14 year old taking a bath is electrocuted by her cellphone

This past Sunday, 14-year old Madison Coe was soaking in a tub at her father's home in Lovington, New Mexico when the unthinkable happened. She either plugged her phone into an outlet while submerged in the bath, or she went to hold her phone which was already plugged in. Either way, the combination of electricity and water resulted in the electrocution death of Coe, who had just graduated 8th grade...
This is a discussion for a news article. To read the whole news, click here

146 Comments

7. xtroid2k

Posts: 601; Member since: Jan 11, 2010

My condolences to the family.

18. Podrick

Posts: 1285; Member since: Aug 19, 2015

To people above, what she did was stupid but she was a kid ffs. RIP.

26. darkkjedii

Posts: 31075; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

RIP young lady, absolutely tragic. Thank you PA, for not mentioning the phone type. Too many idiots already posting. A young lady lost here life.

31. Podrick

Posts: 1285; Member since: Aug 19, 2015

Absolutely. Some people will make anything about iOS vs Android. Stupid fanboys and haters.

59. darkkjedii

Posts: 31075; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

Exactly, and that's plain stupid.

122. Flash

Posts: 1972; Member since: May 19, 2017

Darkk I don't like you, but I hope you realize how awful techie is just from this article. And don't try to say anything about you not reading his comments because I won't buy it.

125. darkkjedii

Posts: 31075; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

I do not give one hair on a flies ass, about you not liking me. My wife, best friends, and family love me, and they live in the real world...not on PA. Techie is a grown man, that I don't know. Who he is as a person, doesn't concern me. I don't why you take this site so serious, with all these different accounts, but I'm gonna keep it 100. You need to log off, and go get some p****.

150. Flash

Posts: 1972; Member since: May 19, 2017

You do care otherwise you wouldn't have been triggered. I called you out on it and now you are trying to play the tough guy act. I don't take this site seriously you idiot, but a child just died here and your buddy is making some pretty offensive comments. Get over it. Btw, I got some last night. Try again. Maybe you should consider asking your wife for some provided she isn't a blow up Samsung doll.

157. darkkjedii

Posts: 31075; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

Keyboard warriors don't impress. No woman on earth would want to date you. You are the same in general life, as you are here.

27. Bfrenz

Posts: 285; Member since: Aug 26, 2012

Haven't her parents say don't play wid switches,fire etc.? RIP

74. tedkord

Posts: 17358; Member since: Jun 17, 2009

Probably. As a parent on his second teenager (thankfully both are alive and well), I can tell you that kids don't listen. They think they know more than you do. I did. So did you. It's human nature.

129. darkkjedii

Posts: 31075; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

That's true. I learned some hard lessons, by not listening to my parents.

146. sissy246

Posts: 7120; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

Same here. I had horses when I was a kid. I was told never run your horse home, I did. Then he got to were we would head for home and run off with me and couldn't stop him. He hit the road with me 2 of those time and we went down. I was lucky and didn't get killed. I was told never take your horse over wire on the ground, I did and so did my friend, she got hurt because of it and so did her horse. Kids do stupid s**t sometimes, it doesn't mean they need to be killed because of it.

156. darkkjedii

Posts: 31075; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

Damn, you are lucky. When I read the article, my heart dropped, was like damn man. Losing your child like this has to be tough.

159. sissy246

Posts: 7120; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

I just can not imagine what her parents are going through, any parent for that matter.

160. sissy246

Posts: 7120; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

Edit: And yes, I was very lucky.

162. darkkjedii

Posts: 31075; Member since: Feb 05, 2011

Gotta be gut wrenching sis.

151. Flash

Posts: 1972; Member since: May 19, 2017

That's fairly obvious.

34. zr2s10

Posts: 45; Member since: Jul 07, 2017

So many people on here are apparently assholes... This is horrible, and I hope I never have to deal with the loss of a child. Mine are my world, and I'd be absolutely destroyed by something like this. I know they're trying to say it was the phone/being plugged in, but there's no chance it was the phone, or even it's cord. Nothing from a phone cord carries the voltage to kill someone, even in water. She must have plugged in the charger with a wet hand, causing the accident. Perfect example of why we have building codes. There are rules about distance of outlets from sink/tubs, and GFCI protection. Unfortunately, their house must be a little older, or someone improperly changed the wiring. GFCI failure is unlikely, they usually fail in a tripped, or easily tripped state.

82. izim1

Posts: 1599; Member since: Feb 04, 2013

"but there's no chance it was the phone, or even it's cord. Nothing from a phone cord carries the voltage to kill someone, even in water". This is exactly the type of ignorance im talking about, that gets people killed. Voltage isn't what kills. Amps do. Anything over 100mA can be lethal. Chargers and cables nowadays run over 1000mA through them. 5x the amount required to fibrillate a healthy heart. And enough voltage to sustain it. The old "want some gum" prank used 1.5volts, minus the amps, and i think we all know how "fun" those were. Phone chargers put out 5 volts.

90. zr2s10

Posts: 45; Member since: Jul 07, 2017

Firstly, thanks for proving my point. Secondly, go pop your hood, and grab the battery terminals on your 12V, several hundred Amp battery, then come back and tell me who's ignorant now. Voltage is important in this as well, to overcome the resistance of the human body. No 5VDC, 1A charger is going to kill anyone. I tried posting a relevant link, but I've been on here less than a week (starting to regret it...), so it wouldn't let me attach it.

104. izim1

Posts: 1599; Member since: Feb 04, 2013

Youre seriously comparing a lead acid battery that delivers low voltage very short bursts of electricity, to a wire connected to a 110v source of steady electricity, aren't you?... Hey, you changed my mind. You go ahead and teach your kids that phone chargers are harmless. Let them play with them while in the shower. You do you, man. Let the haters keep hating.

113. tedkord

Posts: 17358; Member since: Jun 17, 2009

What does the composition of the battery have do with it? A car battery doesn't provide short bursts of power, it provides a constant voltage.

116. izim1

Posts: 1599; Member since: Feb 04, 2013

What? No it does not. Hence why an alternator exists. Car batteries are designed to give out bursts of energy before discharging and recharging, a process which helps protect against voltage spikes along with the voltage regulator in the alternator. It's also what makes it easy to kill your car battery. High school autoshop isnt offered any more or are you not there yet? Thats what the composition has to do with it. Haven't gotten to junior high science class either, huh? Also this happened here in north texas. News already said she dropped her connected phone into the full of water tub she was in. Meaning she never touched the outlet, itself. So it mustve been an act of Zeus, huh? Because according to you guys, it's just physically impossible for a regular phone charger to have killed her...

96. billy_shears

Posts: 7; Member since: Oct 06, 2013

that prank toy uses a transformer and a capacitor, it's a several hundred volts shock (some people claim it's 15000, I don't know for sure, the trick is to keep amperage low)

97. izim1

Posts: 1599; Member since: Feb 04, 2013

1.5 back in my days. First summer job was at a factory making them.

128. zr2s10

Posts: 45; Member since: Jul 07, 2017

So I guess that makes you an electrical engineer? lol The plug you put into the wall contains a transformer and control electronics, which drops the voltage and amperage to the desired output. The wire feeding the phone never sees 120V, and would likely vaporize if you put enough power through it to kill a person. And a car battery holds enough charge to crank a car over for over minute, it's not an instant discharge like a capacitor. But you built kiddie toys for a summer job, so I'll bow to your infinite genius.

36. Plasticsh1t

Posts: 3108; Member since: Sep 01, 2014

Poor child. My condolences to the family.

42. jeroome86

Posts: 2314; Member since: Apr 12, 2012

This is tragic. Good grief people. Have some compassion. Who cares what kind of phone this is. A child is more precious then these gadgets. Condolences to the family.

54. bucknassty

Posts: 1345; Member since: Mar 24, 2017

outlets around water are suppose to have GFCI

* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.