Sony Xperia SL ReviewSony Xperia SL 7
One of the camera advantages of the Xperia SL is how quickly it can be accessed. The Quick Launch mode is on by default - the phone goes from a locked state with the screen off to taking a picture in a little over a second, claims Sony, and it is indeed so. Well, maybe two seconds if it is darker, as the camera takes more time to focus.
The camera interface is the same rich in camera functions Timescape UI as in the other Xperias, down to the 3D Sweep Panorama mode, whose results can only be watched on Sony's 3D HDTVs via the HDMI port.
There is also a 3D Sweep Multi Angle panorama mode now, taken directly from the Sony Cybershot camera series, which has a narrower frame range, but can be previewed directly on the phone by tilting the screen left and right for a nice stereoscopic effect
Moreover, the pictures themselves are good as well - sharp, with a very good amount of detail, and a bit oversaturated out of the box, like with most Sony handsets. We have a 12MP camera here, which seems to capture slightly more detail than the typical 8MP ones on current flagships, but there are slight white balance issues at times, casting yellowish hue over the picture. Indoors there was quite a lot of noise visible in the frame, even at strong lighting, but pictures turned out fairly sharp with slight yellowish overcast when the lights dimmed down.
1080p video capture is very smooth with 30fps average, and the videos exhibit a lot of detail, jolly colors and clear sound. Indoor video was also very good, with plenty of sharp detail and fluid 30fps, but also a tad more noise than usual.
Sony Xperia SL Sample Video:
Sony Xperia SL Indoor Sample Video:
The WALKMAN-branded music player has a more minimalistic interface now, with “tiles” under the My Music tab that categorize your songs by artists, albums, playlists and so on. There is a “Sense Me” category that can pick tracks based on your mood, and the Music widget appears on the lock screen so you can control your playback faster from there.
We report with delight that the powerful loudspeaker we are accustomed to in most Xperias is here - it is strong, clean and doesn’t sound tinny like most smartphone loudspeakers.
The phone played all MPEG-4, and even DivX/Xvid files we threw at it out of the box, up to 1080p definition, but the default video player is pretty bland - no loop function, subtitle support, battery life indicator, or any other additional eye-candy for that matter, only basic playback and screen settings.
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
Lets make this phones to James bond's girl :p
2. shandesilva (Posts: 79; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
surely this deserves more than 7!!....PA has been bought by apple or what?? this is ridiculous...so much for a fair review.
6. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I think they got lost in the alphabet jungle of Sony.. t,j,s,sl,tx,p,u,v ~
10. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Actually no 7 is perhaps right
1. The best display in the market.
2. A very good camera.
3. Beautiful design.
4. Andorid ICS
1. 18 month old processor which when combined with Sony's custom UI makes for a horrible experience. You will need to root and install an AOSP build to bring it to usable.
2. Made of plastic... so build quality is not great.
3. Non-replaceable battery + no sd card slot...
26. spikie (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Dec 2012)
don't iphones have Non-replaceable battery + no sd card slot...
11. jan25 (Posts: 469; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
4.3, S3 chipset, abysmal viewing angles and still on ICS. 7 is about right. i don't know why would someone not consider the G Nexus or the HTC One S over this.
18. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
i dont know about the garbage nexus but maybe the one s for sure lolz
22. ilriz08 (Posts: 9; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
dude the only reason the nexus is more powerful in performance than the SL is because it offers updates straight from google. but the nexus has only 1 Ghz single-core processor
23. ilriz08 (Posts: 9; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
oops sorry wrong info it's dual 1.2 ghz as for sl's dual 1.7
3. brock8687 (Posts: 10; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
deserves a better rating thats for sure.... for what I have experienced, Sony phones are one of the most stable androids out there...... pity their marketing division sucks....
19. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
7.5 - 8 at the most i can understand this coming from PA....... i guess knowing that they are usually wayy off its "ok"...............long as they dont try and give the TX and V something like this im good
5. ryq24 (Posts: 677; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
another sony phone failing to pass the 4 stars mark.
7. camohan (Posts: 13; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
"In that sub-$450 price range you can't find many phones with the Xperia SL specs, so Sony is doing the right thing to attract customer attention towards what would otherwise be considered a lame upgrade." Than too just 7....not done!!!
20. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
dude i love sony but with 450 dollars you can get a One X, One S, an Evo 4g lte or if you're a tablet guy then you can get two nexuses with that kind of money............on ebay
8. kanagadeepan (Posts: 886; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Let us hope the upcoming Nexus from SONY will get more than four stars (out of five)... SONY please bring an android phone with Xenon flash... There is very less competition for great camera phones in whole of the Android world...
9. oktopod3 (Posts: 4; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
i like the XS very much, but this pink one makes me wanna puke.
12. ruchi (Posts: 8; Member since: 17 Apr 2012)
It is so much better than even galaxy s2. The display quality is amazing. It has 720p screen resolution. It's CPU is also faster than samsung galaxy s2. See the main three points here:
13. joaolx (Posts: 364; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Those negatives points make this phone a 7? What the hell?
17. Zenith_95 (Posts: 2; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Absolutely Agreed, and his Accent seriously P*ssed me off, seriously please, Change a reviewer like John V or someone else
15. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3578; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Why is Sony making all it's Xperia phones look so much alike?
People are going to have a hard time figuring out which is which! Agree that it's a beautiful line, but still it don't feel so right.
16. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Do these "star" ratings really matter when the "bias" is so evident ?
24. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
that thing looks horrible in pink.
25. jenna_23 (Posts: 145; Member since: 02 Apr 2010)
I just ordered mine black of course no pink for this girl lol ;)
28. umarfarooqkhan (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Just bought SL and I MUST SAY .... AWESOME CELL PHONE.
1. Outstandingly attractive , I hear ppl saying check out the cell it so expensive you know
2. Super camera , but you need to know how to use the features apart from selecting the AUTO scene , if you can set your own req by changing the snap feature it can give you more then excellent results.
3. SOLID body
4. 32 GB is more then ENOUGH , so stop winning if it does not have an external SD card, i mean who needs more then THAT..lol
5. Great hands free which lots of Manufacturers like SAMSUNG Iphone SUCK at , come one you buy a 4-5 grand cell phone and you get those lame ass hands free ??
6. HD dsiplay
7. Perfect Video recording
8. Super Fast
1. Viewing angle is not that great
2. Battery not that good
One thing I love after buying a Sony is not everyone has it so you stand out in the crowd with your device and make other jealous, I dont know why ppl dont like the invisible strip, to me that was the main reason for buying SL, it makes it very Unique.
30. Blacklisted (unregistered)
hey :) can you answer my question ....can we change the color of the led lights in the transparent bars like the other xperia S , U
32. umarfarooqkhan (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Nopes I dont believe it can, Maybe if you install a custom ROM then it would be possible
29. Blacklisted (unregistered)
can we change the color of the led lights in the transparent bars like the other xperia S , U
31. Andrew26 (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
what phone is bettr lg optimus 4x hd or sony xperia sl? and why?
33. rmarchon09 (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
I am confused about which phone to buy,the xperia U or SL. I also wanted to know does the xperia SL have the illuminating lighting elements like the xperia U? Please reply soon.
34. seopenkey (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 May 2013)
Sony Xperia SL is awesome phone. I am using this phone. The 3 thaings I love about this phone is it's display, processor and camera quality. This phone has a superb dispaly of 720 x 1280 px. It's processor is dual core of 1.7 GHz along with 1GB RAM. There are dual camera facility in this phone. Rear camera is of 12 MP Pixels Camera (4000x3000 Pixels) with Auto Focus and LED Flash and there is anothor camera in front of 1.3 MP.
I bought this phone at Rs. 23,000, but now this is available at Rs. 20,000 only at 91mobiles.com.
35. Price-Hunt (Posts: 5; Member since: 23 Nov 2013)
i bought this phone 5 months ago(got a great value deal from Amazon from price-hunt.com) its an amazing phone but only drawback i that it gets hang when u open message apps as I tend to install lot of apps which require some RAM for them to run constantly in the background.
To all the people looking for a good phone can go for this.
Awesome Camera, not doubt
HD videos clarity is wonderful (bravia engine)
can play all the HD games
Supports maximum apps available in play store