Sony Xperia ion vs Samsung Galaxy S III
0. phoneArena 25 Jun 2012, 05:29 posted on
On one side of the field, we have the highly touted Samsung Galaxy S III, which has already garnered a lot of attention amongst the Android community. And on the other, the Sony Xperia ion is seeking to woo people with its attractive $99.99 on-contract pricing. Very similar in hardware department, it’s safe to say that they’re both top-shelf devices, but there can only be one left standing in this showdown...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Good comparative review, but I believe it would be fare to compare the ION to the SGS3 once it has ICS in it. I won't say the ION would be better by then but I believe it can atleast close the gap by then. . .
13. ajac09 (Posts: 1480; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
well yeah ICS changes the weight the screen size the camera and the buttons magically change into working awesome buttons!
3. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
The SGS3 is an amazing phone. The Sony one isn't bad if you are on a budget but if you want the best, look no further.
4. wendygarett (unregistered)
IDK... For some reason i prefer ion... Probably because of attractive price...
5. santaclaus (Posts: 52; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Proven: same camera sensor for SGS3, Ion, Iphone from the camera comparison
21. Atlas (Posts: 158; Member since: 15 Apr 2012)
That's because the i4S and the ion both use Sony cameras, plus they also helped with the GS3s camera as well
6. imran_khan0786 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
S3 made by a cheap plastic and we heared s3 is exploding and heating problem. My three friends lost there money on s3. Never ever go for s3 better to take oneX or ION. Samsung just making craze in the public. Here no one ready to go with s3.
Best of luck.
8. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Another ignorant retard who comes up with his invalid "cheap plastic" argument.
Lost their money? How? And how is the ION or the One X better? Have you even read their comparison articles?
10. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
No no no and no. Please shut up dude.
One story about some guys phone exploding when he was probably using a cheap unsafe charger and to avoid paying for it he lied. There's been several cases of Iphones exploding. Another is the plastics that the sgs3 is the most durable there is. It's the same plastic found on the one x, just glossy. Get a phone cover like you should anyway.
Heating problem? My phone is the coolest cell phone I have used and I mean that literally. Not once has it felt hot or even warm to the touch and I use it constantly. You are just going by stupid little reports you read about that happened to a couple people. Faulty devices are in every product there is.
7. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I found myself loving the GSIII's design.
17. droly23hp (Posts: 2; Member since: 08 Mar 2012)
im liking just the blue one though, it looks less plastic because of the brushed design.. the back of the white looks pure plastic..
19. Galen20K (Posts: 541; Member since: 26 Dec 2008)
Polycarbonate, 100 times stronger than regular plastic and heck of a lot more durable. I don't see this as a bad thing. Haters just love to embelish facts.
9. ryq24 (Posts: 681; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
after giving the ion a low score what hope does Ion have against s3. nada! zero! none! but in fairness, the verge also give a very low score for ion. i hope sony is reading all the reviews so they could learn something out of it!
12. BabyWade (Posts: 43; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
Personally I wouldn't compare the Xperia Ion (mid-range) to the SGS3 (high-end), but still a good comparison.
14. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 418; Member since: 04 May 2012)
They've been comparing the SGSIII to every new phone, when will it end? -_-
16. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
When some beats it, which won't happen anytime soon.
20. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Ray S. also comparing Samsung Galaxy S III with iPhone 4S...
15. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Honestly, the ion is a good release for Sony, while it may not compare to the gs111, its a quality stepping stone for Sony to work off of, let's face it, Sammy knows how to build monsters, give it time, and soon Sony will unleash high shelf monsters, that being said, the ion is still a great phone for those who want good quality on a small budget.
22. Martine (Posts: 102; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Title is very misleading. It is more like Sony Xperia Ion vs Samsung Galaxy SIII (US version)
24. grkumar4phonearena (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Very nice comarasion review on both phones. But, personally I prefer Sony phones only.
27. win.legacy (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
I have a samsung galaxy s3 and xperia ion...
but in some ways i like my xperia ion better.... i mean in many ways
28. X55526622233 (Posts: 17; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
I have a samsung galaxy s3, htc one X+, xperia ion, and xperia Z
what I can say is... s3 is better when it comes to games, xperia ion and Z are better in terms of camera, htc one X+ uhhhhmmmm... yeah...I don't know why I bought this s**t.