LG Dare User Reviews

7.1
6.5
7.5

Dale posted on Jul 17, 2008, 8:58 PM

I can't be more happy with this purchase. I had my doubt on the phone when I first saw it. Personally I dont think it has the best look out there(I even liked the shiny decoy better) and I had trouble texting with the qwert board. But I still decided to buy it because my plan ended and I wanted to allow more time for me to get used to the dare. And I am happy that I made the decision. once I get used to the touch screen everything becomes so fantastic. I dont have any more trouble with texting and now I can type messages almost as fast as I chat online in front my desk using full computer keyboard. It's one of the electriconic things you will see lovely features as well as convenient usage. The phone dazzled me but I have to say verizon dissapointed me. The full internet access comes with a $79 data plan plus $40 calling plan. It is RIPPiing of my money. And it only gave me $50 as 2 year discount on the new phone. (They told me it would be 100 when I renewed my plan two years ago) I just wish I had been given more choices with internet browsing. But hey ,it';s not the phone's fault. After all, it's a solid new decade phone.

abe posted on Jul 17, 2008, 3:19 PM

Don't Dare buy until you Test Drive

i also bought a new Dare, thinking Verizon finally caught up to the iphone, i was sadly mistaken and so are the reviews as they seem very high for a phone that has basic navigation issues. the scrolling is horrendous and so is the interface. the base features are great, but getting to them is a pain, i understand the iphone has some serious feature issues, notwithstanding call quality, but navigating a phone is as important as having great features, b/c what's the point if its a pain to use. they might as well not exist. and more importantly you can't select the sensitivity, only location, so pressing down on glass gets a bit annoying after awhile. and the net is nothing to talk about, looks so 90s. seems like lg, packaged a phone with great features on a great network and forgot about the rest of the phone. i'd wait for blackberry's Black Thunder or go back and see if this first batch was just filled with bugs.

anonymous posted on Jul 17, 2008, 1:17 PM

Sweet!

This phone is awesome.

The Good: perfect size, great style. Menus light years ahead of other verizon stuff and can be customized. I always hated their menus but love the network and now I've got the best of both worlds. Contrary to a lot of previous reviews I find the touch screen to have no issues. I have big fingers and almost never hit a wrong key. I heard that calibrating with a scribe rather than your finger helps things - that's what I did and I have no issues. Scrolling is easy and a quick flick causes the screen to keep scrolling just like the iPhone. I like that the music is on sd cards - I can have as many 8gb cards as I want so there's no limit to how much music you can have. Signal-wise it seems to be a bit better than my razr. Battery life is awesome. It great that you don't need a program to sync music or what have you onto this thing. It just opens up like a usb drive and you drag and drop into the appropriate folder. Sound quality while talking on the phone is fantastic - better than any phone I've used before.

The Not-So-Good: Music player menus aren't as slick as the iPod (but what else is as good as that...?) It also doesn't really have enough volume. It's fine for headphones but if I hook it up to my stereo the levels aren't hot enough. The sound is okay - not bad but not great either. Screen wise I periodically hit a button and nothing happens - i get the vibration and the button lights up but nothing. This doesn't happen often and hitting...

Mark posted on Jul 17, 2008, 1:38 AM

Amazing Mobile phone

Great screen and excellent UI and very user friendly

Much better Camera than the Iphone!!

Frank posted on Jul 17, 2008, 1:05 AM

Its about time

I had aproblem with my enV phone and verizon sent me the Dare for free. Its a great phone and the camra is great. Wish the screen was bigger but I wish I was taller. The music player is the best.I wish my ex was as good as the Dare

Scott posted on Jul 16, 2008, 6:39 PM

Two major weaknesses...I am returning the phone.

The phone looks great and is lightweight. A major problems with this is the signal strength. it can sit next to my Motorola (MotoKRZR), the Motorola will have three bars and the LG will have one. The LG drops calls where I have no problem with the Motorola.
The touch-screen keyboard does not work as well as the Apple iTouch, and at times I end up selecting things I don't want and other times the touch doesn't register and I have to touch it multiple times for the key to register.
The battery life meter is not very accurate; it will go from four bars to three to completely dead without even using it. I had high hopes for this phone and was very happy with the design, but overall I will end up trading the phone for something else, since I need something with a better signal strength.

sun posted on Jul 16, 2008, 1:57 PM

LOVE IT!!

the best phone ive ever had!!! i wouldnt trade it for the Iphone i like the camera with flash asd im able to send pictures unlike the iphone!! and i do im as well so this phone has it all!!!!

Ruben (GOwireless) posted on Jul 16, 2008, 1:10 PM

kick butt phone

this dare phone in my opinion is the best phone that verizon has to offer. When I first saw the voyager and iphone i feel in love with them. when i first heard about the dare i completly forgot about the other 2 phones. The only problem i have with this phone is that it did'nt come with a stylist. The camera is awsome!!!!! great good LG and VERIZON you finally got it right!!!!!!!

Anonymous posted on Jul 16, 2008, 10:55 AM

5.8

very poor call quality

I like the phone's features looks,design, size everything but the call quality.The calls were cutting in and out.I have never had a drop call with verizon until this phone.I had the lg vx8700 before this one big difference in the call quality

charles posted on Jul 16, 2008, 6:09 AM

? Bluetooth

This is the most sofisticated phone I have ever owned. Only had it for 4 days. It is great in every way. I have one question though, I have had people I've talked to on Bluetooth that the sound is cutting out or muffled. I've tried the Jawbone, Jabra, and now an H12 Motorola.Not much difference. Any ideas?

Marsico2981 posted on Jul 16, 2008, 12:45 AM

Dare Lover...

So I've had my share of nice new "techy" phones. Even though I'm just a general user and don't use it for work or anything, this phone is way better than any I've EVER had!

Went from Moto Rzr to the Blackberry Pearl to the Voyager. I loved the Voyager, until a month into ownership it went sour. Not just once...but 3 times. Such a bad phone I actually ended up with the Dare for FREE from Verizon.

From the design to the neat features, writing texts with my hands is the best...lol, to the quality of sound and signal strength...This phone would have been worth it for Full Retail.

james villan posted on Jul 14, 2008, 6:28 PM

I LOVE THIS

this phone is the best thin ever made!!! LG rocks!!!!!! its the bomb!!!!!!!!! sorry but the iphone got nothing on the dare come on first full touchscreen 3.2 meg cam pluss video pluss revA!!!!!!!!!!! is sweet@! please tell me the iphone suck! cause i know it does do you knw!?

Troy posted on Jul 14, 2008, 2:38 PM

Best Verizon phone out

I upgraded to the lg dare from the Lg Env. I've had the phone for almost 2 weeks and the camera is GREAT!, and the touch sensibility is really good, i was surprised, but I would recommend this phone to anyone that has verizon. and the sound of the calls are great, the whole phone is great and stylish, and all your friends will be hating on you when they see it. Also its really simple to operate after you use it for like 30 min, and you should know how to use everything. MP3 player is real cool because you can got back to the main menu and it will still be playing and you could operate it from there. HTML browser is pretty fast and good also. Overall the phone deserve a rating of 13 on a scale from 1-10!!!

Al posted on Jul 14, 2008, 11:32 AM

Would not recommend

After using the DARE for 1 week (4 hrs talk and 6 hrs web) I found this phone to be of a moderate value. The voice recognition software was very poor , I used the train voice recognition feature and had no improvement. The voice recognition timed out and did not recongnize comands. My previous Motorola(RAZR) phone had great voice recognition. I found the caller id display to be a bit strange, the phone number of the incoming calls had a larger font than the name which took some getting used too. When receiving and incoming call I had to really look for the name. Also the vibrate feature was extremely poor, when set in vibrate(ring) mode I would miss calls as the vibration was so weak. Also I found the touch screen to be hard to use while surfing the web, it did not want to accept the touch commands . Overall the phone is a disappointment! I love my Verizon service and hope they come out with a better touch screen model soon.

Ray I posted on Jul 13, 2008, 8:29 PM

I love my new phone

I love the following:
It's a light phone
It's thin
It looks great
The touch screen is bright and clear
I LOVE the virtual keyboard
It's easy to figure out without reading the directions.
Battery life is very good

Dislike:
The touch screen is difficult at times.

Tom posted on Jul 13, 2008, 7:17 PM

Highly recommended!

I've had this phone since it hit the market and I have had no problems whatsoever! Having owned the iPhone I can say that I do not miss it or AT&T. This phone does everything I need very well!

Doug posted on Jul 13, 2008, 12:55 PM

The Dare- Dares to be Unique

I actually purchased the Dare on July 5, 2008. So compared to the "tire kickers" who offer opinions regarding this phone, I can honestly speak from experience.

Design: The Dare is amazing, the LG UI is much improved over the Verizon "Red screen" UI that they've used since 1998. The "candy bar" design is much easier to use than most clam shell designs I've used in the past. All functions are readily available from a tactile 3" screen.

Performance: The Dare has by far the best fringe area performance of any cell phone I've used. I know that some might argue that the proximity of the towers is the the primary reason why a phone does or does not work. However, the Dare still maintains tower connection when other phones have completely lost signal (I've had 3 LG's and 1 Motorola phone over the past 3 years).

Provider Performance: Verizon may still be using CDMA but it's a reliable service and GSM simply does not have the network to support a reliable and true network from coast-to-coast. In the Pacific North West, AT&T simply does not have an adequate network with the exception of Seattle and Portland. People actually live in the interior of both Oregon and Washington.

Suggested improvements: The camera reverts to default settings thus personal settings are not maintained. This is not a huge problem but would be a nice touch. The word pad is nice, but you have to use BlueTooth to transfer text files. Again, this isn't a major problem but using sync with USB isn't...

Anonymous posted on Jul 13, 2008, 9:58 AM

and i want this phone really bad

really really really bad. i was playing with the display phone in the store for hours haha its so much fun and its a great phone. It is a must have!!!

Sam posted on Jul 13, 2008, 1:39 AM

Best Phone ever!

This phone is sturdy, I dropped it three times and it worked fine. Best Phone EVER!

tommyboy posted on Jul 12, 2008, 11:05 PM

iPhone killer

This phone is better than even the iPhone 3G, by far. GET IT OR WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! I love this phone, after having it for more than two weeks, and have never had a problem yet (even after getting some water and sand on it at the beach). Best phone on the market today.

Herez posted on Jul 12, 2008, 5:59 PM

Don't get this phone from a franchise store!!!

I love this phone!!! It's totally awesome... I bought it and loved it!! It has everything i want... I had some issues with it and tried to return it but the franchise store where i got it from did not want to help me out!! Next time i'll go corporate!! GO VZW and LG!! you rock!!!

tyler posted on Jul 12, 2008, 5:37 PM

great phone

after having really low tech phones in the past, i decided to upgrade to a really nice one. i bought the Dare recently and im loving it. i c people say how the keyboard n scrolling isnt very good. maybe they have stubby fingers? idk. i do think it takes a little bit to get used to scrolling and txting. but once u get used to how the phone is set up and works its great! battery life is awesome. had the phone since wed(its sat now) and ive still got 2 of 4battery bars left. the internet also browses qutie fast. actually faster than some of my friends computers, haha. and the picture quality is great. although, just my opinion. i think the picture looks better when not using smart pic or face detection. i just let the auto focus do its thang. but anyways. i def recommend the dare, its sleek, the black theme looks awesome! and its got just about everything u really need. i have a 1gb memory card in mine, def would suggest gettin one so u can hold more music,video, pics

Anonymous posted on Jul 12, 2008, 3:37 PM

Camera Flash Preferences Are Not Saved

Camera preferences for the flash are not saved as reported by #36. I reported this to Verizon and they are going to file a software update request.

Jamie posted on Jul 12, 2008, 10:38 AM

Pleasantly Surprised

I was actually very surprised by the Dare. I was expecting a completely crippled phone from Verizon but they really did make an attempt to make a good phone this go around. I have not been disappointed by anything yet. I only have features that I want that it doesn't offer: A dictionary for the QWERTY mode input and Wi-Fi. I knew it didn't have Wi-Fi from the beginning though and a dictionary is promised in future updates. The touch screen responds great and the haptic feedback is a great feature and is probably one of the main reasons I'm keeping the phone because I can't stand the iPhone's input modes and lack of any feedback. Overall I definitely recommend this for a non-business setting. It has basic office features such as email and web browsing but it's not aimed toward that specific user. I have so far been very happy with my Dare and can't wait for future updates for more.

MANUEL posted on Jul 11, 2008, 5:06 PM

LG-DARE GREAT CHOICE

I waited a long time to upgrade my phone because I was looking for something that would have the capabilities of the iphone on the Verizon camp. I iphone is pretty decent, but I am not a fan of the ATT-APPLE monopoly on the iphone AND the hype and price of the iphone were too much to put up with.

I looked at the Env, Glyde and Voyager, and also at some fo the PDA type phones, and I had decided to wait another year until I could be impressed with some decent design. I then heard about the DARE

I read the reviews (mostly very positive), and although I could not find a user's manual online (I usually look at the manual before I buy electronic stuff...) I went to a Verizon store to check it out. Needless to say, I own one now because I was so impressed by it. This phone has a TRUE HTLM browser. I can go to pages like yahoo-finance, and check out charts, etc, go to amazon and look for a book, or simply check an article on wikipedia. I was very impressed when out of curiousity I went to youtube and was able to VIEW STREAMING VIDEOS right from the site!!!

The touch screen should be advertised like a PDA, since a stylus makes live A LOT EASIER. The phone is pretty good to use with your fingers when text messaging (using the QWERTY keyboard) or when using the virtual keypad to dial, end, send, etc., but if you are going to browse, the stylus is a must.

The phone can be connected via USB to a PC, and video/audio files can be dragged and dropped into it (it can...