T-Mobile G1 Review
0. phoneArena posted on 04 Nov 2008, 09:23
T-Mobile USA and HTC have brought the first Dream to reality and released the G1. As the first device running Android it has had lots of expectations heaped on it, too many most likely. Android is not about a device, but rather a mobile computing environment and more importantly a philosophy. Still, as the launch device first impressions are critical and the G1 has a lot to live up to...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. (unregistered) posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:55 0
This has gots to be the ugliest 3g phone for 2008
2. (unregistered) posted on 04 Nov 2008, 12:39 0
I think the word "ugly" is becoming redundant for the G1 already. I think anyone with eyes can see its not that attractive but the phone is a joy to actually "use". I want my women sexy i want my phone functional. Great review guys
14. (unregistered) posted on 06 Nov 2008, 23:41 0
whaT? I don't see the relationship between sexy women and a functional.
16. (unregistered) posted on 06 Nov 2008, 23:47 0
He means he prefers things to be practical. And yes, I also mean the women.
24. (unregistered) posted on 10 Nov 2008, 14:01 0
I mean I love sexy women and I love functional phones. I dont need my phone to be "sexy" as long as it does what it is supposed to do. I for one dont find the phone ugly but it wont win any beauty contests either.
3. (unregistered) posted on 04 Nov 2008, 15:37 0
In regards to the video player, you can make it play in landscape mode. The video player takes advantage of the accelerometer, if you rotate the phone it will rotate to landscape view.
8. PhoneArena Team posted on 05 Nov 2008, 08:28 0
Thank you! Not quite sure how we missed that, but we've updated the review accordingly!
4. Armo (unregistered) posted on 04 Nov 2008, 21:37 1
the arch-like slider is meant to keep the phone more sturdy.....and it worked. but i would never had said this but after reading this review u should rename ur website to iPhoneArena.com or HateG1Arena.com this phone is clearly a great phone. the cam isnt as bad as u made it to be. "Android is still immature". oh please! get over urself. android would get the stupid iPhone OS and still have room for Symbian you retard. i get u taking a FEW points off under corporate but 7!! r u kidding me!!! this deserves at least a 7 or 8. and saying "Until Android’s security is proven we have a feeling most will stay away" is the stupidest thing i have ever heard! thats why theres about half a million sales already if not more. this deserves a minimum of an overall 9.5 rating and definitely is an award winner. i cant believe i wasted my time reading this.
5. (unregistered) posted on 04 Nov 2008, 21:43 1
did you not read the entire first part of the review where they bashed apple? jesus, you people are retarded...
6. Armo (unregistered) posted on 04 Nov 2008, 22:49 0
u call that bashing? wat they said was that the iPhone was extroadinary but was close sourced unless hacked. and that the G1 was the opposite. why dont u try interpreting wat u read next time.
15. (unregistered) posted on 06 Nov 2008, 23:45 0
okay, we're sorry that the whole world doesn't like the G1 as much as you guys do. I apologize on everyone's behalf for not worshipping the phone and giving it a 10/10. Can you find it in your hearts to forgive us?
21. Armo (unregistered) posted on 07 Nov 2008, 16:24 0
i dont love the G1. in fact i dont plan on ever owning one. but its a great phone. and to ur comment, u say that the whole world doesnt like the G1. thats fair. but, the whole world, especially phonearena, loves the iphone, which is a piece of crap. that was fair too.
26. Rytr23 posted on 13 Nov 2008, 18:49 0
It is rev1 of an OS you moron.. of course it's not "mature". Are there thousands of apps for it you tool? A history of any sort? Stop with the stupid juice.. How is it a 7 or 8 when this phone CANNOT EVEN SYNC WITH EXCHANGE you f*@kwit? Is there a notes sync? VPN built in? Can my company put a policy on the device and wipe it if it gets lost or stolen? NO? THEN IT"S NOT READY FOR BUSINESS! I can;t believe I'm feeding an obvious troll... Anywho.. It seems pretty obvious you have very little idea about ...anything.
9. (unregistered) posted on 05 Nov 2008, 13:56 0
This phone is cheap looking and Android need at least 1 more year in development to be ready for prime time. I would definitely get an Android phone next year, but definitely not the G1.
25. (unregistered) posted on 10 Nov 2008, 14:04 0
This phone is not very photogenic. I promise if you actually get a chance to use one you will see that its not cheap looking at all. The phone has a nice weight to it and the sliding mechanism is very sturdy. The touchscreen responsiveness is in the same category as the iphone, no other phone comes close
10. kai (unregistered) posted on 05 Nov 2008, 19:58 0
want to see how Android store catch up app store. the stong thing about the iphone is the app store!
11. crd22 posted on 06 Nov 2008, 18:09 0
Personally, I think the G1 actually looks pretty cool (in black). It's pretty good phone too, but.... There's a few things they need to work out: the raised button area is sorta annoying when typing, no video recording (!!!!), absolutely zero camera settings, no onscreen keyboard (least of the problems though), the browser isn't that good (my opinion)-is there gonna be Opera Mobile?, and more widgets for the home pages. Overall, this is a very good phone.
13. Galen20K (unregistered) posted on 06 Nov 2008, 19:06 0
I own this phone and I am Absolutely Pleased with it on all levels including its Retro-Future style Design. Its just Amazing and Compliments Android Very Well. - D
17. (unregistered) posted on 06 Nov 2008, 23:47 0
I don't think that is going to be the future of the mobile phone design in this century
12. Galen20K (unregistered) posted on 06 Nov 2008, 19:05 0
I've read Several Times that the T-Mobile G1 in fact has a "GLASS" screen that was said to have been Confirmed by HTC itself. In your Review you had mentioned that it lacked that which it doesn't.
18. (unregistered) posted on 06 Nov 2008, 23:48 0
I guess the glass feels like plastic then.
19. (unregistered) posted on 07 Nov 2008, 00:09 0
ive felt it too, and it sure feels like plastic. theres definitely some drag to it
22. (unregistered) posted on 08 Nov 2008, 09:40 0
No Actually it doesnt feel Plasticy at all sorry
23. (unregistered) posted on 08 Nov 2008, 09:43 0
yea there's no drag at all I have no idea what those other two people were thinking, I'm guessing they don't actually own the phone and haven't spent nearly Enough time with it. Please know what you're talking about before you post, regardless if its Anonymous or not.
20. person (unregistered) posted on 07 Nov 2008, 06:15 0
the iphone 3g can be hacked. ive done it
27. Rytr23 posted on 13 Nov 2008, 18:52 0
Great Review. If T-mobile had a larger footprint I might consider picking one up.. Oh and if there was some other way to sync accounts.. I'm not quite ready to put all my faith in Google for storing my info..
28. NDPTAL85 (unregistered) posted on 14 Nov 2008, 21:48 0
Uh how did Apple forget to make the iPhone consumer friendly? And 'alienated a lot of would-be buyers in the process'? You mean the extremely small percentage of buyers who are geeky enough to even know what Linux is right? All those hundreds and hundreds of people right? The iPhone just passed the RAZR as the #1 most sold phone in the US. Somehow I think Apple got it right. Lets see if the G1... or any Android phone can match those sales numbers.
29. kool kidz (unregistered) posted on 09 Dec 2008, 14:02 0
the G1 is a great phone and is 1337 pwnage and owns ur faces off and you all wish you had one.
30. WCK 4 LiFe (unregistered) posted on 09 Dec 2008, 14:04 0
i agree with kool kidz, the iphone is nub compared to the G1. the G1 is so beastly that if it could piss then its pee would cure cancer.
31. ChArLiE iS NoOb @ GeArS (unregistered) posted on 09 Dec 2008, 14:05 0
32. BITCHEN PANCAKES (unregistered) posted on 09 Dec 2008, 14:09 0
hey NDPTAL85 your the dumbest bitch ever i hope you die in a car accident. the G1 is 50 Better than the iPhone and the iPhone is for noooooooooooooooooobss
33. andrew_espana posted on 13 Mar 2009, 10:46 0
there being no voice recorder sucks, i love messing with that
34. elsienovak posted on 09 Jun 2009, 05:12 0
Hi, i purchased G1 from eBay but it doenst work with O2 network provider. What can I do? Please help me! Thank you very much. Elsie
35. Farrizx posted on 13 Jun 2009, 21:12 0
with the cupcake update there is video player, camcorder or stereo Bluetooth now, so please do change :)