Man greets the day by nearly getting electrocuted by a charging iPhone

32-year old Wiley Day considers himself lucky to be alive. On March 22nd, he had his iPhone plugged into an extension cord, something he did every night so that he could keep his phone in bed while it charged up for the next day. When he awoke the next morning, the dog tag he was wearing around his neck somehow got caught between the metal prongs on the charger and the extension cord. The resulting electric jolt knocked Day from his bed to the ground...
This is a discussion for a news article. To read the whole news, click here

70 Comments

6. Scott93274

Posts: 6030; Member since: Aug 06, 2013

Damn, that's a gnarly burn. I'm glad he's alright. My phone charges on my nightstand while I'm asleep, it sits on a non-combustible surface and out of reach of any potential hazards.

9. salami1980

Posts: 80; Member since: Dec 27, 2016

He should try to use one of the Sony Xperia X series smartphones with all night safe charging technology Qnovo. the only OEM which thought about all night charging safety method is Sony.

11. Plasticsh1t

Posts: 3094; Member since: Sep 01, 2014

Now some dumbass here will come and say "uhhhhmmm iPhones kill people. Apple is evil. Don't buy Apple products. Blah blah blah multitasking blah blah". Glad the guy is okay.

19. Scott93274

Posts: 6030; Member since: Aug 06, 2013

iPhones kill people. Apple is evil. Don't buy Apple products. Blah blah blah multitasking blah blah!!! .... Sorry, I just didn't want to disappoint you. Hiya! :D

13. darkkjedii

Posts: 30900; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

Damn dude! Glad he's ok, that looks pretty bad.

16. lyndon420

Posts: 6599; Member since: Jul 11, 2012

Dumbass is using an extension cord wrong...geez what's next?!? Lol.

21. tedkord

Posts: 17198; Member since: Jun 17, 2009

Ouch. Happy he wasn't killed. I'm also happy to see the comments so far are relatively troll free.

23. Scott93274

Posts: 6030; Member since: Aug 06, 2013

Well, you can have people try to troll Apple, but the Article clearly indicates that it was his method of connecting his charger that was the result of the issue, and not at all the fault of the Apple branded hardware. I've been away from the site for a while, I'm actually really shocked, and impressed by the maturity of the people in this specific article... thus far. Did anyone notable get banned in the last month or two?

43. tedkord

Posts: 17198; Member since: Jun 17, 2009

I don't know, I don't pay that much attention. I didn't even read the article.

53. sissy246

Posts: 7035; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

Well all but plastic. He is trying to get something started. There is no way this would be the iPhone ok new fault. The dumbass is the o ly one at fault here.

62. sissy246

Posts: 7035; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

Ok, was half asleep when I posted this lol Edit, There is now way this is the iPhones fault.

54. ecmedic4

Posts: 520; Member since: May 02, 2013

Agreed on both parts of your comment. In this case, it was is the guy that is at fault, for having part of the extension cable in bed with him just so he could charge his phone while it was on the bed. How he got his dog tags caught between the prongs of the charger and where they plugged into the extension cord is beyond me, that seems like real skill to manage to do something like that.

63. sissy246

Posts: 7035; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

I don't get why anyone would have to charge a pho e in bed while sleeping. Put the damn thing on the night stand.

26. Nexus4lifes

Posts: 287; Member since: Feb 13, 2014

poor guy! glad brother survived.

80. razmahtaz001

Posts: 501; Member since: May 11, 2013

word up..

28. dugudr

Posts: 1; Member since: Apr 02, 2017

Amazing! Nobody have a clue of what's going on including the writer. This has nothing to do w iPhone. The necklace crossed the charger's two prong so it doesn't matter what plugged in after.

34. Scott93274

Posts: 6030; Member since: Aug 06, 2013

But it was an iPhone so it was relevant. If the guy slept with his toaster then I'm sure that it wouldn't be something of interest to this site, but it's relevant to this site because it deals with products heavily covered here and it can simply be considered a public service announcement "Know how to safely charge your personal electronics over night". Thus far, no one is being critical of the phone brand because the content of the article never alluded that it was the cause of the accident. Accept the fact that the article was published and hope that if you didn't get anything of value from it, that at least one other person might have and that they're safer after having read it.

50. AlikMalix unregistered

That's exactly what's missing from the entire logic of this article.

33. LovesCameras

Posts: 51; Member since: Dec 02, 2015

Good thing he's alive, not long ago a baby passed away after taking a similar cable to the mouth. There should be a warning on every charger as the general public still seems to think USB cables are low power stuff. With USB-C these things are likely to happen more often, with the worst outcomes, unfortunately.

38. rcchomper

Posts: 1; Member since: Apr 02, 2017

The guy did not get shocked or nearley electroucted. He got burnt. Place any metal between the poles of any plug and it will get real hot real fast. The chain acked like the heating element in an electric heater. Poor guy. s**t happens. But he did not get shocked.

44. bassjo

Posts: 3; Member since: Apr 02, 2017

While it's obvious from the injuries that he got burnt... he most definitely got shocked as well! Your skin will conduct current just as easily as a bit of metal.

39. iLovesarcasm

Posts: 589; Member since: Oct 20, 2014

iPhone has nothing to do with this.

40. Plasticsh1t

Posts: 3094; Member since: Sep 01, 2014

Post 12 disagrees with you.

42. bassjo

Posts: 3; Member since: Apr 02, 2017

This is a horrible freak accident but the title is very misleading. This could have very well have happened while using a toaster... Charging the iPhone didn't nearly electrocute him, the metal object around his neck coming into contact with mains voltage is what did the damage.

45. combatmedic870

Posts: 983; Member since: Sep 02, 2015

He did get electrocuted. He didn't nearly get. He DID

49. AlikMalix unregistered

Wait wait wait, this was due to the charger block not plugged in all the way into extension cord - exposing the prongs of said block? How the hell is this iPhone related? This is on every device you can buy in the world. They all have prongs sticking out of the end of that cord - there's no possible software, safety, or component that can stop the direct current thru those prongs. The only thing that can help is the GFcI outlet or a proper ARC Breaker at the panel which are required now by law when upgrading or building new electrical in the house. I'm an electrician (among other building construction by trade). Im telling you this is not iPhone related, if it happened to Samsung - it would not be Samsung related. This is just how electricity is transferred from outlet to charging block - and only AFTER its within the charging block that this can be modified to be safer thru software or hardware it failsafe of some sorry by Apple or Samsung or w/e. But it this case it would still not have stopped Thai scenario. It's like asking a phone to turn off power to your house in case of a short circuit. Read the description on where his necklace chain actually got crossed with electrical current and think logically how this is "electricuted by iPhone".

74. alexvoda

Posts: 39; Member since: Jan 11, 2013

True, not an issue with the iPhone. But this is an issue with the plug design. This would have been impossible with european plugs.

77. AlikMalix unregistered

European plugs have two prongs, if they were slightly pulled back, they would have enough space between the female extension cord plug and male charging block cord for a chain to fall thru and send the current to wearer. In some European countries both prongs are hot = 240Volts - this would actually damage this guy even more if not killed him...

78. AlikMalix unregistered

Just saw your post #73.. it makes more sense what you meant... we have plugs like that, but they're unpopular due to aesthetics of the damn thing... usually we would install recessed outlets behind fridges, and beds so that what ever is plugged in - would not protrude and allow furniture to sit flush with the wall... We do have failsafes to avoid these kind of scenarios... if the house was built after 1980's the breakers would not be old enough today to allow even the smallest short circuit - they're very sensitive. AND if the house was built after year 2000 or so, it would have been required to have an ARC breaker for all the bedrooms - that would trip the circuit even if the chain did not cross hot and neutral, ground and neutral (which do not shock you) will trip it right away... My guess that either the breaker was too old (at least 50-60 years old) or defective (if the house he lived was newer home).

55. wkm001

Posts: 145; Member since: Feb 04, 2014

I always use a 10' USB type C cable in the bedroom. AC can stay in the wall.
This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.