x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA
  • Options
    Close





Authorities release ironic last text message sent by electrocuted 14-year old

0. phoneArena posted on 16 Jul 2017, 13:35

Last week we passed along the sad story about Madison Coe, the 14-year old girl who was electrocuted after bringing her cellphone into the bath with her. Yesterday, the Lovington Police released a text that was apparently sent just before Coe was shocked to death. The text, sent to a friend, contained a photo of an extension cord wrapped in a towel and read, "When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath."...

This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 13:39 1

1. tedkord (Posts: 14734; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)


Oh good. This should generate some real quality comments.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 15:10

9. Flash (banned) (Posts: 1972; Member since: 19 May 2017)


Unfortunately so. I wish PA wouldn't post these types of articles, but they are only doing what any journalist would do.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 15:24 1

10. Spyro (Posts: 333; Member since: 29 Mar 2017)


This is what any journalist SHOULD do. Exposing issues that needs to be addressed for the sake of advocating safety measures.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 15:29

11. AmashAziz (Posts: 1602; Member since: 30 Jun 2014)


I think flash your opinions don't matter more than the safety of those unaware kids who may get electrocuted. Please hold some value for human life if your comments can't hold any value themselves.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 16:51 1

17. aegislash (Posts: 1075; Member since: 27 Jan 2015)


But FlashMxy didn't say anything tasteless? All he did was point out that this is the sort of content a journalist, specifically a tech journalist, would post about.

posted on 17 Jul 2017, 09:06

29. Flash (banned) (Posts: 1972; Member since: 19 May 2017)


*Flash

posted on 17 Jul 2017, 09:06

28. Flash (banned) (Posts: 1972; Member since: 19 May 2017)


Your comment is pretty worthless.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 17:08

19. tedkord (Posts: 14734; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)


I don't blame PA. I'm still disgusted by some of the comments on the original story.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 22:31

23. sissy246 (Posts: 4223; Member since: 04 Mar 2015)


I kinda wish PA hadn't of done this article.
I think everyone on PA saw enough of the last article to inform their kids not to do that. I just hope everyone keeps their comments nice.
This is a horrible thing that happened.

posted on 17 Jul 2017, 00:13

24. audibot (Posts: 208; Member since: 26 Jan 2017)


so glad i have a gs8 with a battery that lasts so when i use it in the pool like today for underwater videos and music and movies in the tub i dont risk death

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 13:42 1

2. jeroome86 (Posts: 2202; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)


I don't know PA. Last article brought out some ugly comments. Maybe this is important to cover with your teenagers. Just don't want to see the hate from the usual suspects this time.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 14:15 1

4. Scott93274 (Posts: 5583; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)


It's a horrible thing to have to report on for sure, you just have to hope that people have at least a little shred of dignity in them.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 14:14

3. Scott93274 (Posts: 5583; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)


Damn, I'll definitely be sharing this with my daughter. The kid gets all A's and B's in school, but some times she just doesn't think.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 14:28 1

5. SupermanayrB (Posts: 1185; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)


Kudos on her grades & kudos for reaching out to her. You have no idea how many adults I've come across that have tons of book smarts but very little common sense or street smarts.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 14:52 1

7. Plasticsh1t (Posts: 2449; Member since: 01 Sep 2014)


Be careful with your children and be safe.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 16:32

15. L0n3n1nja (Posts: 679; Member since: 12 Jul 2016)


Do it! Make sure she understands how dangerous electricity is. I had great grades in school, but this is someone my parents taught me when I was young. Than again I had an over protective mother.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 14:51 1

6. Plasticsh1t (Posts: 2449; Member since: 01 Sep 2014)


This sad story sure will make an example for other teenagers. Condolences to the family.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 14:56

8. Spyro (Posts: 333; Member since: 29 Mar 2017)


It's common knowledge that water and electronics don't fit in the same spectrum and yet there are people who get into accidents like these because of poor judgement. This should serve as a lesson to all teens out there who use their phone 90% of the time.

RIP to all victims of electrocution via water.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 16:36

16. L0n3n1nja (Posts: 679; Member since: 12 Jul 2016)


Common knowledge to an adult, less so a kid/teen. Maybe she knew it was dangerous and just had to be on her phone, maybe she had no idea it could do more than shock her so she didn't know she was risking death.

Unfortunately she died, but it's a good reminder the dangers of electricity and the importance to educate our children on the matter to prevent this from happening to someone else.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 15:37

12. Jackdaw (Posts: 63; Member since: 10 Mar 2016)


It's sad and this won't doesn't justify it, but she was an idiot. Bad things happen, end of story.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 16:00

13. diggie32 (banned) (Posts: 388; Member since: 03 Apr 2016)


"When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath."

Despise these "when you", "my face when", ect

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 16:02

14. diggie32 (banned) (Posts: 388; Member since: 03 Apr 2016)


"When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath."

Despise these "when you", "my face when", ect

Yeah, cause I use an extension cord all the time in the shower

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 17:03

18. Tipus (Posts: 251; Member since: 30 Sep 2016)


What??

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 17:10

20. matistight (Posts: 576; Member since: 13 May 2009)


So sue companies that allow wires to fray

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 18:41

21. mixedfish (Posts: 1343; Member since: 17 Nov 2013)


Yep, can't be her fault because she took all those precautions to keep the cable dry.

posted on 16 Jul 2017, 22:10

22. trojan_horse (Posts: 5341; Member since: 06 May 2016)


"Yep, can't be her fault because she took all those precautions to keep the cable dry."

It's not her fault? Whose fault is it then?
This article says:

"Coe was unaware of a frayed section of the cord, which was covered with water when she touched it while in the tub. That resulted in the deadly surge of electricity that killed her."

That means the precautions she took weren't good enough. Too bad.

posted on 17 Jul 2017, 00:15

25. audibot (Posts: 208; Member since: 26 Jan 2017)


this is Darwinism to the max just like the selfie idiots that die just clearing the earth

posted on 17 Jul 2017, 02:01

26. VZWuser76 (Posts: 4811; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)


And I'm sure no one commenting here did anything stupid or something that, looking back now, was life threatening at the age of 14 (or throughout their teen years for that matter). There's a reason people that age still need a legal guardian, can't drive, vote, drink, or serve in the military.

posted on 17 Jul 2017, 05:35

27. Jackdaw (Posts: 63; Member since: 10 Mar 2016)


But by that age I'm sure they can take a 10 minutes shower or a bath without a phone and a legal guardian.
If you take an electrical device to bath with you, (because you can't wait that 10 minutes until you are done) make sure you know the consequences. Otherwise you are just again, an idiot.

posted on 17 Jul 2017, 13:04

30. VZWuser76 (Posts: 4811; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)


Children don't know what is and isn't dangerous, it's up to their parents to teach them those things. If the parents didn't teach them, they may have seen it on TV, or maybe not. You're making an awful lot of assumptions without actually knowing the situation beyond these articles. And especially if a child hasn't known the death of someone close to them, they're further insulated from the consequences. I grew up on a farm, and had a very wide understanding of what can kill you, because a farm can be a dangerous place and my parents made sure to educate me about it. And being an adult doesn't excuse people from being stupid. I had a brother who was an apartment manager and made a comment to one of his tenants that they needed to change the winter air in their tires as a joke. The next day their car had 4 flat tires. Now if their parents had taught them anything about car care, they would've known it was a joke. But some people aren't interested in learning, something I'm seeing more with newer generations.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories