Sony Xperia SP Review
0. phoneArena 01 May 2013, 09:07 posted on
The selection of mid-range Android smartphones is vast, which makes picking the best model a delicate task. Well, Sony wants to spare you the effort of browsing through all available options by introducing a compromise-free handset that seems to have it all. Ladies and gents, we give you the Sony Xperia SP – a smartphone powered by a fast, dual-core processor, graced by a large, HD screen, and equipped with a fancy 8-megapixel camera. Seems awesome, doesn't it?
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. flexile (Posts: 78; Member since: 03 Jun 2012)
It was a good review, but, 8/10? ... .__.
I really like this phone, my next phone will either be this, or the Xperia ZL.
3. Captain_Doug (Posts: 997; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Check out the ZR.http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_x
It's a higher end version of the SP. Same 4.6" screen but iwht a quad core processor, 2GB of ram, 13mp camera and water/dust resistance.
6. flexile (Posts: 78; Member since: 03 Jun 2012)
I didn't know about that one, I will have to check it when it's announced. I just hope it is a compact phone, since that's why the ZL seems so appealing to me. I really like the SP since it keeps the transparent bar from my previous Xperia P.
17. Captain_Doug (Posts: 997; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I'm not sold on the light bar as it seems to add a bit of size. It looks great though. I'm hoping the image on that page is what the ZR looks like after all. Would love the compact size and upgrade it specs.
42. saket.shrivastava (Posts: 55; Member since: 02 Apr 2012)
and why is there a removable back if battery is not accesible????? why not just put a flap like one s/x/v
15. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3865; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
The ZR does look nice with the screen taking the overall front space, but i don't think it'll come cheap.
This here, the SP, i'm falling in love...i'm really interested with this one. The pros out-weigh the cons. Agreed that the camera isn't the best out there but it gets the job done...for the blurred, over-saturated, washed etc pictures, i have photoshop, so no worries. Besides that, i'm all for this phone...the screen size is just perfect for me.
61. ported (Posts: 2; Member since: 23 Jan 2015)
this phone is complete garbage. The wifi signal drops constantly even when within 5 feet of the wifi router. I would rather cut my own throat than own another of these POS's. Free would be thousands too expensive.
2. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 540; Member since: 07 May 2012)
would love to get the xperia l,ain't got no money right now. xperia sp is an awesome phone,really like sony's designs
4. istitch (Posts: 181; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
lumia 720 got 9, and xperia sp gets 8? well done, PA, well done!
23. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
they can do that by having more apps
-Lumia 820 user
31. Dimitru (Posts: 40; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
even the Xperia ZL also only got 8 -____- that one thumb down is PA !! he doesnt like ur comment haha
8. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Mid range smartphone from Sony with the Quality and performance of High end devices.
But Sony still have the same problem with Camera, just hope Sony can fix that problem soon...
9. CaptainXperia (Posts: 15; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
why phonearena why ????....y do u become a miser when rating SONY phones????
just wanna ask for the last time... and i know how u'll respond...."is it intentional" ???
13. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
How is giving this phone an 8 miserly? This phone is sporting specs and performance of a late-2012 flagship that would've received ~8.5. It's the middle of 2013, of course the score is going to drop a bit.
20. Xenaz (Posts: 144; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
Go check on the Xperia ZL review by the same reviewer Nick.T.....
It come out with a joke cons for me.
30. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Yeah I read that review, and both the pros and the cons are jokes.
29. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Someone's posting really vague comments.
10. imparanoic (Posts: 88; Member since: 15 Oct 2012)
and an expensive ( literally same guts as s advance ) s3 mini gets 8.9, talk about super bias
11. lovefist (unregistered)
c'mon PA! 2 points off just for the camera? the pros outweigh the cons, man.
12. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
And the numbers reflect this. If a 5 is average, then an 8 reflects a phone that is far more pro than con.
53. Sammy141 (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Aug 2013)
compared to other high end devices,maybe.But compared to other mid-range devices,this whitewashes them so i think it at least deserves a 8.5 or 9
14. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 590; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
I love the way the SP produces punchy colors but sometimes there are oversaturated ones. Image detail is only visible at zooming a photo but not a big deal. I guess this phone should have at least gets an 8.5-9.
18. Rajan_sharma (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 May 2013)
Phonearena is really a good blog on gadgets.......