LG Dare User Reviews

6.5
7.5

Triston.Jonsson posted on May 23, 2010, 1:57 AM

LG Dare

Didn't like this phone at all, would run apps in my pocket, call sombody in my pocket didn't like the design at all, Touch screen *** me off scratches way to easly, really hard to see the screen in the day time but when you droped the thing man its like a tank, i threw the phone across a felid and it hit a pole and the phone worked fine. but the texting on it was horrible. if your going to buy this phone i recommend you don't and i should no because im stuck with the peice of *** till 2012 and if the world ends i don't even get a chance to get rid of this phone.

Pros

• Calling
  • Fast charge
  • Video recorder

Cons

• Texting
  • Touchscreen
  • Accidental calls
  • Accidental app use
  • Phone unlocks in your pocket
  • Touch screen scratches
  • Menu style
  • Didn't use any apps on that phone. no need for them

Anonymous posted on Jan 27, 2010, 10:52 PM

in my book a Touchscreen Camera

I would give this phone a 100 out of 10 if LG had made the Dare's keyboard a little bit better.  It lags and when i try to type quickly it takes a second for it to type in the letters.  I backspace consistently every text message.  Ive switched to T9 but thats not why i got the phone.  The camera is AMAZING  and i give it a 20 out of 10.  There are so many cool options.  The different ways to customize are great.  Its laggy between menus and the tinyest little thing will dent/ scratch your screen.  Turns on and off all of the time.  Its a sleek phone and i would get it if your the type who likes to take tons of pictures and send it to your social networking site.  I cant tell the difference between which i took with a camera and which with my Dare.  The touch screen is great if you calibrate it right.

Pros

• CAMERA!
  • touch screen (at times)
  • call quality
  • features

Cons

• keyboard
  • delicateness
  • anything to do with texting

Anonymous posted on Jan 24, 2010, 8:30 AM

This phone is the older version of the LG Chocolate Touch (VX-8575), and my mom has this phone. This phone doesn't perform as well as it, though. The virtual QWERTY keyboard is easy to type on, however, this phone unlocks itself frequently, causing frequent accidental calls. It has excellent voice quality, though. Also, the touch screen locks up frequently, mostly while you're texting, and this is a big problem to my mom, since she likes phones that "work". I wouldn't recommend this phone, but if a firmware update ever becomes available, maybe I will. This phone is recommended to people who really don't care about their phone locking up, which is pretty much nobody. I don't like this phone as much as I do my LG Chocolate Touch (VX-8575).

Pros

• -Good Virtual QWERTY Keyboard

Cons

• -Locks Up
  • -Accidental Calls A Problem

Ed posted on Jan 06, 2010, 7:56 AM

Battery life

I dont know if anyone else has this problem i charge the battery make 1 phone call and its dead
 I tried to turn off and recharge and this doesnt work well either, This is a disappointment as i like the phone but to have to replace the battery with only 1 year on it is truely a let down

Kaitlyn N. posted on Jan 04, 2010, 2:28 PM

LG DARE :)

I liked the phone, the camera is amazing, sometimes it is touchy and unlocks itself, but overall i think its the best touch screen phone ive seen so far.  Its quite durable too, for as much as ive dropped it and everything, its still in good condition. I am very disappointed to see it be discontinued.  I was planning to buy another one, if something ever happened to the one i have, its too bad I wont be able to.

Pros

• I love the camera, it exts well and pretty easy to use and its quite durable for a touch screen phone.

Cons

• It can be touchy and sometimes unlocks itself.

Anonymous posted on Dec 29, 2009, 1:51 PM

Pretty Good.

I got Dare in Sept 2008. The design is simple and elegant. It's not bulky. I love the camera. However, the touch screen isn't that sensitive. If you don't have nails, then it'll be a problem for you to text and type; I don't mind it, but I know some people may mind. Also, it unlocks by itself sometimes if it's in my purse, pocket or backpack. Yet, the battery lasts a long time. I remember I didn't have charge it for a week, and it still had half battery. It isn't out of this world, but it's easy to use and I haven't had any problems with it.

• simple design
  • easy to use

Cons

• unlocks by itself sometimes
  • touch screen not sensitive (need nails to type)

Bill Haynes posted on Nov 14, 2009, 12:37 PM

I have had this phone for over a year now.  I have had a number of phones over the years and this is the best phone I have ever owned.  My battery last for 5 days between chargings.  The camera is easy to use and view pictures.  Texting is easy to read and delete more then one text at a time like some phones.  I put a protective clear cover over the screen and never had a problem with scratching.  I found a blackberry leather case that fits it perfectly so that helped to protect it also.  I would recommend this phone to anyone looking for a good phone.

Pros

• Nice size screen
  • Easy to read texting
  • Good camera
  • Long battery life

Cons

No Cons

LGDareowner posted on Nov 09, 2009, 3:30 AM

2.3

LG Dare Usb Modem Driver Software Download

My sister bought the Verizon LG Dare,looks really nice,all aspects of Functional is great.i just downloaded some music files,but don't know where to download the usb modem driver,so good luck!fortunately for me found a unofficial verizon phone blog offering the Verizon LG Dare usb modem driver download,now i share it here.hope this is useful!Verizon LG Dare Usb Modem Driver Software Downloadhttp://www.verizon-cellphone.org/verizon-lg-dare-usb-modem-driver-software-download.html/

Anonymous posted on Oct 18, 2009, 2:51 PM

Before this phone I had the LG Voyager, I loved the setup, it was stylish and the touch screen. After a while the phone started turning off and not charging right then the touch screen went black. Last, it turned off and wouldn’t turn on again! So I bought the LG Dare and without a doubt this is the best phone I have ever had. The touch screen is very user friendly and not hard to use. I love texting on it, the camera is great, the music player is phenomenal and everything about it is great! I have not had any problems with this phone. I recently bought a case for it and there was a HUGE variety! This is the best phone I have ever had! I love it!

Pros

• Texting is great, wide variety of cases, easy to personalize, user friendly!

Cons

• None, really!

joshuaaaa posted on Oct 13, 2009, 6:11 PM

amazzing

mk, so i had this phone earlyier this year and decided that i didnt like the fact it didnt have a keyboard and was too hard to text. so i went to the voyager for about 7 months and then the charging port broke. my cousin had a dare and switch to at&t for an iphone so she sent it to me and i love it more because i did research and this one had an update which is called vx970V06, i have NO problems texting on the touchscrean now and im keeping this phone until my comtract is up fusure!!! so if you dont have the V06 software get it!!!! :) (if you wanna check to see what update you have go to settings and tools go phone info and the go to sw/hw version and its the first thing)it includes 3.2 megapixle camera and its really good. plus you can edit them and draw on them. the vibrate is alittle weak but you get used to it and youll notice it. batterylife starts to wear down too, my cousin had his for about 9 months before he gave it to me and its alot shorter than my moms is. also i dropped it in the toilet like a week after i got it and it suprisingly still works!! so its pretty tough besides the end button is wearing down.

Pros

• update
  • slim
  • touchscreen

Cons

• battery wears down
  • gets scratched and dinged up easy

Anonymous posted on Sep 25, 2009, 12:39 PM

....

I had this phone for over a year now and it's been okay. I like it and alll, but I just hate the fact that when I'm on the internet it shut off. Also, when I'm texting, it takes tooo long for the "message sent" (I've timed it and it's been like a minute or so) screen to come off. When it comes off, the person I'm texting usually wrote back and it just gets frustrating. When I'm talking on the phone, it tends to become hot after not too long of a use.

G posted on Sep 24, 2009, 5:44 AM

A Smart Feature Phone...

I picked up my LG Dare last year in October when they were 1st released. I've had the orignal phone and have taken it into Verizon to have the firmware upgraded on occassion. The most useful parts of this phone are the camera; 3.2 Mp (one of the 1st on the market) and the video capabilities (regular and slow-motion; as well as on-the-phone editing); the web browser is simple; but enuff for posting updates to facebook and emailing on Gmail. The phone has quite a bit of customization that can be done on the desktop; you can place your most used "apps" on the dsektop and arrange them however you like. The screen is resistive; NOT capacitive so texting can be a frustrating experience if you get ahead of the phone. But all in all the on-screen keyboard is fairly accurate. Overall; I've been very pleased with this phone and will hang onto it till Big Red releases thier Android phones. I def recommend this phone for video and pix; as well as limited web surfing. Hardcore texters would be better off with a physical keyboard; but if you text every once in a while this should meet your needs.

Pros

• Camera; Video (Slo-Mo & editing); Web Browser. Menu navigation is seamless and easy to learn. Having favorite contacts makes texting and calling easier.

Cons

• Resistive screen is not as accurate as capacitive. No apps.

moochieee posted on Sep 20, 2009, 12:58 AM

Not the best phonee..

I've had this phone for a long time now. Over a year. This phone was the best phone ever for the first, lets say, month. This phone made me hate touch full touch screen phones. It's an alright phone, don't get me wrong, but I get this weird ticking noise when I'm on the phone with someone, and it restarts on me all the time. Sometimes, when the screen goes black, I can't get it to light up again. The touch screen stops working all the time. And I hate that I can't feel buttons anymore, though the vibrations do help with that. The battery life started depleting after the first couple months, and I don't like that it gets super hot when I'm talking on the phone. It forgets my words on T9 all the time. I have to make it relearn things every day, and it changes from t9 to ABC all the time. Overall, it's an okay phone, just not the best.

Mayme posted on Sep 11, 2009, 12:23 PM

I got the LG Dare a couple months ago and absolutely love it! I work for an indirect VZW store, so I have a lot of background on a lot of phones. I always go with LG, because LG's texting word format is easiest to use, and LG makes the loudest phones. The touch screen is correct and even acknowledge my fingernails. TEXTING IS A BREEZE!!! it is so easy to text, much much easier than i ever imagined. After having it 2 weeks, I was able to text without looking. The CAMERA IS PHENOMENAL!!! I always forget my digital camera, or the batteries run down, so I started using my phone as my camera. It holds a ton of pictures without a micro SD card. Also, ringtones can be saved from text messages, and sound really good.  Speaker Phone is crystal clear. I have the best voice quality with this phone then I have ever had with any other (I've had atleast 2 dozen phones!!)... It is so great, BATTERY STAYS CHARGED A LONG TIME!! I can get 3-4 days without charging and I use mine for internet, and texting. Have a friend that just makes voice calls, and he let his run completely dead, it took 10 days!!! I am so impressed with this phone!

Pros

• Easy Texting, Clear Resolution, Good Voice quality, Fast Internet, Great Battery Life

Cons

• None!!

beezley posted on Sep 04, 2009, 4:48 PM

One of the best phones ever. I mean ever lol

Before buying this phone i had the lg env. I love the env, after having almost ever other brand of phone that verizon had i came to realize that LG makes the best phones. So when i decided to get a new phone i decided to go with Lg. Im glad i did. The Dare is the best phone ever. The only one i liked anywhere near it was the env. Everyone i know has a verizon phone so before getting it i asked my friends and family and tried out there phones, nothing was anywhere near as good as the dare. I bought this when it came out and have not had a problem with it at all. People say it is not a good texting phone for heavy texters but i am a heavy texter and have even sent around 30,000 txt msg in a month a have not had a single problem texting. Very easy to text with Qwerty or with Word. Another thing i love about the phone is its music player it is a very very good player. I love being able to listen to music while texting or doing other things with the ease of changing song from the main screen.  Picture taking qaulity is excellent, and it has many features to edit pictures or videos. Menus are easy to use and i love the shortcut menu. Havent had a single problem with the touch screen, works perfectly even after seven months of heavy use. Battery life is amazing, never worry about it dying. Bluetooth work great. It has only randomly reset itself maybe twice but most phones do that, so thats not a problem. Overall it is such a wonderful phone. it has great features...

Pros

• Great for Texting
  • Touch Screen works perfectly
  • Great picture taking quality
  • Great music player
  • Great Feautres

Cons

No Cons

v posted on Aug 06, 2009, 3:12 PM

Better than the iPhone!

My mom just got this phone last week. It is awesome! I love how you can drag icons from the main menu to the home screen. I had to get used to texting on this phone, though. It also had handwriting recognition for dialing, but it doesn't always dial the right number that you want it to. I wish it included a stylus for that. There is also no regular DTMF tone sound for the dialpad. She decided to turn that feature off. It is a way better phone than my phone, and works better than it. I wish I had this phone!

Pros

• Full keyboard, nice design, better than iPhone, works great, full HTML browser, great dialpad, drag-and-drop interface, great clarity and quality, great fit and finish, slim and sleek, there's wayyyyyyy to much to say about this phone!

Cons

• Handwriting recognition isn't great, no stylus included, no DTMF sound, hard to text.

lis posted on Jul 31, 2009, 11:22 AM

GREAT PHONE

This phone is AWESOME, and i have heard tons of times that people prefer this to the iPhone because the iPhone can be hacked into through text messages alot easier than the LG Dare. The phone functions great, looks awesome, picture and sound quality amazing, the internet is fast, but doesnt load the page to the full view. The only problem i have had is the texting, i used to have a razr and i would text really fast even without looking but now i have to watch what i touch. also, when you are trying to scroll down on a list it will sometime accidentally select a function you do not want because there is no scroll bar, you have to touch the phone very accuratly. Other than that its an all around great phone. It just takes about a week to get used to all of the functions and features then from there its easy. i give it a 9 out of a 10.

Pros

• Fast internet
  • great pics
  • great sound
  • great features and funsies.

Cons

• Texting is a lil hard at first.

skymaster posted on Jul 29, 2009, 10:09 AM

I love it!

I have had this phone for almost a year now and I still love it!  I did have a small issue of it locking up after I would end long calls, but I took it back and Verizon gave me a BRAND new one and that fixed that issue.  I am a hardcore texter (something like 8000 a month) and it is simple to use.  The virtual qwerty is a little difficult but I use the t9 anyways.  It stores all of the words that I use in it.  I have never had an issue with it not storing something that it didnt already know.  The touch is really responsive.  The battery life is one of the best that I have seen for people that text ALOT.  The phone is sleek and a fairly decent size.  The pictures are great.  It also gives an option for video that you can record short or long videos.  I like the photo editing capabilities also.  The music player has a nice crisp sound.  I get great reception even when in areas that are not so great.  There is a neat drawing pad too.  The web runs at a decent speed and it has alot of games and ringtones and the like available for it.  I have tried the storm and the versa and neither seem to hold a candle to the dare. (if you dont need a smartphone.)  I keep a screen protector on mine at all times, and the screen is still beautiful and super responsive.  Having gotten this phone without a contract, I am eligible to upgrade, and have been for a while.  There is nothing out there that I think...

miss rj posted on Jul 23, 2009, 4:05 AM

not good after only 7 months!

I've had this phone since december 20. At first it's a great phone, great pictures, awesome touch screen. Don't let this fool you! The screen has scratched, the phone turns itself off constantly (8 times a day for me) and simply missing the button you wish to press becomes infuriating after a few months, and i have really thin fingers so it's not that they're too fat and are just missing it lol. If you're a hardcore texter like me, this phone is NOT for you. You'll miss the keys constantly and it gets sooo annoying. And if you have the phone sideways and youre using T9, it will flip to the annoying keyboard that you WON'T wanna use and once you flip the phone back to the right way, it turns into ABC texting instead of T9. I was convinced I could get used to the keyboard but it's just not worth it. You have to press the SYMBOLS key every time you wanna type ~!@#$%^&*()_+ etc. And it always forgets the words I have saved for T9 texting so don't think that will works or save you either. I hate this phone so much. Now I have to earn $429 to get a blackberry. sigh.

Pros

• -Good touch screen
  • -Great call quality
  • -Great camera
  • -Great internet

Cons

• -Annoying when you miss the buttons
  • -Turns itself off
  • -Keyboard sucks
  • -T9 doesn't remember words
  • -Freezes
  • -Easy to accidentally press PIX message instead of TXT, then it takes forever to leave the PIX message area
  • -Doesn't keep camera settings
  • -Flash on camera sucks majorly

Anonymous posted on Jul 22, 2009, 11:41 AM

Great!

I've had the dare for about 8 months now and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't want any other phone.  The screen is big, clear and colorful.  The touch screen can sometimes become unresponsive, but after having it for so long I barely even notice it.  Texting is sometimes not easy.  If you don't have agile small fingertips, then using the virtual QWERTY keyboard is probably not for you.  Luckly though, I find it alright.  This isn't a phone for hardcore texters since sometimes you can hit wrong letters.  Camera works beautifully, great picture, though the video isn't amazing if you can't hold your hand absolutely still.  Video can get pixelly and jagged if jerked around even the slightest bit.  The sound quality for the music is great.  I love the option to change to equalizer to flat, rock, piano, concert hall, and more!  Now, a major draw back for this phone is every 2 to 4 months the software or something else on it can go wacky.  The first time this happened, the phone dialed calls by itself, rearrange the icons on the shortcuts bin, move around the favorites pictures, and move the pictures into different orders.  Luckily, Verizonwireless offers to replace the phone for free! After I went and replaced it, 2 and a half months later, the phone no longer recognized when plugged into the charger.  To charge now I have to plug into the computer, which can be a hassle.  I'm going to go and replace...

Pros

• Bright, colorful, large screen.
  • User friendly
  • Fun features
  • Great camera
  • Sound quality is really good

Cons

• Becomes wonky after a few months
  • Not for hardcore texters
  • Sometimes unresponsive/restarts randomly
  • Bad video taking

Darien posted on Jul 11, 2009, 1:40 PM

This'll do it if you don't want a smart phone.

I've had this phone for 7 months now and it's currently using the V06 firmware and i gotta say this phone has the best UI i've ever used on a touchscreen phone from Verizon i have only had problems with the hardware itself, it's well put together even though the crome on the spine gets a little worn if not cleaned regularaly but software wise it's very well balenced with todays cellular needs with a full html browser, music player, gps and a decent 3.2 megapixel camera it'll definatly get the job done although it may not live up to some of it's smarter counterparts with killer operating systems on other carriers like the iPhone or the Pre but if having Verizon's most reliable 3G network matters than the LG Dare is a winner.

Pros

• easy to use, large responsive touchscreen, decent camera, access to V Cast Music w/ Rhapsody, good web browser (not the best but good).

Cons

• not a phone that'll last you a long time, Virtual Keyboard slow to go away on IM Client and occasionally on the Browser.

Jordan posted on Jul 05, 2009, 11:57 AM

LG Dare

this is the best phone ever. The touch screen is unbelievable and its easy to text i would take this phone over ther iphone

Pros

• touchscreen

doesn't matter posted on Jul 03, 2009, 9:13 PM

la la la

I love this phone!!!!!! What I can't stand though is that the texting sucks! I love everything about it except for the texting. I'm a major texter and with all my old phone it was fast, but with the DARE I'm slow because it's so hard.

Pros

• Awesome phone

Cons

• texting

Anonymous posted on Jun 27, 2009, 5:21 PM

GREAT!!

This is the best phone i've ever had so far....it's cool, good looking, it's the best, texting is sorta hard but everything else is so cool it doesn't even matter!!

Pros

• Camera, design, music player.!!

Cons

• Texting

socalblonde89 posted on Jun 27, 2009, 5:11 PM

love it

I have had this phone about 4 months now and my only concern is it sometimes resets itself while looking through past text messages or on sites like facebook. it's very easy to use once you get used to the touch screen. I've gone through about 6 verizon phones in the last two years and this is by far my favorite of the bunch.

Pros

• stylish
  • easy to use
  • great design
  • takes excellent photos

Cons

• hard to text quickly
  • resets randomly