LG Dare User Reviews

6.5
7.5
7.1

cdog posted on Sep 16, 2008, 3:44 AM

the envy is worth its weigt in gold

i have  had the envy  after having the  razor  the grey one ,   and i cant tell you how much better it is.Thats all i have to compare.   i beat on it dropped it  ?   lost count  pretty much every  day   and i mean hard        ITs texting  capabilities are great   if you want a phone that that is good prefomance  and not looking for  a laptop on your phone to impress god knows who this is your  phone , hands down

Nate posted on Sep 15, 2008, 2:22 PM

I loves me some Dare

Awesome phone. I was skeptical at first because c'mon... it's all touch screen. I wasn't sure if I would like the fact that aside from the three basic buttons on front and the side diddlies it was purely a touch screen. My main concern was the texting. After a few minutes of getting used to it, I almost find the texting to be better than a regular phone. True, its a little tricky at first but once you get the hang of it it is almost easier than a regular phone. If not easier its a lot more fun. Features are really nice. I didn't get the navigator or v-cast or any of that other jazz simply because the phone itself (even with a 2-year contract) was pretty expensive. But the set-up and completely unnecessary features like writing letters that the phone converts into text and turning it on its side to get the full QWERTY keyboard(keep in mind QWERTY is probably one of the easiest things to type on a computer) are really interesting. Sure to brighten up a boring day. The call quality is pretty good. A bit odd to hold a rectangle to your ear and talk into it but thats how most phones are nowadays. Another cool feature is when you hold the phone to your ear the screen turns off but when you put it down to look at it the screen comes back on. Again very unnecessary but very cool especially when checking voicemail and things. I'd say its the best phone I've ever had the opportunity to own (but thats true with every new phone I get). Even if you don't like the phone... it still makes you...

Pros

• Looks nice(in turn makes you look nice)
  • Fun features
  • Good call quality
  • Cool texting
  • Very nice picture quality
  • Touch screen

Cons

• Tricky texting at first

Josh R posted on Sep 08, 2008, 1:32 AM

Awesome Phone

I have the Lg Dare.  This is the best phone that verizon has ever came out with.  It works very similar to the iphone, but since this phone works on sensor touch screen and the iphone works on electricity generated from your fingers, it is not as responsive but for a CMDA provider at this time this is the best phone, IMO.

Pros

• Touch Screen
  • Clear Call
  • Touch Screen
  • 2 ways to input text
  • Touch Screen
  • various texting methods
  • Touch Screen(sorry just had to get that across lol)
  • Good Battery Life
  • Fast 3G (faster than an iphone)
  • smaller than i phone

Cons

• Not an iphone
  • TouchScreen i screwy sometimes
  • FingerPrints(i have installed the invisibleShield it helps alot)

Q Duggie posted on Aug 27, 2008, 2:27 PM

FIRST REVIEW PLUS TIP

I have had my Dare for about two weeks I switch from BlackBerry Pearl. I know it may sound odd but I love the change. The touchscreen is far more responsive than the trackball on the BB pearl. I know that the BB pearl has the email thing but i can get my email on the dare just the same. The 3.2 mp camera is another plus for the Dare. I am a dreamer but slow motion video on a phone ? I LOVE IT !!!!!  In my book Dare vs. Pearl THE DARE WINS. This is my first review hope i did ok . LOL
Insted of looking for and/or buying a screen protector just leave the one on there that ships on the Dare take a single edge razor and cut the tab off and there you have it a FREE screen protector. Just a little tip.

Pros

No Pros

Cons

• The many steps you have to take in order to have custom ringtones.

Debbie posted on Aug 26, 2008, 5:34 PM

I LOVE IT!!

I just got the dare 2 days ago and im still learning! i love it. i have had many phones and just upgraded from the envy and though i miss my keboard texing cause of the buttons i still love this phone. To the other people who say this is not a cell phone? if my corrections were right i bought this at Verizon as a Cell phone...stupid and people complaning about mobile Tv hahah Watch a real tv why dont u. This phone is all in all a keeper.

Pros

No Pros

Cons

• Touch Key boad is a lil wierd at first but im sure i will get us to it after time

Anonymous posted on Aug 25, 2008, 8:37 PM

best verizon phone to this day. great reception. mostly everywhere i go i have 4 bars of EV-DO and 3 1X bars. good camera with editing tools. bluetooth pics, video, and sound. USB mass storage. Multi-task music (only works navigating main menu, browser) and it would be better if can work with all apps. EV-DO Rev. A is great for downloading music, video, send pics, and internet. only let down that it doesn't have Vcast Mobile TV. I hope they make another Dare with TV.

Josh posted on Aug 24, 2008, 2:50 PM

BEST PHONE OUT!!!

I've was considering 3 phones to buy when my contract expired. I was considering the enV2, Voyager and Dare. I tried them all out in the store and none of the even compared to the dare the touch screen is great and all the features are great, the internet is fast. you can check your e-mail there is a 3.2 megapixal camerathe navigation system is GREAT. Overall its a great phone. But the only slight down side is it dosent have Mobile T.V, Which is really a big deal. The LG Dare the greatest phone there is out on the market

David Butson posted on Aug 23, 2008, 3:06 PM

terrible bluetooth audio

the phone over all is ok. the touch screen is responsive as long as you turn off the vib feed back. the audio and signal is ok. the bluetooth audio does not work. no one can hear me. i've tried three different phones and 4 different headsets so it has to be a bad design. i hope verizon/lg will fix the problem soon.

Stephen posted on Aug 21, 2008, 7:33 AM

Good if it is what you need

After returning the phone 2 times for software issues I finally got one that worked perfectly. After purchasing my Dare my company provided me with a BB Curve. I will say that if you are looking for a cheap smart phone alternative this is a nice option ($15 compared to $$$$). After working with my Curve and Dare I realized that I do not like talking on a "brick" style phone. The voice quality is not as good because the microphone is too far from my mouth. I returned the Dare for the LG Chocolate 3 and love it.

Good
Signal strength
Battery life
Browser
Cheap internet

Bad
Voice sound quality
Hard to see screen in sun
Hard to dial while driving
Scrolling - Stylus helps

flint posted on Aug 20, 2008, 12:22 AM

Well this phone is awesome. and txting while driving is dumb no matter what phone. I picked one up today just because the previous phone was not base jumping worthy. Anyways full of useless features i'll never use except music and calls. Touch screen gets all iffy with these fat mits I use on it. I love it though.... it sleeps with me and I cuddle it and named it Stripper Lacy. Camera is badass. I want it to have my kids too.

Guus Schippers posted on Aug 19, 2008, 5:35 PM

Agree with Dave

Having an LG VX8700 (which I think is still the best and coolest looking phone to date!), being a gadget freak, I still went to the Verizon store here in Helena, MT to actually see and touch the Dare.
Although it has a lot of features and looks very nice, I have to agree with Dave that it is not a phone. It is also not a PDA and not a Smartphone. I think it is OK for games and video, but if you want a cell phone, don't buy this one. Using a phone while driving should be forbidden in all of the US (I've seen too many big driving mistakes made by people who "were on the phone"), so that is not a deciding factor. But if you want a cell phone, just buy a phone with 1, 2, 3, etc. to be pushed without first having to choose the phone part.
I think that these days the public goes for a "gadget" rather than for a basic phone and that is what the OEMs go after. Look at the video demonstration of the Dare and you know what I mean. The man explains everything about the Dare, except the phone capabilities!

Shannon posted on Aug 19, 2008, 1:01 PM

LOVE IT

For the "common sense" guy that stated the phone sucked because he can't text while driving because he can't feel around for the buttons, you are an idiot. If YOU had any common sense you would know that you shouldn't be texting while driving. I don't care how good you are at feeling around for numbers, you still aren't paying attention to the road. You shouldn't even be allowed to have a phone, or drive.

ANYHOW,

This phone is awesome. The touch screen is extremely intuitive and I'm able to text like a rockstar. When I first arrived at verizon, I knew what I did NOT want to purchase; a calculator-looking phone, touch screen, the Iphone or a phone w/o a full keyboard. However, I did want a phone with a decent camera because my niece broke my digital cam screen and I didn't want to fork out the money for both a camera AND a phone at once. I saw the LG DARE and walked up to it. It was a touch screen. ugh. Exactly what I was afraid of. I played with it anyways and instantly wanted it. I couldn't believe the accuracy, and the layout is wonderful. Not to mention, it's sexy and sleek and fits wonderfully in my pocket or purse. The camera is incredible for a phone; It has pretty much all of the options my camera did and a FLASH. I did not hesitate to purchase it. It's been 2 weeks now and I still don't have any complaints. It's so simple to use and sounds great. I only use speaker phone when I'm alone and people have no idea I'm on speaker like they did when I was using my samsung...

Dave posted on Aug 14, 2008, 10:38 AM

This is valuable info for anyone who actually wants to use the Dare for what it is... A PHONE

Personally I don't want my work following me everywhere I go, and I don't lack common sense... so I can't say I've ever felt the urge to use navigation on my phone. If you are using this phone for a NORMAL phone, DON'T get it. The concept behind a touchscreen phone sucks. I can text and drive with absolutely no issue of distraction with a keypad phone, however you can't do that with this phone because you simply can't feel your way around the keypad. After typing in 9-3-2 which is supposed to be "yea" but ends up always being "web", the phone doesn't learn your T9 style. My Audiovox 8940 has technology on it thats 8 years old yet it still remembers my preferences in the order in which I use them. The software programmers were extremely preoccupied with the internet and navigation options and forgot to engineer common sense into this phone. Whenever you hit the screen it gives you a positive feedback tone regardless if you took down a letter or not. Thats extremely annoying because whats the point of a feedback tone if nothing happens. As a computer guy myself, I'm appalled at what they were thinking, its a matter of a simple conditional which would be no more than 5 lines of code (for the computer inclined). My Audiovox got ran over by my car face open and was left in the rain for 3 hours (all in the same event) and still worked... I'm already on my second Dare from dropping it off my lap. Unless you are a facebook addict, which too many people are becoming, this phone...

mateo patrick posted on Aug 13, 2008, 5:23 PM

OK PEOPLE I JUST HAVE TO SAY THE DARE IS THE AWSOME. iT IS PROBABLY THE BEST PHONE OUT RIGHT NOW FOR VERIZON. THE INTERNET CABILITY IS A LIL DIFFICULT TO RUN BUT IT IS A LOT BETTER TO USE THEN THE OTHER PHONES VERIZON OFFERS. YES IT IS NO IPHONE BUT HELL THE CAMERA IS AMAZING UNLIKE THE IPHONE WERE IT WONT EVEN SEND A PICTURE MESSAGE. AND I DONT HAVE TO PAY UP THE BUTT FOR INTERNET SERVICE EITHER ALL I CARE ABOUT IS STREAMING VIDEOS WHICH I CAN DO ON MY DARE. HECK YES. THIS PHONE IS AMAZING.

b posted on Aug 12, 2008, 5:47 PM

Totally worth the money!!!

Okay..I've been wanting to get the dare for a long time now and I got it this weekend. I only paid $100 for it b/c I had an upgrade discount of $100. I absolutely love this phone. This is the second cell phone I've ever ownd. My first was the moto razr so I was so happy to get this phone. Everything about the phone is awesome. I really have no complaints. There ar so many features wheter you want to use them or not. I love the moving wallpapers, menu fonts, black or white display color, soo yea basicall everything about it is wonderful. I even used MObile IM to chat with my friedn while I was running on the treadmill the other day. [Don't try that at home] LOL. I hardly made any mistakes and if I did that was just me being stupid. Anyone having doubts about this phone shouldn't. It is extremely easy to use and he battery life on this phone lasts like forever. I LOVE MY DARE!!!!!!!!

Dougy posted on Aug 10, 2008, 4:36 PM

Im Me

I'm bout to give u the low down the phone is ok, here is all off the - things about the phone the phone is so loud when on a phone call my wife can here my phone call even on low, when you are on the web the screen sticks the touch on the web sucks badly. Your touch on the key board will start togo out it will not be on point & you will find yourself pushing 2 keys at once trust me this is my second 1. I already went back to the voyager its the best phone out right now & it has mobile TV what more can you ask for.The battery life isnt that great but thats why you get a charger in the box when you get the phone. * the dare go with the VOYAGER allday TRUST me.

Aly posted on Aug 06, 2008, 11:55 PM

I have only had this phone for a day, but played around with a friends for a while before buying it for myself. I love the sound quality, the music quality, the camera, just about everything on this phone.

The ONLY thing I don't like on this phone is the internet. It's not like the internet on the ipod touch or the iphone. Its still workable, but nothing like the iphone.

Everything else was great! Its easy to use, skinny, touch screen is great, sound is great, very easy now to transfer music from your computer to the phone, I can't complain about anything on this phone but the internet. So that's all, great buy and definitely worth it!!

Anthony posted on Aug 06, 2008, 8:56 PM

Awesome Phone

The LG Dare is absolutely amazing. I have owned it for a week now, and, after owning 15 different phones, I must say that this one absolutely takes the cake.

The phone is very slim and light, which I like. I dont like to feel like i have a big brick in my pocket. This I cant even feel, its very slim.

The touchscreen is great. There is a slight vibration when you touch the screen so you know that the phone recognized your touch. This vibration can be customized to be a Short, Double, or Long vibration, and you can change the vibration to be Low, Medium, or High.

This phone is fast. Unlike some of my past phones (notably the Motorola RAZR) you had to wait a VERY long time for menus. Not this phone. Im very impressed at which the speed it preforms operations - especially for the level of technology that this phone is at.

The Camera on this phone is very good. At 3.2 megapixels, it is the highest megapixel camera on a cell phone in the U.S. There is face detection on it as well. Indoors, photos tend to be a bit blurry (low light), but outdoors they come out quite well.

Reception on this phone is very good. Only rarely do i have no bars, and even then calls and texts can still be placed.

Also, battery life is very good. 2-3 days I get on mine, with heavy usage of music, text, and internet. (This may vary by use)

Okay, on to features.

Internet browser - best browser I have seen on a feature phone (non-smartphone). Full HTML - that means no junky mobile pages. If you want you...

Jeremy posted on Aug 06, 2008, 8:07 PM

6.6

cool but returned it

The Phone has cool options , but honestly the internet ran slowly, the phone doesnt have a link to a computer to add or save numbers so i felt that it wasnt worth my time... I liked the keyboard (virtual) size it was workable and the phone was nice light and small, but it really was hard to deal with after owning PDA phones for the last 5 years ...

Barbara posted on Aug 06, 2008, 7:22 AM

WOW! I have the LG Dare one day and I love it. Its features are fantastic. You can work your way around it very easily. Sound quality is good. The price is a little to much but pretty much worth it. I have been looking to upgrade for months and along came the Dare. I am glad for these reviews and info on all the phone to decide which one I truely would be happy with. One thing you should know about is the Calibration. When you first activate, you absolutely need to calibrate the phone. I was not sure how that worked so I called Tech support and they were very nice and helped me to do that. Its just a matter of touch. When you see 4 arrows pointing to a center dot, touch it, it will go to corner of screen, touch it again. Each time it moves, touch it until it disappears. The LG Dare is a fun and amazing phone and would recommend it highly to everyone and anyone. You will be very happy for a long time to come with the LG Dare.

M Collins posted on Aug 04, 2008, 9:10 AM

The Dare is all the said it was. Great phone light weight and reliable.
Touch screen is great a little slow at times if you have fat fingers.
Using a stylist solves that problem easliy Should have come with one.
The EnV was better for texting speed but with a little use the Dare can text almost as fast. Again a stylist solves the speed problem as well.
Camera is way better the my digital camera, and the sound quality is better the any cell or land line I have every used.

All in all the best phone I have used to date.

DANIEL posted on Aug 03, 2008, 7:08 AM

the best

easily the best cell phone out for verizon and mabey the best that lg made... my only problem is the camera is a little confusing but still takes amazing pictures

Alex posted on Aug 02, 2008, 1:16 AM

best phone ever

I was just a normal guy until I got this phone I only made calls on my other phone that is it but now I am doing text messages and drafts. using the calandar. This phone has changed my life I won't forget anything any more cause of the calandar and get to work on time with the alarm this phone is great!!! I highley recomend this phone to anyone that wants there life to change for the better!! 10 out of 10 you can't get any better than this phone!

Murphdiggity posted on Jul 31, 2008, 6:35 PM

Killer phone!!!

It is super easy to use and gets the job done. The touch screen is awesome! I recently upgraded from an older smartphone and I have to tell you- I love it! very nice touch. I am not kidding- you can lay the phone down on the table and do EVERYTHING with one hand! Text, pix message, contacts, place calls, speaker phone, pictures (you can browse pages and photos with a swipe of the screen like the iphone) the whole deal. You can old school text or turn the phone on its side and the screen rotates to a ful QWERTY keyboard touch screen. price was great too ($200.00 upgrade cost). Battery life has been excellent as I use the phone alot! The size is just right to keep you entertained watching videos. Fits in your pocket real nice, super light and easy screen lock/unlock too. The only disappointments I have (found out about these after I bought the phone) you cant use sounds and music as ringtones from your SD card and the ZOOM on the 3.2 MP camera stinks!! Overall, a fantastic phone! I love gadgets and this one is fun to mess around with! Watch your back iPHONE! LG is on to something!! ;)

Anonymous posted on Jul 31, 2008, 10:10 AM

I was really looking forward to getting an iphone but ATT didn't service my area and I was forced to "settle" for a Dare. But after a couple of weeks playing with the Dare I am truly impressed. Sure there are some setbacks - no multi-touch interface, sticky camera/video buttons and a few software flaws -- but it really is a fun phone. And the added features - screen vibrates when touched, slow motion video, cool favorites menu, and fun handwriting screens make up for it's shortcomings. Good phone.