LG Dare User Reviews

7.1
6.5

Sinaps posted on Jun 23, 2009, 11:54 AM

GREAT! but...

ive had this phone for about 9 months now, and ive got to say that its a great phone. The touchscreen can be clunky at times but overall its been great.  The camera is amazing, it takes GREAT pictures but it could use better zooming. The internet on this phone is mediocre, not that great, not even close to an iphone in my opinion. Texting on this phone can be a big pain at times, it doesn't respond at times which messes up your messages, this is not the phone for hardcore texters. Call quality is great, its clear. I haven't had any problems with calling.

• screen
  • call quality
  • overall phone build

Cons

• internet clunky
  • texting

kddk posted on Jun 07, 2009, 1:24 PM

Ive had my phone for 8 months and I love it.  Im only on my second one and thats only because the hard drive crashed on the first one after a day.  Ive dropped it countless times and there are no cracks or scratches on it.  I have the Zagg Invisishield on and it looks even better than when you buy the phone from the store.  All of the features are extremely easy to use.  The only complaint I have it the qwerty Keyboard, my fingers are a little too fat for it and they hit the wrong key ofter.  Using the T9 word is extremely easy and fast.  I send about 9000 texts a month and its fine for me.

• Responsive Touch screen

Cons

• Little rubber covering the headphone jack is very easy to use. Maybe some sort of sliding device would work better.

Pete posted on Jun 04, 2009, 10:33 AM

Awesome phone!

This phone is great! The touch screen is very accurate, the call quality is loud and crisp, and the display is very sharp. Oh, and texting horizontally is easy to get used to. Not good for heavy texters though. Music on this phone is great also! Get a warranty on this phone though.

Pros

• Accurate touchscreen
  • Brilliant display
  • Texting not bad at all
  • Music quality is great
  • Call quality is great
  • Small, light, and compact
  • Picture quality is good
  • Great interface
  • Very customizable

Cons

• Not for heavy texters
  • Turned off by itself once and once in a while the backlight doesnt turn off
  • NOT MUCH, GET THIS PHONE!

noneofyurbusiness posted on May 31, 2009, 12:07 PM

This phone is amazing

ive had many phones... env2,venus,chocolate 1&2, motorola q, razr,glyde... and more. im 15 and pay for these myself so dont call me spoiled anyways. i would prefer this phone to anyone even over the iphone, it has everythin the iphone has except apps and wifi.  it beats it with its 3.2 mp camera, video recording, and mms. and it does kinda have apps oin the vz store. GET THIS PHONE OVER THE ENV3 ENV touch ALIAS2  or anything else,!

Pros

• big screen
  • easy to text after u get used to it
  • holds alot of memory
  • camera is amazin

Cons

• touchscreen could be a LITTLE better

metalpoet posted on May 28, 2009, 12:40 PM

Awesome phone with few drawbacks

I consider myself pretty phone savy and the lg dare is a phone that fits me just right! i love the camera and the drawing pad so that i can make my own backgrounds.  For this being my first touch screen phone i m ust say im rather impressed!

Pros

• Cool features and great design with a decent battery life and an amazing music player!

Cons

• sometimes the touchscreen isnt acurate or responsive, i still cant find a way to zoom when using my camera

blabla posted on May 19, 2009, 8:30 PM

i love mine, but they really need to come out with a new one

dont get me wrong, i love my dare. it is probablly the fastest touchscreen i have ever had and has the most features. it is designed beautifully and texts fast. but i really think it is time to come out with a new one. :)

Steve0 posted on May 10, 2009, 11:26 PM

1 Year In and Still the Best Phone Ever....

I've had my Dare since last May, when it first came out, and it is AWESOME.  I have zero problems with it, never had it replaced, always stays charged and is just fun to play with.  I charge my battery once every 3 days, just in case, although it still holds 2 bars after 3 days!!  Touch screen is awesome, responsive, accurate.  Always has a signal and it is the best phone I've ever owned (I've had Motorola, Blackberry, LGs, Nokia).
BUY ONE!

• Touch Response
  • Awesomeness

Cons

• Hard to See Screen in Direct Sunlight (is this really a con)

k-b posted on Apr 23, 2009, 9:12 AM

i love this phone sooo much i sleep with it and the first day i had it i madeout with it all day

Pros

Cons

• nothing

d3rm posted on Apr 18, 2009, 9:50 AM

very very well made.

ive had the dare since december so like 4 months and so far its very good phone. it has an easier touch screen to navigate that ive used on any other phone. its small and has a very nice feel to it. texting took a while to get used to but ive got it down pretty good now. alot of people are saying the QWERTY keyboard on this phone is difficult but i find it as easy to use as the standard keypad. i usually can go three days with out charging my battery. the only thing that i would wish differently on this phone is the reaction quickness when you touch things in the menu. like if you push the message button it takes like half a second for the messages to appear. its not that big of a deal but when your a huge texter like i am, its easier to just get things going instantly and fast. Overall its just an awesome modern touch screen phone. i have had no serious problems with it yet and i hope to keep it that way.

Pros

• great 3.2 mp camera
  • very nice touch screen
  • not too hard to text on
  • customization is very interchangeable

Cons

• a tad slow when you push buttons.
  • -just my personal preference

andy posted on Apr 17, 2009, 1:54 AM

i DARE you to touch

well i got the dare in sept. and now its april and overall i love it, def the best phone i've yet, i think lg and verizon did a good job coming up with this with all the verizon applications you can download, this phone never gets old and it has an "wow" effect on people when they first play with it,the touch screen is very responsive and gives good feed back. and the camera is amazing i love how you can crop and edit even draw on your photos, you can do so much effects to have different styles of pics,its very easy to get used to and to navigate yourself, textin is easy with T9 but the keyboard is a little dif to get used to the buttons could be bigger, but overall no problems, and the fact you can draw out your txts is cool not that you would use it but just neat, the battery last long but i had to replace mine but only bc i got it wet =[ but overall is a great phone , if anyone wants a great touch screen thats easy to navigate and with an amazing camera then the dare would be a great fit for you hope this review has helped you

• touch screen
  • favorites
  • music player

Cons

• nothing really

Darren posted on Apr 09, 2009, 7:46 PM

Great Phone with a Great Carrier

Last month was my 2 year contract renewal with VZW and it also happened to be my 21st birthday so I asked for the Dare. It's definitely one of the best bday presents I've ever gotten and it just keeps giving.  This phone has everything I need and more.  I upgraded from a Samsung Alias so I was a little hesitant to go from a physical qwerty keyboard to a touchscreen, but the transition has been fine.  I find the Dare's touchscreen very responsive even while texting in landscape.  I love the versatility of the UI and all the customizable features.  The camera works great and the pictures are pretty stellar for a camera phone.  After finding out all the tips and trick browsing the internet is a breeze and I love having everything I need just a touch away.  I pretty much love everything about this phone and an really impressed with LG's craftmanship.  The only thing I have an issue with is the music player, but its a phone first so I can't really expect the functionality of an ipod with everything else this phone has going for it.  I would definitely recommend it!

Pros

• Responsive Touchscreen
  • Customizable Interface
  • Multiple Text Methods
  • Great Camera
  • USB Connectivity
  • Internet Browsing
  • Looks Sweet

Cons

• Rhapsody Music Player (sick)

Seann posted on Apr 07, 2009, 4:17 PM

Dare

i've had the phone since august (its now april) and i love it. the camera is nice, its fast and sleek and it has all the features you can imagine. i do have to say that for me the virtual qwerty keyboard it garbage but the number pad keyboard it just as good or better than a phone with physical keys. and to all the people saying it turns on randomly.... did you ever stop to think that the phone just MIGHT be updating...? have you ever tried to update it and it wasnt already up to date? yes it gets annoying how the phone randomly turns off on occasion but its updating so dont worry about it. all in all if youre nervous about this phone dont be because you will get plenty bang for your buck. id give it a 9/10

Pros

• speed
  • design
  • features
  • image quality

Cons

• qwerty keyboard
  • battery life after 6 months is in the toilet (and i only charge it when the phones dead)

e posted on Mar 28, 2009, 3:08 PM

i have had this phone for six months now. it is a really great touch screen phone. people say the texting sucks but i guess i got lucky because i text faster then i did on a button, and im pretty fast if i say so myself. the keyboard isnt much to talk about, but t9 works like a charm. the camera is fantastic, it is 3.0 not to mention the flash it comes with. there are so many features i would say it outdoes all the others. if it had apps like apple it would burry the iphone into the ground. the calling is great, and the memory is amazing. the price without a contract is 490 but with it, it is like 290. expensive, but worth it. (i got mine because my dad works for the government so mine was like 120 xD. anyway, it is great and perfect for teens and adults. (o btw it has a drawing pad!!!!!!!) i use my nintendo ds stylis for it hehe.

Pros

• drawing pad
  • t9 word texting
  • music player
  • memory
  • you can drag your icons around
  • display screen is like a computer (you can put your icons on it)
  • fast
  • big screen (unlike other touch screens with tiny dumb ones) aka instinct
  • ringtones for free are awesome (USE VENTONES.COM

Cons

• keyboard sucks
  • smudges kinda easily
  • hard to see screen in the sun
  • some factory settings are stupid (but you can just change them to your specifications)

(: posted on Mar 27, 2009, 9:59 PM

lovely

I have had this phone for about 5 or so months. I love it, it is really the only touch screen I would consider getting. (SERIOUSLY) People say the texting is bad but you just have to wait a while because now i can type as fast with T9 as I could with my old button phone. It has tons of memory, a great battery life, tons of features, (including a drawing pad !!!!!! (;) and a 3.0 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA. with flash. I mean people say this phone is crap but wtf it is awesome and it is pretty affordable. El;fkasdfk (:

Pros

• good texting
  • features
  • sound

Cons

• idk nothing really.

Zach-Brody posted on Mar 18, 2009, 10:06 PM

absolutely love this phone

i've never been into touch screen phones but when i tried out the dare, it was meant to be.  i put an 8gig sd card and it can hold tons of mp3s and pics which is great, now i don't have to spend 400 for an itouch lol...the phone is very quick, and i love all the options you can do to change up the screen appearance to fit your personality.  then there's my favorite feature where the screen on the phone will automatically turn off when you put the phone up to your ear during a call to prevent you from accidently pushing any buttons.  the dare also just looks so attractive and so far, i have had no problems. the phone overall is very user-friendly.

Pros

• camera, display features, quickness

Cons

No Cons

Anonymous posted on Mar 10, 2009, 4:30 PM

already wrote a review but now my phone will give me "initialization error" or "initialization program error" when i unlock it or do anything however its random so i cant get a new one with out debating with verizon. i want to get a different phone such as the samsung renown.

Al posted on Feb 26, 2009, 10:18 PM

Best phone i have had in a long time!!

When i first got the dare I could hardly text at all.  After about a week or so I was back to normal texting at the same speed as i was with my env. This phone has an awesome camera and videocamera along with some stylish looks. If u need a cheap good phone I would deffinantly reccomend the dare.

Pros

• Txting
  • price
  • stylish

Cons

• Phone sometimes turns off by itself but only once every month pretty much.

Anonymous posted on Feb 25, 2009, 9:36 PM

the phone is easy to use but the touch screen will recalibrate often. the accelerometer will activate randomly while texting i would prefer having a real keyboard and the screen is too small to have a good keyboard. when ever i put a picture on the phone it slows it down to where i almost dont want to have pictures from my computer on there. once in a while it wont send a text message or you cant press the menu without getting an error message

Pros

• light weight, camera, style

Cons

• touch screen, virtual keyboard, sluggish at times, signal

Alec C. posted on Feb 18, 2009, 4:19 PM

Great Phone Overall Except for Texting

I recently purchased this phone about a week ago.  It is so easy to use the touch screen is a little bit laggy in some aspects but overall its is good.  I am 16 and a texting freak.  I find it easier to text then call.  I had the env 1 before this one and i was constantly texting.  I hadn't really tired out the touch screen qwerty on the dare and i wish i had.  I find it very difficult to text fast and to even try to text fast you need to be in a stable environment.  I find myself constanly typing the wrong letters and having to go back and actually type letters.  For me I have to press hard on the touch screen for it to register a letter.  Overall this phone is great the features are good for a touch screen phone however if you are a serious texter the dare is not recommended.

Pros

• Camera quality
  • accesible home screen
  • easy navigation

Cons

• TEXTING
  • TEXTING
  • TEXTING

Deb posted on Feb 17, 2009, 1:06 PM

Definately a great phone

AFter  returning a sumsung, and reading reviews for endless days, I was left deciding between the dare and the voyager . I went with the Dare and it's been  only a week but the phone is simple to use and understand, very stylish, and works great. The kids love the vc videos, I used the navigator with no problem, receive e-mails promptly, easy to store info  and make calls, and  texting no problem. Takes a little bit to get used to the touch screen but not long.
I highly recommend this phone. It's my 4th LG, first touch screen and is faster than my brothers  Storm.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Tons of features
  • Great screen

Cons

• Everytime I try to use camera, I end up with video camera. ? Need to make the button easier to access
  • Charge port seems delicate and I'm afraid of breaking it

pono posted on Feb 17, 2009, 3:27 AM

Lg Dare pro's and con's

6.3out of 10
I've had this phone for 3 months now. I absolutely loved it for the first month. Now in the third month I've found the flaws. I love how big the screen in and the camera is great, but I find myself having to really hold the phone still to get a clear shot. When I'm talking to people no one can hear me, no matter what my volume level is. I hate repeating myself and I'm doing it constantly on this phone. I'm not quite sure whether I like the touch screen. It's hard to get used to. Having the option of a regular key pad would be a nice addition to this phone. I previously owned the LGENV...great phone. If you're a big texter, I could text with the ENV being able to not look at the phone while feeling the keys to type a message. Frustrating with the Dare, that you have to use both hands to text b'cuz of the touchscreen and minus the addtion of a physical key pad. A problem with text messaging is on the qwerty pad it presses buttons you don't intend to be used. The music player is wonderful, but I don't like how it turns itself off occasionally.  With scrolling up and down you have to be easy and trying to get through your contacts can be annoying.  I like the themes this phone uses. The screen scratches easily and fingerprints constantly. Overall the phone is nice, but there are cons to it as well. maybe I just have to get used to an all touch screen phone, but If I could have designed this phone, I'd put a key pad...

Pros

• good speaker for playing music
  • pix come out aight
  • screen dimensions are good
  • batt life...likeable

Cons

• shuts off by self
  • cant update (roaming) over air
  • verizon charges and arm and a leg and my first born child to use all of the features...

daves regret posted on Feb 15, 2009, 7:52 PM

5th and counting

stay clear of this phone. i have had it for 5 or 6 months nowand i am on my fifth one. thank god for the warrenty. the first phone i had the software just stopped working and couldent be fixed the second phone the ear piece speaker blew out at normal volume. third the sceen died . the fourth phone the sceen did. the one i am switching out tomorrow  has another blown speaker. the thing that makes it even worse is verizon doesnt swith it out with a new phone they swith it out with a recon. so i bought a new and im given a used phone for the same price.sweet huh. aside from that texting sucks . allways have to repeat myself everyone says there is a bad connection. they key lock is very annoying. it goes on when you dont want and is easily shut of in your pocket.most of the camera editing option are just useless fluff aside from the basics. takes decent pictures put the phone has to be perfectly still or they come out super blurry.lost of cool ideas in this phone that would have been better left as ideas till they could have been perfected. terrible phone. wish i didnt give my last one away so i could swith back

Pros

• small and light

Cons

• everything else

Taint posted on Feb 11, 2009, 11:09 PM

Balanced Review

To start out I have a little bit of a phone fettish.  I get a new phone at least once a year.  That being said, I have had the Dare since it first came out.  I am also very hard to please when it comes to phones, so this review may be harsh, but read all the way through to get my bottom line.  I think it is only fair to point out that I do have iPhone envy, and am not afraid to admit it.  Many of my friends have the iPhone, and I like what it offers.  I will not switch to AT&T, so no iPhone for me.

First, I really do like this phone.  It has had some quirks as the software is upgraded, but getting the latest software from a Verizon store will fix a lot of those problems.  Until I just got my phone updated it was restarting randomly and did not always connect when on the internet.  Since the upgrade this has not been a problem.

Second, the camera on this phone is really good.  It is not as good as having a digital camera with you, but it is a phone after all.  I actually went on vacation to Chicago last year and forgot my camera at home.  I thought I might as well use my phone to try and capture some of the time there.  When I got back I was really impressed with the picture quality!  Like I said, not like I had a stand-alone camera, but they were good pictures.

Third, I really do not like how there are not any free apps for this phone.  You pretty much have to pay Verizon for everything. ...

• Music Player
  • Internet Browser

Cons

• Need for Verizon Apps
  • Cannot use the GPS with Google Maps
  • No over the air software updates!!!

Anonymous posted on Feb 06, 2009, 4:41 PM

texting

gets old after a while especially cuz the qwerty is impossible so texting sucks... and the t9 u have to look at the screen cuz its near impossible to memorize the letter locations on this... not a good texting phone but besides that its great.

Pros

• everything else is pretty good

Cons

• texting

robert schmer posted on Feb 04, 2009, 2:22 PM

lg dare first week/big handed user

first of all i know the phone has been out for almost a year and there is over 200 reviews but i thought i would add my opinion from a guy with big hands. also there really has been a real in depth break down of the phone on these reviews i found. so i hope this will help out. i have had the phone for a week now and have really used it ALOT!!!!# DESIGN: I found the overall design to be good not to big but not too small i would have preferred a better battery cover then what it has a little thin. also there is  some space they could have used for the screen instead of having a big lg symbol on the bottom and the Verizon emblem on the top. they could have had it smaller then that it would have given it about 1/2 inch more screen (top to bottom). battery: battery holds up very well. i was suprised!!!!# texting:well having big hands i thought it would be a issue for me but it was not. now i can't texting as fast i could on a computer keyboard but i did rather well.(note: it does take some time to get use to it..about a 5 days for me)# camera/video: best phone camera hands down it is better then the samsung optima which has a 5.0 megapixel. the pictures are clear and Sharp and it has a multiple shot feature which means you push the button and it takes 3,6or9 shots in a row.the video player is good not anything that stands out.# call quility:no problems at all very clear.# music player: basic nothing special.note(when downloading music to your phone make sure you click out of the...

Pros

• great size,battery,music player,camera,texting,call quality.web browser.features

Cons

• waste of screen(lg,verizon labels on top bottom of phone)
  • display features(only black and white)