14 year old taking a bath is electrocuted by her cellphone

This past Sunday, 14-year old Madison Coe was soaking in a tub at her father's home in Lovington, New Mexico when the unthinkable happened. She either plugged her phone into an outlet while submerged in the bath, or she went to hold her phone which was already plugged in. Either way, the combination of electricity and water resulted in the electrocution death of Coe, who had just graduated 8th grade...
This is a discussion for a news article. To read the whole news, click here

146 Comments

1. pixel_ftw

Posts: 84; Member since: Jun 19, 2017

Sad news.

13. ahmuzencab

Posts: 192; Member since: May 12, 2017

Sad, but another case of Darwinism

47. Vega007

Posts: 78; Member since: May 18, 2017

Sad but true indeed. Everyone I know always raves how smart kids are now with tech. When I was growing up (and there was far less tech around), I knew that electricity does not play well with water very quickly. By 14, she should have known this.

98. trojan_horse

Posts: 5868; Member since: May 06, 2016

Looks like this case confirms the other article on PA stating how smartphones have made people dumb... Sad.

101. TechieXP1969

Posts: 14967; Member since: Sep 25, 2013

It is what it is....right?

109. ahmuzencab

Posts: 192; Member since: May 12, 2017

Correct

2. Critical54

Posts: 36; Member since: May 04, 2016

To be fair, This should be entirely a common sense thing not to handle electronic "anything" whilst submerged in water. They even teach you that water and electricity is a fatal combination in elementary school. She made a poor decision and the result was fatal, tragic.

3. joey_sfb

Posts: 6794; Member since: Mar 29, 2012

14 years old may be too young to realize the danger. Need coaching on electricity safety.

4. iDroidPhony

Posts: 59; Member since: Sep 21, 2016

The electric circuit in the bathroom does not have earth leakage protection? This happened in USA, each wet area electric circuit should have one.

6. Critical54

Posts: 36; Member since: May 04, 2016

Should but most houses are hugely outdated with current technologies and aren't fitted with these things unfortunately.

11. djcody

Posts: 228; Member since: Apr 17, 2013

Isn't the owner responsible to upgrade it. I did myself for family safety. Anyway sad story.

38. izim1

Posts: 1599; Member since: Feb 04, 2013

GFCIs have existed for relatively cheap mass production for the better part of 2 decades. And im not sure ive ever even seen an older home with an outlet by the bath tub/shower. Why would anyone even think about putting one there, a decade ago? That's something only newer houses have because people are idiots that dont understand or truly believe that outlet power + water + you = death. Hell that's how people committed suicide "back in the days". Sad that a parent lost their teenage kid, but i don't feel bad for her loss. Her parents are responsible. The first time you give your kid anything that they have to plug into an outlet, it is your responsibility/obligation to teach them about electrical safety and common sense. After that, either they understand or nature runs its course.

49. Rampage_Taco

Posts: 1060; Member since: Jan 17, 2017

Even if the outlet wasn't by the Tub, and by the sink, as most bathrooms are set up, she probably had a 6 or 9ft cable to reach the bathtub. I don't even bring my phone into the bathroom to shower, even with IP68 certification I'd rather be safe and let it stay in the bed room or living room

66. SYSTEM_LORD

Posts: 1168; Member since: Oct 05, 2015

She could've been doing this behind their backs... Not sure how you think this is automatically the parents' fault. It is not a good thing when anyone dies in a manner this avoidable. It's really easy to sit back from the land of the living and say how dumb someone was for doing something that led to their death. Have some compassion, people. The Darwinist mindset lacks this , it would seem.

100. trojan_horse

Posts: 5868; Member since: May 06, 2016

"She could've been doing this behind their backs... Not sure how you think this is automatically the parents' fault." My thoughts as well... She may have been educated by her parents about not using an electronic device in the bathroom, yet still did it behind their back... Damn, just... damn.

16. tedkord

Posts: 17356; Member since: Jun 17, 2009

And outlet in a bathroom should have GFCI protection, but older homes may not. Such a shame, my deepest sympathies to the parents. I have no idea how one gets past losing a child.

19. TechieXP1969

Posts: 14967; Member since: Sep 25, 2013

Depends on the age of the house.

5. Nexus4lifes

Posts: 294; Member since: Feb 13, 2014

phonearena not mentioning the actual phone responsible makes me guess it's an iphone

8. sissy246

Posts: 7111; Member since: Mar 04, 2015

WOW really, your going to bring up what phone it might be. It could have been any phone. This is one case that it doesn't matter what F-ing phone it was. This is awful that the young girl lost her life, and that poor family.

10. Critical54

Posts: 36; Member since: May 04, 2016

It wasn't even the phone, A phones battery will not provide enough voltage to kill someone, the charging cable is what killed her. The title was written so that it attracts attention to this article.

21. TechieXP1969

Posts: 14967; Member since: Sep 25, 2013

Am I bad person because I dont feel sorry for the kid? Sorry for their lose. But stupid is as stulid does and stupid woukd still be alive if she didn't do something so stupid. We are all human and we all make mistakes. Mist times we will make honest mistakes. But you can't make a mistake and plug anything into a wall and then get in a tub or shower.

28. NarutoKage14

Posts: 1324; Member since: Aug 31, 2016

I obviously don't know the full story but have you thought about her possibly having a learning disability?

107. TechieXP1969

Posts: 14967; Member since: Sep 25, 2013

At age 14 in 8th grade about to graduate and go to high school? If she knows her abcs and 123s, this is simple. I learned this crap at home from my parents.

120. Flash

Posts: 1972; Member since: May 19, 2017

We are talking about the girl in the article, not techie.

43. kiko007

Posts: 7493; Member since: Feb 17, 2016

"Am I bad person because I dont feel sorry for the kid?" Yes. Yes you are.

56. Nexus4lifes

Posts: 294; Member since: Feb 13, 2014

did i say i don't feel bad - "Am I a stupid fk to analyse others based assumptions?" YES YOU CERTAINLY ARE

57. kiko007

Posts: 7493; Member since: Feb 17, 2016

Was speaking specifically about Techie...

53. Alan01

Posts: 615; Member since: Mar 21, 2012

Actually, the phone's branding was not mentioned in the original report. And just for clarification, there is not one writer on the staff who would change a story just to protect a certain brand of phone. Regards, Alan F.

63. Cyberchum

Posts: 1066; Member since: Oct 24, 2012

The second part is just a lie. The manufacturer might be mentioned, but the undertone would scream cover-up!

131. ecmedic4

Posts: 520; Member since: May 02, 2013

Need to ban Techie for the posts he's making about this girl. What he's been saying is ridiculous and heartless. He has no place on here or any site for that matter. There was a loss of life of a child, its not something you comment on the way he has. Please do everyone a favor and get rid of him.

* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.