LG Dare User Reviews

7.1
6.5

Maria Myrback posted on Nov 13, 2008, 7:01 PM

I LOVE My Dare

I love all the features this device has.  The virtual keyboard is fantastic and I'll never use a phone with a regular KB again. I've had absolutely NO trouble with it like others have reported.  The touch screen does need to be manhandled a little bit but all in all this is the best phone I have ever had.

Pros

• Virtual keyboard, web access, sending pics to family, friends and the web. shortcut menu, star menu...everything.

Cons

• Needs more apps

VZW_user posted on Nov 09, 2008, 4:14 PM

LG Dare one of the best verizon has to offer!

I have been using the LG Dare for about 3 months now. Hands down one of the best phones i have used. I am a fan of the interface and the responsivness of the touch screen. Most people who have issues with the touch screen should try recalibrating the phone with a stylis or something with a smaller point then jsut a finger tip. This will dramaticly help with response and accuracy. Overall the phone is very nice. The Dare has more then enough features for an every day user. Texting is easy, and the camera is great. I dont really have any complaints, but for those who do most likely think phones are some kind of miricle device. Dont forget phones with all these features are just like computers and every now and then you have to restart them. Instead of complaining about an issue its better to find a solution. Just like when the phone auto crashes when you click on the display setting option. simple solution that fixed mine. go to settings and tools and security and reset the defaults. hasnt happened since.

Pros

• great design
  • size is perfect

Cons

• just wish 3rd party apps were available but thats not too big of a deal

HouseofDreams posted on Nov 08, 2008, 1:47 PM

Horrid!

I had three LG Dares in three weeks!  The first keep resetting it self, the second had a clicking in the ear, and the third the screen would go black and not come back on.
It was the most frustrating phone I owned.  I really wanted to love this phone.

Pros

• Easy to use

Cons

• Issues, Issues, Issues,
  • Clicking in ear
  • Dead Screens
  • Reboots self

Dennis da Menace posted on Oct 31, 2008, 12:21 AM

this phone ROX!

This phone is a excellent rebuttle to the I-Phone, camera features, lots to explore, is the best in the U.S. market, like everything else you have explore it to realize its full potential. Qwerty keyboard takes a little practice, handwritting recognition is unique, but is iffy, voice alert, name & number, no Wi-Fi, and case accessories is lacking, I kept my screen protector on. web browsing is a bit expensive with the Verizon network $1.99 per MB! Smaller than I Phone and a bit flashier. Overall..If you have Verizon, and dont want to switch to ATT and love the I Phone, Definately get it!

Pros

• Camera features picture editing, bright flash, face detection, smart pic, Icons can be dragged and dropped on screen, voice commands.

Cons

• Handwritting recognition, Web browsing 2 much$

Anonymous posted on Oct 27, 2008, 9:04 PM

GREAT!

just got it as a glyde replacement
i love this phone it has no issues and it is fun functional and everything you could ask for

Pros

• everything!

Cons

• none at the moment

Sean Hueting posted on Oct 24, 2008, 3:17 PM

Great, Great, Great LG!!!

This phone is Great! It has every feature you could possibly ask for. The camera is Great, with all of the options my regular digital camera has plus some more it does not. The web is pretty good and is very fast. It has great responsivness for the screen and you can touch it with almost anything you have around you, unlike similar phones with a touch screen. The size of the phone is good, not too big and not to small to hold on to. So far the best phone LG has made (in my opinion) for a long time now. Can't wait to see what they come out with next!!!

Pros

• Responsive Screen, Great Camera w/Flash, Great Battery, Nice & Loud, Very Good Signal Strength, Good Memory and Keyboard... Almost Everything!

Cons

• Handwriting recognition could be a little better and adaptive

Lito posted on Oct 24, 2008, 12:20 PM

The LG Dare is a great tool. It has nearly every feature you could possibly want in a phone. At first I was a bit frustrated with the touch screen not being responsive the way it should have been (fat fingering), but a nice guy from RadioShack brought to me a stylus pen and what a huge difference that made! Once you get used the the stylus, texting speed and menu selecting problems become a thing of the past. I have not had problems getting calls or receiving messages like I have have read about, although the signal reception is a bit weaker than I have been used to with Motorola phones. Overall I really like this phone, I would not go back to the old technology now that I am spoiled on this one.

Pros

• Easy to use, the Navigator program rocks, V-cast is a blast too.
  • I like that Bluetooth stays on so it doesn't need to be activated every time you need your wireless head set.

Cons

• Signal reception is a bit weak.

Anonymous posted on Oct 24, 2008, 1:21 AM

MAJOR PROBLEMS

This phone is the worst! This phone sometimes receives phone calls, text messages, and/or voice messages and sometimes it doesn't.  People can call me ten times and the phone will not receive the calls nor does it show that I had any missed calls.  The messages I receive are delayed most of the time. It sucks! The phone overall is cool with all the neat features but it has problems that needs to be fixed.  I also tried taking the phone back to get it fixed but no one there at the store can seem to find the problem with the phone.  This is ridiculous paying all that money on the phone and it doesn't work properly.

Pros

• Features are pretty cool.

Cons

• The problems need to be FIXED!!!!!!

M. Jenson posted on Oct 20, 2008, 12:27 PM

It's okay..

I upgraded from the Blackberry Pearl to the LG Dare. While it is a cool phone with lots of great features, the touch screen just doesn't do it for me. I am a big texter and I find I am always hitting the wrong letter or the phone doesn't respond at all. Great phone, but not for me. I want my Blackberry back!

Pros

• Camera, drawing pad, editing for pictures.

Cons

• Touch screen not very functional.

Alan Dean posted on Oct 18, 2008, 10:59 PM

Problem

I had this phone about a week ago when I decided that it needed to go back to Verizon. It was a very well featured phone, with features such as editing your pictures on your phone, and re-arranging your Menu, but the draw-back for me was the touchscreen. After calabrating the screen countless and countless times it just wasn't responsive enough for me. I'm big on texting, about 10k a month, and this phone just didn't cut it, I would find myself getting the vibrate feedback from the phone but when I would look at the letter that I was typing it wasn't there. Also, the phone does get slower as you type faster on the keyboard, I mean it was a great phone, but the texting and the touch does suck majorly, I would have prefered to be a slide out physical QWERTY keyboard for this phone, reading other reviews on other sites, I can see that people have the same problem with this phone. Looks like LG and Verizon will need to make some work on the touch in order for the phone to sell-out all of it's customers, I'm glad to own my Voyager Titanium with a full QWERTY keyboard.

Pros

• 3.2 Megapixel Camera
  • User Interface

Cons

• Touchscreen
  • TEXTING.

Nickg posted on Oct 09, 2008, 11:24 PM

I had new cable internet service hooked up yesterday. While the techs were in my house they were asking me about my Dare. They were totally in love with it...and these guys were using Blackberrys to contact headquarters. One guy said he was definitey going to look into getting one for his personal phone.
I love mine the more I use it and figure out all of the things I can do with it.

Pros

• Nice to have a phone that is gaining on the iPhone. Everyone that sees it asks about it and are impressed overall by the phone.
  • Great to have mobile websites available when I'm traveling.

Cons

• The touch screen is not quite as nimble as an iPhone/iTouch.
  • More usable apps could/should be available to users.

brittany h posted on Oct 09, 2008, 11:42 AM

loving my LG dare!

I upgraded to the LG enV2, but was having problems with the text messaging on the phone so i took it back. I narrowed my choices down to the blackberry pearl or the dare. I wasn't sure i would like texting on either - suretype on the pearl and no keypad on the dare. So, after an hour of going back and forth, I chose the Dare. I absolutely LOVE this phone! texting is soo easy! the speakerphone works good, and downloading and playing Vcast songs is quick & easy! the touchscreen is better than i thought it would be and i love getting online on this phone! i would definetly recommend this phone to anyone!

Pros

• touchscreen, drawing pad feature, the whole phone!

Cons

• none at the moment

TJ posted on Oct 08, 2008, 7:59 PM

LG M#*!@$*%)# DARE!!!!!! THE NEW KING OF TOUCH PHONES

few months back i upgraded my verizon phone from the 1st generation LG chocolate (which still works perfect, other than worn out charging port) to the LG Voyager, which i had been drooling over since it was released. The very next day the Dare was released online a week later in store, even though i loved the voyager i didnt think twice about it and made good use of verizon's 30 day exchange policy and unlike other carriers like Sprint/Nextel which makes exchanges about as easy as doing your own dental work, i got to verizon store say "i want that one!" and they said "OK, here you go" no question, no additional fee or hidden fees, no 13 miles of red tape and your entire weekend, just "OK". now it did take them a 45 mins to program the phone, but what do you expect, they have had the phone for less than 12 hours and said mine was there first sale, and even made up for it by giving me a $100 8gb memory card for free for the inconvenience (i didnt even ask for it). but anyways this is how cool the Dare is. with a freeware video coverter program i put 2h 45m movie (actually 2 movies and a 1hr tv show) on the phone and watched the whole movie from start to end, without headphones, using the surprizing clear 1 speaker, and still had enuff juice to make a 30 min phone call afterwards, (infact while playing, it will pause for incoming calls, and when you hang up movie auto resumes) and this is with the standard battery.  Lets see the iPhone do that. now i...

Pros

• USER INTERFACE, BATTERY LIFE, BRIGHT DISPLAY, 3.2 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA,

Cons

• TRYING TO USE SOMEONE ELSES PHONE AFTER GETTING USED TO THIS ONE

J M posted on Oct 08, 2008, 1:48 AM

Great phone all around

The phone DOES  I repeat Does have zoom  on the vidieo and the camera. I guess the other reviewers have not figgured it out yet

J M posted on Oct 08, 2008, 1:45 AM

Verizons best phone yet

I must say that  this is Verizons best phone yet. And the closest thing to the I Phone  on the verizon network. Great features, design, loud ringer and great battery life. Best phone I've owned. Price was also good. No problems so far

• Features
  • Options
  • Mobile internet speed

Cons

• Texting and scrolling feature takes getting used to.

Dalton posted on Oct 04, 2008, 7:15 PM

This is the BEST PHONE EVER

My Little brother got the new enV2 and i was sorta mad until i got the dare which is a billion times better than any of the other phones I have had, used, or seen. It is the coolest most awesome phone. When i showed my friends all jaws dropped for it. With its amazing features and super awesome shape topped off with a touch screen and 3.2 megapixel camera it's probobly LGs best phone!

Pros

• The Whole phone is great!

Cons

• I can't think of anything

Anonymous posted on Oct 01, 2008, 10:03 PM

Love This Phone!

I got this phone to replace my LG chocolate, and I absolutely love it! It has taken a couple of days to get used to it but once ya get the hang of it, its a sinch to work! The camera is incredible and the sound quality is amazing! Its light weight and thin, perfect for throwing in your purse or pocket and going! This phone is perfect for anyone that uses a PDA for scheduling, taking notes, etc... It has taken the place of both my phone and PDA

• size
  • sound quality
  • memory
  • flip screen (Key board and phone pad)
  • Internet feature

Cons

• The screen gets dirty, so you have to make sure you have a screen protector.

anon. posted on Oct 01, 2008, 9:10 PM

the dare is a pretty cool phone, unless you are a texter. i couldn't stand the keyboard. i was too fast for it i guess. i would be typing and by the time i would type a word it would only recognize about 1/2 of it. after having it for a few weeks i couldn't wait to go back to my old 'the V'

• calling

Cons

• texting! DO NOT GET IF YOU ARE A BIG TEXTER!

Salz posted on Sep 30, 2008, 5:55 PM

Almost a Grand Slam

This phone is good, and has lots of great features but just misses from being the phone I fall in love with. Everyone know about the camera and its editing options. everyone ones about its touch screen. As will all touch screens, sometimes you get the wrong button or it doesn't respond like you want it to, but that I with any touch screen that I have seen so far. The UI looks and feels a little different, but its VZW UI just with a paint job. The favorites button is a nice and easy to use feature to get to people you talk or txt to most often. The battery life has been good so far, and a full HTML browser with java is nice.  The only other thing I wish is if all of the menus would adjust as you tilt it to the side.  Good, phone if your thinking about it, I suggest doing it, beacuse we all love to touch.

Pros

• Full HTML browser
  • Camera with editing features
  • Singal Strength
  • Expandable Memory

Cons

• No zoom on Camera
  • Texting (impossible if you have been drinking. or if your driving (please don't do all three) )

Whatup282 posted on Sep 30, 2008, 7:49 AM

LG Dare - A Pretty Good Phone

I've had the dare for about a month and a half and it's absolutely awesome! (I'm in high school by the way) It has tons of sick features that are so much fun to use and are so convenient. But, being a text-a-holic, it's hard to cope with the funky texting problems. it gets frustrating. And theres a lot more problems, but to top them off, the phone wont charge for more than about 2-3 hors (it just stops & turns off mid-charge) and it doesn't hold its charge. I'm working on getting it fixed.

Pros

• -awesome UI (best-ever at veizon)
  • -light-weight
  • -tons of entertaining features
  • -AMAZING camera/editing program

Cons

• -horrible texting
  • -menu scrolling is frustrating
  • -i would never feel safe dropping it
  • -charging problem (may be just for me)

Nicholas1 posted on Sep 29, 2008, 11:17 AM

Sweet Phone!!!

Lg dare ownz! ive found no problems with it whatsoever. i had the envy before the dare an i can text just as fast and accurate with the dare. as for durability i have a silicone case for it i got from verizon and i dropped ikt while taking it out of my pocket =(. but it just bounced up a couple inches. still works like new. i suggest you get the silicone case from verizon because it saved my phone.

Pros

• Best phone ever!

Raghu Avula posted on Sep 22, 2008, 8:26 PM

Awsome Phone

what can I say. I was at first hesitant to get this phone but now that I have the phone,I can say that it is the best phone avalible for verizon and I couldnt find anything wrong with it. If you are want to get it, don;t hesitate, go get it. It has a great music player, and an easy way to access anything you want to do.

Pros

Cons

No Cons

Anonymous posted on Sep 22, 2008, 3:43 PM

Great for non-clumsy people

I just bought two of these for my wife and I. Love the phone!! The only drawback is durability. This actually will remain unknown until one of us drops it. Im kinda scared to see how the phone reacts after a few drops. It is really hard to hold on to.

Pros

• Great alternative to the iphone with NO EXTRA MONTHLY BILL.
  • Great size fits almost anywhere.
  • Cutting edge features.

Cons

• Durability? Just not sure...

Gordon posted on Sep 22, 2008, 1:05 PM

Dig the dare

So far this phone is really great. It's not nearly as clumsy as the demo model I played with at the verizon store. Upon starting the phone I was prompted to calibrate the touch screen, which i think is why it works so much better. I can easily use the qwerty keys and type very quickly. I was never a fan of texting but now it's no sweat! I've had good luck with reception as well and it works in the dead spot in my home office where my razr would always drop calls. The only drawbacks I've found it easy to hit buttons while i'm taking it out of my pocket and the vibrate setting is HORRIBLY weak. I'm used to having my phone on the desk at my work and being able to easily feel it vibrate when i have a call, but not so much with the dare. Missed a few already because of it, even if the phone is against my leg in my pocket, still hard to feel it. Adding contacts is very easy and quick. Internet works pretty well too, not quite as nice as the iphone but no problems for me so far either. camera works great and menus are really fast and easy to customize and there are more features than i'll probably ever use. over all i really like this phone.

Pros

• 96% awesome so far

Cons

• Crappy Vibrate Setting

Shane posted on Sep 22, 2008, 8:18 AM

Almost perfect!!!

I've had the phone for a few days now.  After a little playing around, navigating the phone's user interface became fairly simple.  A scroll key on the side would have been nice, since trying to scroll to the bottom of a menu can sometimes result in opening the menu item.  The 3.2MP camera is great, except that it is missing a zoom feature but that seems common in a lot of newer phones.  Though it is nice that you can zoom in when editing the photo and save a copy of the zoomed in view. It's also nice that it automatically saves the edit with a new file name.  The web browsing and app/music downloading is wicked fast.  I really miss my free ESPN MVP and hope that the software is updated to be compatable in the near future.  Currently the app list is fairly slim.  They should have included a single free screen protector or at least carry them in the stores.  A stylus would have been nice.  Overall a great phone and I love it.  It's cool when it reads your text messages to you.

Pros

• Touch Screen
  • Accelerometer
  • Fast web browsing
  • 3.2MP camera with flash, autofocus, and slow motion video
  • Screen auto locks/unlocks when in call
  • text-to-speech text messaging(awesome and fairly accurate)

Cons

• No zoom on the camera
  • No scroll-wheel/scrollbar for navigating menus, web, etc.
  • Not compatible with ESPN MVP
  • A stylus or at least a place to store one would have been nice
  • didn't come with an initial screen guard
  • No bluetooth photo printer accessory available