Man greets the day by nearly getting electrocuted by a charging iPhone

32-year old Wiley Day considers himself lucky to be alive. On March 22nd, he had his iPhone plugged into an extension cord, something he did every night so that he could keep his phone in bed while it charged up for the next day. When he awoke the next morning, the dog tag he was wearing around his neck somehow got caught between the metal prongs on the charger and the extension cord. The resulting electric jolt knocked Day from his bed to the ground...
This is a discussion for a news article. To read the whole news, click here

70 Comments

68. NarutoKage14

Posts: 1312; Member since: Aug 31, 2016

I myself use a 6' cable.

56. Boybawang

Posts: 204; Member since: Jun 02, 2013

The IPhone is a racist!

57. hungpakto

Posts: 48; Member since: Sep 30, 2016

I can always feels the electricity when touch apple devices even without charging. It's not the first day story.

59. kiko007

Posts: 7493; Member since: Feb 17, 2016

Lol...wut???

69. NarutoKage14

Posts: 1312; Member since: Aug 31, 2016

EMF super sensitivity? It's a real thing.

65. sissy246

Posts: 7031; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

LOL , what are you smoking.

79. AlikMalix unregistered

hungpakto, there's also something called static... if you live in a very dry area and have carpets - that can build up static and you offload it as soon as you touch something metal. Or see if you got high voltage powerlines nearby to your house - that will also built up static just by walking on carpet... and you would offload this charge (read: little shock) everytime you touch something metallic. The misconception is that it's not something shocking you, it's your own built-up charge that is shocking something else, your sort of shooting tiny bolts of electricity, lol.. That may be the case... but you're saying that you "feel" it only with APPLE DEVICES and while it's not plugged in? That's just weird - inherently they're no different than any electrical battery powered appliance or phone... the battery has so little power - that it should not shock you unless the device is defective - in which case it probably wouldn't charge or turn on if it has enough power to shock you. It makes no sense...

58. hungpakto

Posts: 48; Member since: Sep 30, 2016

And as I remember, iPhone did killed one woman in china by electricity

73. alexvoda

Posts: 39; Member since: Jan 11, 2013

This is not just a freak accident. This is a failure of the design of the electrical plug. This kind of accident is impossible with the the Europlug, European Shuko plug, the french plug, the British plug and probably others. These plugs either have partially isolated prongs or are plugged inside the socket as opposed to on the face of the socket.

87. Soundjudgment

Posts: 370; Member since: Oct 10, 2016

This Headline makes it seem the *iPhone* was a direct cause for this unfortunate accident. It is not. This is a pure AC-Electrical issue which could have happened with just about any device.
This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.