Sony Xperia Z1 Review
0. phoneArena 20 Sep 2013, 10:44 posted on
Sony introduced its Xperia Z flagship in the beginning of the year, and while the smartphone had a lot going for it, it was still somewhat rough around the edges. It had fancy front and back panels made of glass, but boring, rubbery sides; the screen was large and had a high resolution, but its gamma and viewing angles were lacking; the camera was 13 MP and featured the promising Exmor RS sensor, but the quality of the pictures was so-so.
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
99. reckless562 (Posts: 1139; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
OMG !!! really ppl??? like ur KINDERGARTEN teacher taught u, its whats INSIDE that counts......INSIDE!! you all must have massive concussions because ur brain is flush with your skulls. i rest my case (ironic, case.... lol back if u get that one)
104. maccess (Posts: 633; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
meh.. you just trying hard to convince me.. learn again okay?? don't embarrassed yourself.. big bezel means shock proof??? lol.. sony needs lots of space (bigger bezel than the xperia z) for the camera lens and the 3000mah battery and off course for water/dust proof.. there's nothing to do with shock proof..
112. Remmy (Posts: 56; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
the Z can withstand drops, but not entirely shockproof.
115. reckless562 (Posts: 1139; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
well @Remmy gets it !!!1 @maccess must still be suffering from his concusions, because he has no fluid between his brain (the inside of phone) and his skull (the housing of the phone), so his brain constantly hits with the skull w/out any deceleration.
136. monkeytown (Posts: 108; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
yeah...but who gives a fcuk bout water and dust proof?? it´s a one of a kind feature, but doesn´t matter in a single way :(
24. torgrim (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 May 2013)
The Z1 a good camera phone with lots of details and little noise???
Have a look at the PAs own camera comparison tool vs Iphone 5 and Samsung S4:
GSMArena.com sadly had the same conclusion about the Z1 camera...
This is disapointing Sony, I had hopes. But would be nice if you add the Superior Auto Mode in your camera comparison tool, as I think this mode gives images with less noise.
41. timaustin2000 (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Superior Auto and the 8MP pixel binning is where the camera shines. I have one now: the camera is very good.
90. rgxVOiD (Posts: 436; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
GSMarena said themselves that they have a pre-production unit
31. aditya.k (Posts: 489; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Sad to see Ray not using a different wallpaper even after a lot of request! :(
32. jellmoo (Posts: 725; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Much better review than we've seen in the past. Adding actual data rather than relying on pure opinion really helps the review. Two issues I still have though:
1) A Pro of "Amazing Camera" doesn't actually match the description. Saying that the camera has weak low light photos and sub-par video doesn't exactly evoke the notion of "Amazing camera".
2) The score still needs to be better tied in with the overall description and weighted better. A 9.2 is a great score, but there isn't a whole lot that differentiates why this phone gets a 9.2 whilst another a 9.1, or another a 9.4. It still looks like an arbitrary number at the end.
But still, this is a tremendous improvement over previous reviews. I hope that PA continues on the trend of offering better analytics and measurable data to go along with their reviews.
34. ghassangs7 (Posts: 9; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Finally 9.2/10 the first Xperia smartphone get higher than 8.7/10 good job Sony!
117. mansoor (Posts: 4; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
I think there's something wrong with Ray S.
35. _Bone_ (Posts: 2141; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Unimpressed. Too large for the screen size, too heavy, bad battery life (GSMA). Both the G2 and the iPhone5S (that's right) are such refined products with good efficiency, and they actually beat out the Z1 at it's own game, in the camera department. Not bad, but today, on September 20 it's not impressive either.
Can't wait from the NeG2us 5!
119. Taters (Posts: 3654; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
The 5s I currently have stutters more than the iphone 5 I currently have.
130. timaustin2000 (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
The G2 does not have a better camera than the Z1 and it's only available in an un-expandable 16gb version in the UK. I'd take the Z1 over the G2 any day,... as, indeed, I have.
37. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1606; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Drooling.... 0(O.O)0 b You get a thumbs up from me :D
44. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I think both GSMA and PA must update their reviews after the first firmware update of Z1.
Some important aspects look defective in these primary versions of phone.
48. TMach (Posts: 394; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Absolutely can't fault this phone, 24 hours later and I refuse to pick up my S4 GPE, it (S4) just feels cheap by comparison but keeping it for the pure Google experience!
50. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Sorry, your comment is not clear for me!
72. Commentator (Posts: 2557; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Translation: he loves how the phone feels, it feels way better than his Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition, but he keeps the S4 around because of the Google experience.
I too was confused until I realized what GPE meant. I was wondering how anyone could mistake a normal GS4 for having a pure Google experience.
107. TMach (Posts: 394; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Spot on with the interpretation, sorry if perhaps I did not make myself clear....the problem with acronyms....lol.
88. torgrim (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Have a look at PhoneArenas own camera comparison:
The Samsung S4 beats Sony Z1 by far...
Still PA says Z1 has an excellent camera? I dont get it? But I think the Superior Auto mode gived much better images for the Z1.
131. timaustin2000 (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Comparison charts only tell a very, very limited story - they're 2D, relatively low-light subjects. In real-life testing, the Z1 is clearly superior to the S4.
47. Ikechukwu (Posts: 149; Member since: 03 Oct 2011)
Wait, why the Brazil logo? I saw the same stuff on my Z ultra case and was thinking... maybe I got a free ticket to the world cup. IDK, maybe they're part of the sponspors? anyone? lol
51. sulre (Posts: 15; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
Yeah, they're the main sponsor of it. So it's just a promotion and in my opinion, u won't get a free ticket, sorry :D.
49. alaahershy (Posts: 34; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
Xperia z1 >>>> galaxy s4. , at least in material, not cheap plastic
59. maccess (Posts: 633; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
polycarbonate isn't cheap plastic.. please educate yourself first.. and not everyone in this planet earth prefer glass over plastic..
106. rgxVOiD (Posts: 436; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Yes you're right, polycarbonate is not a cheap plastic but i'll give prob for samsung to make it look cheap as possible, thin and shiny
Nokia knows how to make polycarbonate looks good, and apple for 5c
52. sulre (Posts: 15; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
Great review, PA and congrats to Sony. But i would love to see a more detailed batterry test.
I thought, Ray, that u would show me some samples using that Handheld twilight mode.
53. sniper1087 (Posts: 411; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
Does this phone support AT&T LTE network?
61. sniper1087 (Posts: 411; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
If you order from negrielectronics, do they send you that one?
63. dmn666 (Posts: 202; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
They will send the model you order. Just make sure it's a c6906 model. With that said, you'll have better luck getting it from Newegg. Negri usually gets the import models pretty quick. c6906 is a US model and Newegg usually stocks the US models as soon as Sony releases the product in the US. You'll also get US warranty through newegg.
68. sniper1087 (Posts: 411; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
so basically we have to wait until it releases to the US, because newegg doesnt have them yet.
60. Immolate (Posts: 292; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
How a phone without a removeable battery, big honking bezels, a good-but-not-great screen, mediocre call quality, a camera with sub-standard night and video performance and Android 4.2.2 can rate a 9.2 is a mystery to me. It looks like a nice phone, if you can get over the sharply rectangular style and the back glass that must be covered, and I'm sure lots of folks will be well-pleased with it, but when I see a 9+ phone, I expect to see something with next to no compromises or weaknesses. I suspect that someone let their subjective criteria factors bleed into the overall rating. Subjective factors should count for very little. That leads to anomalies like iPhones scoring 9+.
108. TMach (Posts: 394; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
*Sigh! People who rely on reviews but never actually bother to use the phone and form an opinion. I own this phone and in truth I can't say I have owned a better one and that is from someone who owns a Google Play Edition S4, has owned the HTC One and every iteration of the iPhone since the iP3G up to and including the ip5....passing on the iP5S as until the phone and UI undergo a major overhaul and re-think, it is not under consideration.......! Oh, talking about big honking bezels, relative to the size of the phone, the bezels on this are nothing compared to the iPhone's! See and hold the phone in the metal/glass and bezels are not an issue! Got it andabsolutely loving it, and personally, I would give it 9.5 as I don't think any phone is worth a 10.....!
120. Taters (Posts: 3654; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They had to because if it got another 8.7 they would get a flood of death threats from the extremely vocal Sony bunch. They can't handle the spam until PA hires their new staff.
73. Commentator (Posts: 2557; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Well maybe you should write reviews for PhoneArena then.
Given your profile, it appears that you're a paid Samsung subversive. You'd fit perfectly with the review team!
82. Trex95 (Posts: 572; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
It seems that LG G2 still the best choice of all 2013 Android flagship.
- Better screen
- Excellent camera with excellent OIS (OIS on G2 even better than Lumia 1020 pocket now review)
- Excellent battery life.
- Bigger screen with No bezels
- Cheaper than Xperia Z1, GS4, Note 3.
I love Sony's Xperia phones but honestly this time LG eats the cake with G2
98. pyradark (Posts: 788; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Yup but in this war!!! The better sold worldwide Wins!!!
113. anleoflippy (Posts: 337; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Not all country is like this.
Here in Malaysia, the LG G2, Note 3 and the GS4 (LTE) is more expensive than Sony.
86. TMach (Posts: 394; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
89. torgrim (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 May 2013)
If you want an Android camera phone, this says it all:
How can Sony Z1 be so much worse than Samsung S4 and IPhone 5?
91. Guffy (Posts: 2; Member since: 21 Sep 2013)
Score is good but is it enough for Z1!!!!
one has to read review of both LG G2 & Z1 many glaring factors r there
Z1 over G2
Design & feel absolutely stunning a big ++
Dust and water proof along with underwater photography a big +++
Expandable memory +(actually it's a big _ _ _ for G2 considering it records 1080p @ 60fps)
better still camera +
Better web browser +
Display quality it performs better than G2 +
better call quality +
finally LG G2 over Z1
better viewing angle +
slightly better benchmarks +
better video recording 1080p @ 60 fps +
lesser bezels than Z1 +
Better speaker +
Clearly Z1 should have got more than G2
Also reviewer should keep in mind that due to extra sealing(for water proof) it's size and speakers gets adversely affected and no other smartphone company is able to come up with a complete waterproof smartphone yet
Sony was not popular smartphone maker
but this myth is just about to be busted
you tube Z1 popularity has overshadows even note 3 by huge numbers
102. Trex95 (Posts: 572; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
YouTube Z1 ads reach around 6 million nick to nick with IPhone 5s ads. I played with the G2 in store compare it to Z1 G2 it's slim with wide screen and better build quality than SGS4.
103. Trex95 (Posts: 572; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
You missed something battery life in G2 it's even better than SGS4 and IPhone 5s and for sure better than Z1.
121. Taters (Posts: 3654; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
If all those things were true and they all carried the same weight, then you might have a really weak point. Unfortunately though, they are not true and they don't carry nearly the same weight.
In the top 5 areas: ergonomics, compactness(this is a mobile phone), display, battery life, and performance; the G2 is head and shoulders above the Z1.
You can make all the bullet points you want and champion waterproofing as a heavy weight feature all you want but the G2 is still much much better.
105. TMach (Posts: 394; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
The same GSMArena that claims the phone does not come with headsets in the box? And also presumably did not use a final retail version for its review? I am not sure that because GSMA says it, that makes it true. Go read the comments as the review bears no resemblance to the retail units people have experienced. I have a white version and I truly think it is the most amazing phone I have used to date and in that statement, I include several iterations of the iPhone up to and including iP5, S4, Xperia Z and the HTC One!
Then again, of course, each to their own........!
111. Taters (Posts: 3654; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
9.2 is really REALLY high for a phone with two massive deal breakers. Huge size and poor viewing angles.
That Yuda Nemesis Sony lover must be crying himself to sleep that the LG G2 and GS4 scored higher like I said that they would. The gsmarena review wasn't exactly flattering either. Good times!
122. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Hahaha... i don’t think anybody who use 5”+ phones will have problem with Xperia Z1 size and about viewing angles you can check here
Why i need to cry??? just because some so called tech site and i think gsmarena and some other tech site has lost its credibility because they using pre production units for their reviews.
116. mobilespecs.pk (banned) (Posts: 45; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
I love this Sony Xperia Z1. If any Pakistani is looking for the Sony Xperia Z1 price in pakistan. Here it ishttp://goo.gl/bYof6D
118. OmkarP (Posts: 2; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
what about heating? does the Z1 warm up too quickly even after normal use? gaming is understood, which anyways I wont be doing much. As good as a looker it is, I am looking for similar flawless aspect in terms of daily usage, which is browsing, messaging, mailing, photography, music, atleast long hours of that. So, getting warm over not so heavy usages would be a deterrent. please can you verify?
127. anleoflippy (Posts: 337; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
The Z1 does not heat up in normal the usage unlike the Z.