Sony Xperia sola Review
0. phoneArena 22 May 2012, 09:24 posted on
What we are reviewing today is the Sony Xperia sola, which comes with a 3.7-inch LCD display, 5-megapixel camera, NFC, “floating touch” technology (more on that later), and most importantly, a dual-core processor clocked at 1GHz: a specs sheet that has “mid-range” written all over it. Care to know how it performs in real life? Then read along...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Great phone --- but I will never buy any android device not running ICS again.
2. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I love this industrial understated design.
Awesome work by Sony.
And it's cheap, has two cores, a beautiful, subtle and classy UI, and works smoothly!
Suck that, android haters!
3. darktranquillity (Posts: 284; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Best part is 8gb internal memory with sd slot:-x
5. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
yep, it can have more memory than xperia s -.-
6. hunted (Posts: 403; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
Galaxy ace plus really cant be a better option than this, it looks big but not better than this Sola. Also the Galaxy Ace plus doesnt have front facing camera & HTC one v doesnt have memory card slot.
7. Jyakotu (Posts: 844; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I think docking points off an Android for not launching with ICS shouldn't be allowed. I'm sure when Sony was developing this phone, they did so with Gingerbread in mind. And also, if an update is coming in Summer, what's a couple months of waiting.? PA and other mobile reviewing websites should know that most new Android phones aren't going to be released with ICS. There are still manufacturers releasing phones on Froyo for goodness sakes.!
25. spancer_87 (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
I for one know exactly how unreliable Google Android upgrades can be when it comes down to the promises made for Xperia models of 2011 and up, so you should not be surprised if both summer and autumn passes by, and still no ICS upgrade is available.
8. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3615; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Dear Nick T...when you review a phone, check what you have written and go through it once again!
On page one i see an image of the phone showing the "front-facing camera" and look what you wrote on the CONS corner...number 2 to be exact!!!!
12. Nick_T (Posts: 169; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Sorry for the confusion. This is but a sensor, not a front-facing camera, although it really looks like it.
13. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3615; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Glad you acknowledged it!! :) Good on you mate!!
14. Birds (Posts: 1154; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Don't you be going off on Nick T. He knows what he talks about!!!!!! loljkjkj
9. p1natic (Posts: 7; Member since: 22 May 2012)
im really confused.
gsmarena specs shows that Sola doesnt have a secondary cam and yet here it says that it has.
Which is really it? its confusing.
10. hitechredneck (Posts: 88; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
That picture is deceiving according to Sony in uk it does not have a front facing camera. Check it out.http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/p
15. mike.messiah (Posts: 6; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
I had high expectations from the NovaThor chipset.. but sadly, its not as power efficient.. The 1320MaH battery puts it in the league of budget androids...and we all know how they fare in terms of stamina...Very dissapointed at the non removable/upgradable battery thats as low as the Galaxy Ace, and Galaxy Ace was very poor in battery department..
I have seen the Floating Touch gimmick is a pain to use...its already difficult clicking links on such small screens, imagine aiming ur finger above a link!! Saw the video by gsmarena...looks tedious and very time consuming. No wonder other manufacturers have ditched this technology
Better to opt for Galaxy Ace 2... bigger and removable/replacable battery,bigger screen(3.8inch),better snapshot & video capture quality,front camera...and has the same NovaThor chipset.
16. issy_i (Posts: 5; Member since: 27 May 2012)
This phone is great!
Do not think twice. Just get it!!! I almost bought htc one v, but this phone has better specs.
17. opopp (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 May 2012)
i have seen in many websites that sola's headphone sound is not very loud is it true and which one is better sola or u......i dont want to know about any other brand mobiles either.......
19. ABSHK (Posts: 5; Member since: 31 May 2012)
really cool phone
for more info http://www.technotrump.com/son
20. dlff168 (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I had a look & played with the HTC 1V & Sola. They are very similar in price, size & spec. IMHO, I find that the 1V is laggy probably due to the 1core pocessor. Built-in memory is only 4GB as compare to Sola 8GB. On the plus side, is a well built solid phone, the screen display is better than the Sola & comes out of the box with ICS. On the whole I would still prefer the Sola & I bought one.
Good mid-range decent size phone & gets its job done.
21. farzinphonearena (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
i heard it has benn designed just for microSIM cards, is that right??? i want to make sure of the authenticity of this claim. let me know thanks
23. soulannihilator (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
I'm torn between this phone and HTC One V. Sola obviously has better specs, but HTC One V seems to have a better camera with more features. ICS out of the box as well. Also has other features like Beats audio and has better battery life as well.
24. abhishek1993c (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
i wanna buy a phone .
budget around INR 20k
shud i consider it ????
memory matters to me. sec. camera doesn't matters and dual core is a must...
26. abhishek1993c (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
hey phone arena guys !!
i bought dis phone on 1st AUG
u shud make a correction
there is only 4 gb of user accessible internal memory .
and 2 gb for apps
27. abhishek1993c (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
and battery is of 2 days if u use above avg
28. suradipray (Posts: 2; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I had purchased Xperia sola on 27.07.2012 from mobile store. I have hardly used it because I had just inserted the sim on 05.08.2012. But already I am facing 2 big problems :
1. The leftmost letters of the qwerty keypad are not working most of the time.
2. Very very poor battery back up. I dont play games or listen to music till now, just surf the net for 30 mins to 1 hour a day. But even after charging fully the battery doesn't even last for a full day while I am also using the power saver mode to save battery.
I already contacted the sony customer care executive on 08.08.2012 and asked for a replacement. But he told me that it can be replaced only within 7 days from purchase date. He told me to do a factory reset but that didn't work too. Now I have to visit sony service center and the phone can only be repaired.
I am very very dissapointed with sony which I trusted blindly as I was super happy with the Bravia led and DSC HX 100v digicam which I have.
30. Seiei (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
didn't i see you commenting in gsm arena before ? with the same words
33. AdeelBaloch (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
I don't know if the problems you're are facing are genuine or not, but the phone works fine. The point that forced me to comment was your disapproval on Sola's good battery life. Dude, you're totally wrong. The cellphone can run for two days even if you use the internet for an hour or so everyday. With that, you can also listen to an hour of music, that too in each day. Note that apart from this, you can use the cell for texting and calls.
29. Arunkumar8791 (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
got it before a month nice to use.. speaker volume is low
32. fouadwagdy (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Dec 2012)
what about 2 smart tags ,and the Document viewer (Office 2007, Office 2003,pdf)?
35. Atheeq (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Very worst mobile,,,,
I purchase mobile on the month of february 26th I was used only 10 days aftr that I got problems continiousyly also every time I have to wait for giving and getting delivery in service center.
I have used only one month remaning 9 months my mobile was in service center.I have given for 5 times for same problem,
1, Three times software updated
2, Two times motherbord swaped (replaced)
3, Two times battery replaced
No proper response from any service center hope will display all details in your tools..
for me 6days loss of pay because of this. Not have free time to go any other new service center, Recently from 11th june onwords am not using this mobile facing lots of problem cont able to use,still my EMI has not yet closed.am the one in world without using mobile and paying EMI.
when ever I cal to sonycare they guys telling same contact service center that,s...
Can you please taken care my issues and replace my mobile ASAP.
I already talked with service center executive while I swaped mother board he said in future if u get same problem means will replace new mobile.
I am very very dissapointed with sony which I trusted blindly