14 year old taking a bath is electrocuted by her cellphone

This past Sunday, 14-year old Madison Coe was soaking in a tub at her father's home in Lovington, New Mexico when the unthinkable happened. She either plugged her phone into an outlet while submerged in the bath, or she went to hold her phone which was already plugged in. Either way, the combination of electricity and water resulted in the electrocution death of Coe, who had just graduated 8th grade...
This is a discussion for a news article. To read the whole news, click here

146 Comments

58. RoboticEngi

Posts: 1251; Member since: Dec 03, 2014

So sad......

70. Michigan

Posts: 246; Member since: Nov 19, 2016

wait you hear another idiot say it was a Samsung made phone.

73. jove39

Posts: 2146; Member since: Oct 18, 2011

Sad...but important lesson for others taking shower with plugged in electrical device.

77. vasra

Posts: 129; Member since: Feb 27, 2014

Sad. Almost all phone chargers work at 5V/2A max. Not nearly enough to kill anyone from skin surface current. It would be interesting to know what the phone charger used was -- it should clearly be taken out of the circulation, as it is dangerous.

84. gdawilson

Posts: 299; Member since: Jul 21, 2014

Thought it was common sense not to use an electronic device when in water...

85. monoke

Posts: 1161; Member since: Mar 14, 2015

No matter how water proof a phone is, I never will under any circumstance let it touch water ever. Common sense rules for me. Water and electricity are fatal enemies!

130. fastfreddy123

Posts: 66; Member since: Mar 25, 2017

Ahmuzecab, is a troll desperate for attention. according to his profile he wants no phone has no phone and has never had a phone, So he makes rude comments to get attention on subjects he is clueless and cares nothing about.Hopefully Phonearena will remove his comment. Wish the family the best and we will be praying for you.

152. Zylam

Posts: 1816; Member since: Oct 20, 2010

Heartbreaking. Losing a child is probably worse than death itself for a parent. She's seems like she was a really happy and nice person, the world lost something incredible. Heartbreaking. Hopefully she finds peace in the afterlife.

153. Slytherin

Posts: 268; Member since: Mar 02, 2017

My heart goes out to her family and friends no matter how this came to be!

154. TerryD

Posts: 546; Member since: May 09, 2017

In the UK you can only have a shaver socket in the bathroom. In our bathrooms we don't even have them. The risk of something like this is too high. no matter how careful you are, accidents happen so its better to have regulations to protect people from themselves.

158. jeroome86

Posts: 2314; Member since: Apr 12, 2012

Did a bunch of comments get deleted?

161. sissy246

Posts: 7110; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

Looks that way. This is one time I agree with it. You did the right thing this time PA, or who ever did it.

* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.