Sony Xperia Z Ultra vs Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3
Both handsets have 8 MP cameras on the back, but the one on the Z Ultra lacks an LED flash companion. We get plenty of scene and shooting modes in the camera apps, plus a number of color effects thrown in. Sony lets you shoot both stills and videos in HDR mode, and offers much faster camera app startup and shot-to-shot times, especially for HDR photos, compared to Samsung's phone.
Both devices offer a slightly more saturated look than the scene gives in reality, but luckily we didn't spot any glaring exposure or white balance issues. Detail captured is in the normal range for 8 MP shooters..
Noise creeps up significantly more in low-light situations when you are shooting with the Z Ultra than the results from the Mega 6.3, and the lack of LED flash makes matters even worse when it is dark around.
More popular slideshows
Video is captured with fluid 30 fps in 1080p resolution from the phones, but the Z Ultra has an added advantage here, sporting a superior HDR mode, which evens out the footage dynamic range, and should be left on at all times.
More popular slideshows
1. Sony Xperia Z Ultra Sample Video
2. Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Sample Video
3. Sony Xperia Z Ultra Indoor Sample Video
4. Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Indoor Sample Video
Rich image editing options can be found built into the grid-style gallery apps on both handsets, and it is pretty handy to work on such large screen canvass. Z Ultra offers the ability to outline for cropping, to annotate and shoot an image via email, all without letting go of a regular pen or pencil.
The music apps offer a number of equalizer presets and sound modes, but the phones sport pretty average loudspeakers, which are strong enough, but not that adamant on quality sound output, no matter which sound enhancement you apply.
Watching videos is what such large handsets are best at, compared to other phones, simply on account of their screen sizes. Both phones support all major video formats out of the box, up to 1080p resolution. On the Xperia Z Ultra, however, such footage will be shown in its beautiful native resolution, plus the superior contrast and antireflectance coating make viewing much better indoors and out, compared to the Mega 6.3.
1. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5464; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I would choose Sony Xperia Z Ultra.
13. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
For productivity and multimedia entertainment i would chose N72 over ZU, 6.3, G Pro, Note 2/3 or even HTC MAX.
29. Kevinphantom (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Jun 2013)
I have Battery life issue in my xperia z ultra it goes from % 100 to 0 by 1 hour of using
34. pyradark (Posts: 741; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
We have here what we call warranty
And we also have what we call personal care!!
2. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5075; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sony Xperia Z Ultra all the way!
4. Finest (Posts: 76; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
lol this is a mismatch, mega shall never be compared to the z ultra ZU is too good for the mega
5. dipereira0123 (Posts: 17; Member since: 26 Jul 2011)
honestly, sony Xperia UI sucks =/ Sony Xperia tablet Z is the best tablet, indeed, about phablets galaxy note is the king, i have the note 10.1(tablet and xperia ZQ too), the pen makes diference im many situations like wearing gloves in a cold winter, more precision for old people like my mon/dad, and so on...
6. Finest (Posts: 76; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
apparently you can use any kinds of pen on ZU unlike note you need the S pen
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7450; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You kind of missed the point of his comment. Sony's UI sucks.
30. GTR722 (Posts: 222; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
So you love the child made UI of samsung ??
16. Jason2k13 (Posts: 627; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
the loud speaker on Z tablet was awful, one reason i did not buy it.
7. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1132; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
They're both incomparable, the Z Ultra embarrasses the Mega 6.3 on every level!
8. Shatter (Posts: 1973; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Mega will have better battery life, get updates faster and is a lot cheaper, thats it.
The only things comparable on these 2 phones is the size, the Xperia destroys it in almost everything.
12. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Faster updates??? open your eyes its not SE anymore, and for battery life lets wait GSMARENA battery test
14. pwnarena (Posts: 827; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
being 30% cheaper is not a lot cheaper considering the specs. the mega does not even come close to being half the device that the xz ultra is.
this is clearly a mismatch. the comparison stops in the display size.
17. skyline88 (Posts: 287; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
galaxy mega 6.3 16gb LTE can be had for 400 USD in my region, and ZU (without LTE) is selling at 640 USD here. mega is having a much better battery life, much slimmer bezel and better camera with LED flash. "does not even come close to being half?" LOL
24. pwnarena (Posts: 827; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
smaller bezels? smaller overall size?
AFAIK, phablets bigger than the size of mega can't be used one-handed so from that size up to the 7-incher phablet, it really does not matter. they're all not pocketable and cannot be comfortably used one-handed.
forgive my inaccuracy in estimating things but just consider this: i'd say xperia z is not half the smartphone that galaxy s4 is. i'm just completely disappointed with xz. similarly, i'd say that galaxy mega is still not half the device that xz ultra is.
28. gx3kgx3k (Posts: 5; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Here in the UK you can get the Mega 6.3 for £330 and the Xperia ZU for £640. I don't think the Xperia ZU is worth the extra £310 without the LTE, flash, and huge bezels.
9. tiara6918 (Posts: 1329; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
If you want something cheaper go for the galaxy mega 6.3. But if you don't mind the price, it's the z ultra all the way
11. SonyPS4 (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Why Z Ultra more music playback than Galaxy Megadespite smaller battery ? Did Sony use more power efficient music apps than Samsung ?
15. GTR722 (Posts: 222; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
Dams that Mega looks so cheap next to the ZU...like a toy phone or something.
18. skyline88 (Posts: 287; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
the ZU looks like designer forgotten to get rid of bezel during design process, almost like an iJunk
26. pwnarena (Posts: 827; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
but did you consider that even with the smallest of bezels, a display that size ends up not being pocketable and comfortable to use one-handed? doesn't really make any difference as far as i'm concerned. they're just small tablets with phone capabilities. dimensions no longer matter after having a 6" display. even without any bezel, a 6-inch display is already too big to be called a phone.
31. pyradark (Posts: 741; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Plus small bezel could end up 9mm thick same as ZL, so im GO with huge bezel for the slimmest phablet of all
19. jaisix (Posts: 13; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Lol you are comparing Lamborghini with a honda city
20. jaisix (Posts: 13; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
You cant show that plastic s**t in front of gorgeous zu
21. isprobi (Posts: 191; Member since: 30 May 2011)
Specs wise there is no doubt that Xperia ZU wins. But a big problem for me is the higher resolution of the ZU. It makes text and icons small. Which is a big problem for people like me that do not have perfect vision. And the accessibility options of Android do not seem to help much. So far the best platform for peoplelike me is BB10. When you turn on accessibility mode you can pinch and zoom everywhere in the OS and all applications. Plus BB10 lets you choose a font size that applies to most OS menues and built in apps.
32. pyradark (Posts: 741; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
By a BB, to help them sales up, Like what
All reviewer say, ZU is not for everyone phone, there are a lot of choices, specially the upcoming honami and mini!!!
Despite my small hand, im really go with Z Ultra
25. ryq24 (Posts: 470; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
First comparison between Sony and Samsung in which sony wins!
27. gx3kgx3k (Posts: 5; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
What do people expect? The Xperia ZU is almost double the price of the Mega 6.3 and is in a different category (high end vs mid range).
33. gigaraga (Posts: 510; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
This is by far no comparison, the Mega 6.3 is obviously better than the ZU~
35. sniperdroid (Posts: 110; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Just 30% cheaper?!! 30% is a lot and I'm guessing for most people this won't be their main phone obviously because of the size. For me price would be the deciding factor as I wouldn't be using it as much as my S4 but rather for meetings, movies and games. The ZU is a beast and I do like the premium finish, but for a second phone it's way to expensive. :)
36. a.j.batiste87 (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
It has to be the Sony. There are a whole host of reasons why I wouldn't have a Mega 6.3, but on purely aesthetic terms the thing that puts me off most is that plastic-y outer casing. The Xperia just seems far classier.
37. SonyXperiaFan (unregistered)
Sony Xperia Z Ultra,the best phablet right now.
40. caleybrilane (Posts: 7; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
My Choice is Water proof phone "Sony Xperia Z Ultra"
41. BL3ND (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Aug 2013)
I would choose nothing, because when I push xperia z ultra or galaxy mega 6.3 in my pocket .... you know what I mean... Hoo device is more than 5.5 inch is not for me. I have S2 and I`am very glad from this Device. AND I HOPE SOОN TO GET THE UPDATE 4.2.2 !