Sony Xperia Z Review
0. phoneArena 13 Feb 2013, 10:56 posted on
A new flagship model, a new Xperia phone is here to try and overpower the dominant species. Is that even possible? Why, we say nothing is impossible! Ladies and gents, we're giving you the Sony Xperia Z!
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
140. Taters (Posts: 6327; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Um 8 months is a long time. Of course phones released 8 months ago will have less competition and get higher ratings than a phone released now when the competition is quite fierce.
61. giri555 (Posts: 111; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
Xperia Z is far far superior to S3..agreed. s3 feels cheap, it has crappy amoled, pentile display, with around 320 or something ppi which is no match to xperia z.
91. maccess (Posts: 734; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
Sorry dude.. smartphone isn't just about feels and looks..
125. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
This phone is over 2x the power of the S3 with a 1080p screen, it is better in looks, feels, performance, OS, battery life and much more. The S3 is old tech, I don't know why it is so highly liked still you can get a nexus 4 for $200 cheaper unlocked that is much better.
133. maccess (Posts: 734; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
then why you guys keep comparing this phone to the s3?? why dont you just compare this one with htc DNA or even oppo 5?? you have to remember to that the s3 is a 9 months old phone.. and one more think my friend not everyone in this world can get the nexus 4 that cheap.. just like me here in australia... it will cost arround $500-$600.. and i prefer the s3 removable battery and micro sd slot.. and honestly i do like super amoled screen than lcd one... sorry but it's just me..
37. tmcblog (Posts: 19; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
This phone will be perfect if it uses IPS or OLED display
296. kaldorei (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Are you kidding? TFT is outdated?
You should understand what does TFT stand for and its real meaning. The displays, which have IPS or even Amoled panels, also have the TFT layer.
And some source state that Sony use Japan Display's IPS panel, which ony have view angle >160degree. ANW, Sony had never disclosed the panel type of any Xperia.
45. danielxxi (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
In techgoondu review, they tell us xperia z produces warm and saturated colours camera, and phonearena said it has produces cold colour..
In eprice.com said, xperia z produces decent low light performance and HDR video, and phonearena just said "nothing to write home"
In GSMarena, xperia z has very bright and vivid colour display, and in phonearena said the colour washed out (‾˛‾")ƪ
168. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
yeah, this review has no value.
this is a biased site while comparing their reviews with those of others like GSMarena.
182. bipinm (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
They are either biased or they still dont know to make a decent review... Its real shame...
PA, u missed many key features in this phone...
239. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
low light performance compared to Lumia 920? what did you smoke dude?????
46. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
8.5? lol S3 got 9.3 PA rating, which is 9 months old....
51. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
why thumbs down to this comment??? i just told the truth.... shame on who ever did that!
110. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
ratings are determined by it's quality and value AT THE TIME.
126. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
9 months later and its packing much more powerful hardware. The S3 is crap compared to the Xperia Z. If you want a more comparable phone you need to look into rumored/phones released in the past 3 months.
161. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
xD why are you telling me this like i didn't JUST say that?
47. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
design of Z is more like sexy-yet-classy...
49. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
nice photos PA we got it u have a Canon camera... nice focus... lol
53. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Why am I even reading PA reviews?
Theyre like - Sony Xperia Z doesn't have the best camera in the universe! Omg!
Let's make that into a flaw and cut a whole point there
58. giri555 (Posts: 111; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
exactly, what was their point? Very casually, immaturely done review...PA needs to improve its quality of reviews..
54. giri555 (Posts: 111; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
poor review, it seems to be a rushed effort. Gsmarena gives more details and insights in its reviews...
55. hawkar1988 (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
oh come on iphone is piece of garbage and its gets 9
127. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
I've been to the Apple factory, they literally go the the landfill outback and make iphones out of the garbage they find.
60. Guarulhos (Posts: 39; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Disappointing Camera... Sony Fail Again !
Nokia Lumia 1001, Nokia Lumia 920 PureView LITE And Nokia 808 PureView PRO Wins !
Flawless Victory !!!
297. kaldorei (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
But, WP8 is a looser, Failure in the specification of some very basic functions for smartphone, such as pdf support, attached mail support, ...etc...
So a good camera cannot save Nokia, after all.
I think Sony is right when change from MS Windows Mobile platform to the Android. So that, they can maximum customize the OS as their idea.
Also for that reason a Xperia Nexus is really hard to appear.
63. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Here, learn how to be objective, PA:
66. Kalevro (Posts: 56; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
I don't know why PhoneArena hates Sony. They just can't let go of the camera. It's better than this generation smartphones, it will be better than 2013 generation smartphones. It isn't a camera, soo why bother and say it is the best phone camera.
68. danielxxi (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Stuff.tv give us more objective review, forget about this iphonearena website, they just hates sony ┌П┐(-`O´-)┌П┐
286. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1864; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Thew funny thing is, I'm a biggest phone fan of Sony, and I like this review site.
70. scsa852k (Posts: 329; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Are they just going to be selling unlocked versions in US?
How the heck can they even compete if that's their approach?
84. siluro (Posts: 46; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Great job Phone Arena.
I am reading a ton of complaints about your review here, but I think you judged it very well.
To all those that are complaining keep in mind this is likely a $700-800 device. The Galaxy S3 has been on the market for nearly a year and raised the bar tremendously when it came to its competitors. But where Sony stands right they, they are months behind HTC's DNA for it's display and the really hyped up 13mp camera failed to live up to its expectations and lags behind products that have been on the market for some time (Nokia Lumia 920, Apple Iphone) which is simply unacceptable for such a device that is suppose to represent Sony's flagship.
One thing (and please correct me if I missed it) but is the Xperia Z using gorilla glass or did they move onto Dragontail? I would like to know if you feel that may be a better quality and scratch resistant glass vs Gorilla Glass 2.
To Phone Arena, can you please do comparisons, specifically with the Oppo Find 5 and Galaxy S3. I would really love to see those!
96. danielxxi (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Sorry? Comparison with ip5? Before this review you can googling any of those camera comparison with ip5 and sony looks better, but how can PA reviewed this phone such like is this the worst phone camera and screen than they've ever reviewed,, cmon, wakeup dude.. Maybe the worst of sony is the only viewing angles, and its don't have any matter for me, perhaps, but idk about others
128. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The S3 is $550 unlocked new, this phone will be $650 unlocked. For $100 more this phone is a damn good deal compared to the S3.
98. trainer1972 (Posts: 3; Member since: 11 Dec 2010)
Like was this guy asleep, stoned or on meds when this review was done?
100. danielxxi (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Maybe he's just dying, ugly, and dead, and jealous ofcourse
99. danielxxi (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Godd, take my money please for this sexy phone (•˘з˘•)
101. gescalona (Posts: 9; Member since: 04 Apr 2011)
ok Ray S. are you telling me that the Sony Xperia Z is just a bit better than the HTC Desire C, and worse than the Samsung Galaxy S III mini, really? dude, what's wrong with you?
Search Ray S. reviews HTC Desire C & Samsung Galaxy S III mini
129. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
PA is biased, every other site = good reviews.
201. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
those rating are reserved for the specific range of a phone, XZ rated 8.5 for flagships, HTC desire C and s3 mini are on the other side of range
252. technous (Posts: 4; Member since: 14 Feb 2013)
you know why.., Sony Corporate Comms / marketing did not give or enough give "something" to phonearena.. very simple answer :P
253. technous (Posts: 4; Member since: 14 Feb 2013)
and.. another thing that you can pick up from here, stay away from PhoneArena.. because they are not good reviewer, tends to be biased..
Ask yourself, how come other reviewers gave a high score to Zperia Z compare to Samsung, Nokia or Iphone (for current release), while Phonearena gave the otherway around..?
103. danielxxi (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
This proves xperia z has a great camera
105. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
For once pa disnt bad mouth sony phone this time. This is still my top pick for 2013. Lovely design slimmest phone too date rugged proof phone all in the right places
107. SiyabongaMoss (Posts: 12; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
How can such a great phone get such a low rating you guys are being unreasonable just because of subpar camera performance , I want this phone so bad and you guys just underate it. Its like you forgetting the great display, water resistance , glass construction , quad core cpu and jelly bean speed...
111. danielxxi (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Htc one x and sony xperia z is just only victim of biased review, poor for them
131. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The HTC one x would have stomped the S3 if sense wasn't so heavy and it had removeable battery/micro sd. The no micro sd broke the deal for me, same for all of HTC's other phones.
142. Taters (Posts: 6327; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
A lot of butt hurt Sony fans here. The GS3 was the best phone released at the time and it lived up to expectations. The Xperia Z is the first into the 2013 ring which will be followed by the GS4, M7, and whatever else comes out in 2013 and they expected more than Nexus 4 internals with worse software. Not that hard to understand why the GS3 was rated higher people. Lol
143. thunderising (Posts: 232; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
Incomplete review. And you guys don't even TEST the battery. WTH!
144. luabin (Posts: 35; Member since: 29 Jul 2012)
now its time for nokia lumia 920 vs sony xperia z camera comparison!
147. jlp34876 (Posts: 80; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
Too much joy reading all those comments.
PA just killed all the hype of this phone.
149. pyradark (Posts: 820; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Hahaha!! I always expect low score from phonearena for sony, too bad scores doesnt put my money back to my pocket as a lot of sites is praising this phone.
150. aldevar (Posts: 2; Member since: 09 Nov 2012)
no matter what other people will say, my choice will be SGS4 or xperia ZL. my deciding factor will be the price. i hope PA will also make a review of xperia ZL