, 11:06 AM

Not bad... but not great.

I've had the phone for about 2 years now. It has a lot of features for an older phone (it's taken other phones a long time to catch up). I have to admit, it is very durable, easy to use, and it's a good all around phone. I have however, had problem after problem while trying to charge it. Sometimes it will just shut off when I plug it in, other times it will do nothing at all until you wiggle it around for like 5 minutes. It has completely lost it's reliablility, as the alarm clock works when it wants to, and there have been times where the phone would just cut off completely. With all this said, if Motorolla simply cleaned up some of the quirks and came up with a newer look, this would be a phenomenal phone.

andrew posted on Jul 25, 2007, 10:02 PM

awsome phone

i had recently had the wafer from alltel that phone was tarable i have the e815 it is one of the best phones i have gad it gets great covorage and batterie life the phnoe is an exelent phone i would relly recomend this phone

Nick posted on Jul 07, 2007, 12:01 PM

Good, functional, reliable phone

I've had the phone for two years and I've had very little trouble with it. Definitely durable and a leather case is worth looking into to really protect it. Camera isn't too hot but the flash function for the camera acted as a great flashlight in dark situations. Couldn't find a way to take videos longer than 15 seconds. Speakerphone is ok, fades sometimes/hard to hear. No games standard, which was kind of a let down at first. For a regular flip phone, screen size is much bigger than compared to a lot of other phones. Battery life was decent, but once I started playing games/using apps, the battery drained fairly quick. Kind of disappointing that after a full night (8 hours) or more of charging the battery decreases rapidly over the course of a few hours. Not fantastic for a music player. Alert functions were decent. Wasn't keen on the "Vibrate then ring". Vibrate is on the weak side, which made answering before the voicemail a challange at times. Good phone for texting - good sized buttons. Screen only froze once or twice over two years, pretty easy to trouble shoot. Bluetooth drains the battery a bit, but it's good to have.

Overall, a prettty standard and very reliable phone for just about anyone. I'm upgrading to a Chocolate soon, but if I don't like it within the first three or so weeks, I'm returning it and going back to this one!

Jeff posted on Apr 23, 2007, 1:13 AM

6.6

Worst Phone

When I first signed up with Verizon Wireless I got the E815. I really did like the phone a lot, with the design, and features, but the performance was horrible. It would freeze, while in a converstaion, text, or just because, the phone would reset and either the call would be disconnected, I would lose the text I was in the process of, etc... I had four of these phones in the course of two months. The phone got to the point where it would give me a message when I would try to charge it, saying "Unable to Charge". I bought a new charger, and had the phone tested. I really do miss this phone, and if Verizon would bring back a much better version of this phone, I would consider buying it.

Daniel posted on Mar 15, 2007, 5:13 AM

Good phone at a discount price!

I just got the E816 a few days ago and it's the best cell phone i have ever owned. The sound is crystal clear,the menus are very easy to navigate and it has a nice amount of internal memory(30mb).Downloading music,games and video is simple but the one gripe i have with this phone is that it locks up a lot.During the three days ive had this phone it's froze up on me at least 10 times while i was browsing Ampd live. The signal strength is good most of the time but has a nasty habbit of decreasing,but this is a minor gripe.The one thing that really holds this phone back is the lack of external music controls,which should be standard now a days.This phone is very nice but i must worn you that if you have a problem with it your not going to get much help from Ampd mobile customer care.I wanted to have the adult content blocker turned off and couldn't find out how,so i called Ampd Customer care and they didn't have a clue! I've called them five times already and the issue still hasn't been resolved. Over all, the E816 is a good,solid phone at a discount price.Oh yeah,i forgot to let you know that this phone has issues with 1GB micro SD cards,so you might want to stick with a 512MB instead.

guy guata posted on Feb 24, 2007, 12:29 AM

wow!

the phone very good.
it has bluetooth nice and very good camera.
usb new, g3 not slow.
mp3 with mini sd.
design very nice in colors bkack but very fat.

Arlene posted on Dec 14, 2006, 12:02 PM

Best Phone Ever! Verizon should bring this one back

I have purchase over eight cell phones, and this on is the best! It's definitely a keeper, Love my phone and love the service. Verizon should put this one back on there list it one of the best phones ever, all the features you could ever want and more in a cell phone excellent choice easy to use and classy. Arlene

simsk posted on Sep 26, 2006, 11:48 PM

Hollywood - love it!

Love the solid feeling of this phone! Beatiful design. Software is a little glitchy but does work. Love to know how to get my mp3 as ringers and alerts. I am using the pay-as-you go plan. Love the access without a contract (Thank you AMP'd) and the customer service getting it manually progrmmed was very good and spoke clear english - I appreciate that!
Thanks amp'd keep it up and you'll have a customer for life!

A. Burgandy posted on Jul 23, 2006, 5:53 PM

4.4

E815, the worst phone you will ever own? Yes, probably.

No Kidding

I purchased the Motorola E815 with my new verizon wireless plan last month, and only because it was the cheapest phone showed to me by the store rep. I paid 49.99 for the phone after rebates. Powering up the phone I realized how bright and brilliant the screen is. It is very easy to read text on the large screen, it is a shame the combination of motorola and verizon wireless make this phone such a bore. Verizon After the initial setup was complete, I recieved a call and experienced first-hand how loud and robust the ringer is on this phone. In hindsight I should have opted for the razor or one of the LG phones instead. The first week I had this phone the charging function no longer worked. After replacing the battery, the problem remains, and customer service says there seems to be nothing wrong with the phone. Now I have to spend half an hour plugging the charger in and out trying to make the battery charge. And that is just the functional aspect of the phone. In addition to this there is an incredible list of problems with phone features and interfaces:

-Phone doesn't charge 90% of the time
-HORRIBLE reception, even with antenna extended
-Bluetooth is virtually disabled by verizon
-Motorola UI is unintiutive and stupidly complicated
-Limited Language support (only english and spanish)
-Bulky and heavy (especially compared to phones with similar functions)
-Cannot save mp3's to internal memory

james Villan posted on Jul 12, 2006, 5:11 PM

I wish verizon had it on black

Over all is a really cool phone afortable reliable
I had it for almost 2 moths now and i love it the only problem is i wish verizon could offer it in black! it look alot more sleek
I love my phone

Marko posted on Jun 29, 2006, 9:31 PM

Love the phone

Great phone great signal strenght and value, the camera works great. I love the blue tooth feature and now i can't live without it. aIuse Verizon and i have not lost a call yet and i would suggest to everyone to buy this phone.

Kellye posted on Jun 18, 2006, 1:33 AM

Like it much

All of my former phones were Samsung, but I wanted an affordable Bluetooth phone, and this one fit my price range. I've been very impressed with the reception and battery life compared to my previous Samsungs. I have also found the larger size to be a bonus. The voice recognition is a huge step up from my other phones. Overall, in the 4 months I've had it, it's a fantastic phone for me.

eddsmetz posted on Jun 08, 2006, 3:57 PM

I purchased this phone two months ago and it is well worth it. The speaker is awesome, the battery life is pretty long, and the screen is amazing. The camera is adequate, and I like the video feature. I am bummed a bit by Verizon not letting you download mp3's directly to the phone...darn GET IT NOW.

I am looking into that one. Overall, I highly recommend this phone!!!

Anonymous posted on May 12, 2006, 1:08 AM

This is an awesome phone!

I was in love with this phone as soon as I bought it!
It has SO many features in which you can customize it [such as wallpaper, skin, everything!]

When I went to buy the E815, the seller there had one too! He also said almost everyone he knows at Verizon has an E815!

-Really good reception
-Big screen, easy to see pictures.
-volume is loud
-picture quality really nice!
-A LOTTTT to customize! [i love this the most]
-if you buy a little memory card, you can transfer files onto your phone
-up to 15 sec. of video recording

EARTH posted on Jan 24, 2006, 3:46 PM

No Good...

I am usually a faithful Samsung phone user, but when I switched to Verizon I decided to step outside my comfort zone and purchase this Motorola E815. BIG MISTAKE! This phone freezes and deletes stores pictures just because it feels like it. I have ringtones set for different people on my contact list and the phone decided it would be to scramble those around too. SUCKS! The speaker quality is good and the MP3 player works fine. But overall a bad purchase decision.