The new iPad (3) Review
0. phoneArena 16 Mar 2012, 14:11 posted on
Apple unveiled the highly-anticipated new iPad to the awaiting public sporting a very familiar body, but with some intriguing new internals. Indeed,there are some viable alternatives from the current Android camp that can easily manhandle the iPad 2 in the specs department, but with this so-called new iPad, it’s out to once again claim the throne and prove to the masses why it’s the biggest game in town...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 10080; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I picked mine up at 8 am in Vegas,and have been on it super heavy since
,due to my being on vacation. When I got it it was at 91% now its at 64%. That's 27% drop in basically 6 hrs of very heavy usage. So it no doubt will get a lot more than 10 on wifi... That's what it's on too,wifi.
60. greyhulk (Posts: 111; Member since: 30 Jun 2010)
Considering the fact that it's accomplishing this with a screen that has double the resolution and LEDs and 4X the number of pixels, not to mention twice the RAM and a quad core graphics chip, it's pretty impressive that it's not less. As it is, Apple had to cram 70% more battery into the form factor to keep it where it was.
I suppose Apple could have just doubled the battery on the iPad 2 and called it the iPad MAXX.
2. imkyle (Posts: 969; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Good review John. If you have an iPad 2 there really is no diar reason to upgrade.
38. cheetah2k (Posts: 768; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Its good to see that the most significant mind boggling awesome thing about the new ipad is the Samsung made IPS LCD screen.
This is perfect advertising for, and gives us all great hope for some brilliant Samsung Android tabs to be released in the not to distant future :)
50. imkyle (Posts: 969; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Samsung has the best screens. My Galaxy s II is perfection
61. greyhulk (Posts: 111; Member since: 30 Jun 2010)
My Note's screen is pretty badass, as well. Not sure I could ever go back to a lower resolution AMOLED display.
78. aligx2001 (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
the glaxy s II may have a good screen but its not retiena
79. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Retina is a definition only used by apple for advertising. In fact they changed the definition for the new iPad under the pretense that people hold it farther away making the pixels harder to see. Therefore if i hold an SII far enough away, according to apple it is a retina displa!
3. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
"Surely, it’s enough to catch most people off guard, but that’s just the kind of magic found with it."
so now PA is saying its magical. lol.
4. andro. (Posts: 1935; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
I see Pa is still claiming the main new feature of the 'new' ipad being the screen is made by apple. Apple have truimphed everyone with the screen and the reviewer is amazed at how apple have done it. Apple did not make or invent this screen but leave the apple propoganda continue
19. ngo2dd (Posts: 775; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Does it matter that they did not make or invent the screen? Apple is not a hardware company like HTC is not a hardware. The screen is good, why don't the other company use the same screen, this an apply article so why are you being a hater?
22. drtech (banned) (Posts: 135; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Apple engineers designed the screen and it's the best screen on the market. You guys complain when Apple doesn't have the best specs and also complain when it does.
29. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Oh my gosh. Another one of you. Apple didn't engineer the screen. It was the work and supplies of Sharp, LG, and Samsung.
30. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Please, do yourself a favor in order not to look like a stupid blind isheeep. Do some research before posting nonsensical statements. =]
58. asrr62 (Posts: 31; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
Its really funny how many silly iSh33p thumb down the comments lol
31. sorcio46 (Posts: 394; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
I totally agree man, and we talk bout 9/10 iPhonearena? 9 for a device that
-has NOT a File manager
-it is NOT compatible out of the box with SD and micro SD
-same UI as the 2007 iPhone (and there are NOT ways to edit it)
-is compatible with FEW video codec and file format
-it is NOT compatible with USB drivers
-the most important camera in a tablet (the front facing) has the LOWEST resolution of all the tablets in the market
-NO led flash for rear camera
-NO autofocus for rear camera (in video recording)
And i can continue for all the damn night...
40. drtech (banned) (Posts: 135; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
And is still being rated the best tablet on the market and will outsell any other tablet 10-1. Must be a reason people want it. Maybe one day you'll try Apple and find out why.
52. Sniggly (Posts: 6695; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Have you perhaps considered that we've tried Apple and found it lacking?
63. SleepingOz (unregistered)
No, he's too biased towards apple to think about that by himself.
75. sbmhome (Posts: 11; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
And that's fine that its not for you, but you are obviously in the VAST minority.
76. sbmhome (Posts: 11; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
That's fine if you don't like the iPad, but you are obviously in the minority.
59. dil2abu (Posts: 148; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
PhoneArena always gives high rating for Apple Products..
Xperia S best and powerful mobile got only 8.5..
68. saiki4116 (Posts: 324; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
"NO autofocus for rear camera".ya,auto focus for rear camera helps to quickly take a pic of documents(macro shots).
72. tahnik (Posts: 125; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
Do you know something about jailbreak?
oh yes...''jailbreak is another sh*t isn't it?
5. -box- (Posts: 3707; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
How is the resolution "unbelievable"? It's perfectly believable, and not even groundbreaking, just evolutionary. Since it's a Samsung display (soon to be LG and Sharp as well once they get QC figured out) we'll see the same thing (if not better, due to aspect ratio) on many other tablets in the market within months
6. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
you are right bro but since its an apple its magical and changes everything again.
8. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
Samsung is indeed the supplier, but Apple engineered the screen.
11. taz89 (Posts: 2008; Member since: 03 May 2011)
wrong apple did not create the screen...it was engineered by sharp and another....
25. andro. (Posts: 1935; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Its just typical how Ifans think its all apple 'magic' when it turns out their rivals produced the technology
17. darkkjedii (Posts: 10080; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Jus go get ur android tab,and leave the iPad to the people that want the best.
73. tahnik (Posts: 125; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
man,apple engineered the screen....sam,sharp,lg just supplied them....get a life....
7. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
I have to say I was quite impressed by the new iPad. Extremely peppy, gorgeous screen, and the color saturation is quite nice. I played a few HD videos on YouTube and again, extremely impressed by the quality. Reading is far easier on the new iPad as well. I think screen resolution was one of the major problems with trying to read for a long period of time on the original iPad and iPad 2. That problem is no more. Definitely a bigger step forward than the iPad 2 was to the original.
I think my only complaint is the weight. I know it's that much heavier than the iPad 2...but I remember even holding the iPad 2 and my hands just getting tired after a while. We may be a few years away from the iPad being as light as say a Kindle, but I look forward to that day. I think I'm also kind of disappointed that there aren't too many extras. I loved the addition of the SmartCovers and was disappointed not to see any other cool accessories debuting with this guy.
Still, I think this takes a nice step forward. I'm excited to see what graphically heavy games will result from this.
9. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
The reviewer isnt a fanboy or anything lol jk
20. ngo2dd (Posts: 775; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Why are all the Android fanboy acting like little baby. If apple people want it so be it. It is a good update, a higher clock cpu, a quad-core GPU ( same as the vita), a better camera, a better screen and for the same prices. So ya it is a good update.
47. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I was joking and basically refering to the fact that he kept calling it magical. I wasn't bashing Apple or the product, but by saying a device is magical is over the top and silly.
54. buggerrer (Posts: 282; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
"Some might complain about the lack of manual settings, but therein lies the iPad’s beauty as staying firm with a simplistic interface."
Umm, kinda does sound like spinning negatives into positives...unless unbiased reviewers are supposed do those kinds of things.
10. pooked (Posts: 56; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
Terrible review with misleading info such as (faster processor?). ITS THE CPU (1Ghz Dual-Core), and an upped GPU. And the camera is hardly earth shattering since all other tablets have been doing 1080p for months and months now. Please re-review, lots of other stuff that is misleading.
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 10080; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
U don't need to do too much to upgrade a Bentley do u?
iPad is the Bentley, or phantom rolls of the tablet world. Stop hating.
70. pooked (Posts: 56; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
What you said makes no sense, so you would rather see tiny incremental updates to the same product then an entire better product. I can tell you bentley doesnt sell a 2012 model and then tells the people well the 2013 only has shinier rims and the interior dash board looks prettier. Are you serious?
21. ngo2dd (Posts: 775; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
You are pretty dumb, just because it is the same clock speed does not make it is the same as the normal A5
55. tmcr7 (Posts: 148; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
Yes you are right! It is NOT the normal A5 despite still being a dual-core processor. It is the A5X!!! They just added an X can't you see? You dumb!
71. pooked (Posts: 56; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
Ya its like when you buy a car and its the G37 and G37S, oh wait there is actually a difference there!
Ipad Processor A5
Dual-Core CPU Rated at 1Ghz
Dual-Core GPU PowerVR SGX543MP2
Ipad Processor A5X
Dual-Core CPU Rated at 1Ghz
Quad-Core GPU PowerVR SGX543MP4
Again as i stated before only difference in GPU, Processor still years behind todays standards and not 4x more powerful the Tegra3.
12. taz89 (Posts: 2008; Member since: 03 May 2011)
had a play with the new ipad and my thought is that if you not bothered about the high res screen then stickt to the ipad 2 as speed wise its the same...i will say though the screen on the new ipad is AMAZING....probably the best screen i have seen.
56. tmcr7 (Posts: 148; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
You should see the screen of the Galaxy Tab 7.7!
24. tedkord (Posts: 4265; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It's quadruple the iPad2 resolution, not double. Seriously, PA, you need to invest in writers who are knowledgeable in tech.
27. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Bet you failed maths at school.
1024 x 2 = 2048
768 x 2 = 1536
32. tedkord (Posts: 4265; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Resolution is the total number of pixels on the screen. They've doubled the number horizontally and vertically, which comes to 4 times the pixels. Try it yourself.
Better use a calculator, as this 7th grade math is clearly above you.
65. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Thanks you for correcting my understanding of what it is.
33. drtech (banned) (Posts: 135; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Typical fandroid making himself look like an idiot
48. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Sorry drtech are we stealing your stupidity spotlight?