Sony Xperia SL Review
We have the typical for Sony Timescape UX in the Xperia SL layed over Android 4.0 ICS, and offering the recognizable multimedia widgets for controlling your music, pictures and video collection, as well as the Timescape feed one which integrates your social networking updates in one on your homescreen. The “Facebook inside Xperia” functionality is also present, and integrates your friends into your contacts list, your Facebook photos in your Album gallery app, and so on.
The connectivity switch widget has been slightly overhauled to rotate and become bigger when you tap on it, allowing you to easily select which radio to turn on/off. There is a Power Saver widget as well, for easy access to tweak the saving mode that automatically kicks in when your battery falls below 25%. You can time it now as well, telling it to come on when you go to bed, and exit Power Saver when you wake up, for instance.
The on-screen keyboard that pops up when you are trying to write a message is well-spaced, and functional, there is text prediction and Swype-like functionality built-in.
As for apps, Sony has provided a few to enhance the communication with its own ecosystem, like the Media Remote, which works with Bravia TVs and Sony Blu-ray players, as well as the PlayNow media service.
Processor and Memory:
The Xperia SL, which sports 1GB of RAM, utilizes a 1.7GHz dual-core Snapdragon S3 with Adreno 220 GPU to move the UI with its transitional animations and transparent backgrounds, and it does the job fine, despite being last year's tech.
Internal memory is 32GB, which is good, since we don't have a microSD card slot for its expansion. Out of those we have 2GB for installing apps, and 25.8GB user-available memory for your files.
|Quadrant Standard||AnTuTu||NenaMark 2|
|Sony Xperia SL||3218||7229||37,4|
|Sony Xperia T||4839||6925||60,1|
|HTC One X||4848||11024||47,4|
Internet and Connectivity:
The browser on the Xperia SL is decent because of the dual-core processor that renders scripts and pages quite fast, and also because of the very high pixel density of the display. Adobe Flash is supported, but not installed out of the box, and you can't find the latest Flash Player 11 version in the Play Store now, so you'd have to sideload it, if you need Flash for some reason.
The Xperia SL sports a 14.4Mbps HSPA+ radio and takes microSIM cards only. It also sports the usual Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, A-GPS, FM Radio, NFC, DLNA and has an HDMI-out port for hooking up a TV. The DLNA wireless streaming function is managed by the Connected devices app, as usual. The LiveWare app that allows you to program which application to launch when you insert various accessories to the phone is also here - you can tell it to start the music player when you plug headphones in, for example.
1. wendygarett posted on 03 Oct 2012, 07:16 15 0
Lets make this phones to James bond's girl :p
2. shandesilva posted on 03 Oct 2012, 07:33 16 5
surely this deserves more than 7!!....PA has been bought by apple or what?? this is ridiculous...so much for a fair review.
6. eisenbricher posted on 03 Oct 2012, 08:04 6 7
I think they got lost in the alphabet jungle of Sony.. t,j,s,sl,tx,p,u,v ~
10. sats.mine2k4 posted on 03 Oct 2012, 08:51 0 15
Actually no 7 is perhaps right
1. The best display in the market.
2. A very good camera.
3. Beautiful design.
4. Andorid ICS
1. 18 month old processor which when combined with Sony's custom UI makes for a horrible experience. You will need to root and install an AOSP build to bring it to usable.
2. Made of plastic... so build quality is not great.
3. Non-replaceable battery + no sd card slot...
26. spikie posted on 01 Dec 2012, 02:31 0 0
don't iphones have Non-replaceable battery + no sd card slot...
11. jan25 posted on 03 Oct 2012, 08:54 0 10
4.3, S3 chipset, abysmal viewing angles and still on ICS. 7 is about right. i don't know why would someone not consider the G Nexus or the HTC One S over this.
18. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 03 Oct 2012, 13:21 2 3
i dont know about the garbage nexus but maybe the one s for sure lolz
21. jan25 posted on 03 Oct 2012, 15:44 1 0
garbage Nexus? how deluded are you.
22. ilriz08 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 00:04 1 0
dude the only reason the nexus is more powerful in performance than the SL is because it offers updates straight from google. but the nexus has only 1 Ghz single-core processor
23. ilriz08 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 00:06 1 0
oops sorry wrong info it's dual 1.2 ghz as for sl's dual 1.7
3. brock8687 posted on 03 Oct 2012, 07:46 15 1
deserves a better rating thats for sure.... for what I have experienced, Sony phones are one of the most stable androids out there...... pity their marketing division sucks....
19. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 03 Oct 2012, 13:25 1 0
7.5 - 8 at the most i can understand this coming from PA....... i guess knowing that they are usually wayy off its "ok"...............long as they dont try and give the TX and V something like this im good
5. ryq24 posted on 03 Oct 2012, 07:55 1 8
another sony phone failing to pass the 4 stars mark.
7. camohan posted on 03 Oct 2012, 08:09 6 0
"In that sub-$450 price range you can't find many phones with the Xperia SL specs, so Sony is doing the right thing to attract customer attention towards what would otherwise be considered a lame upgrade." Than too just 7....not done!!!
20. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 03 Oct 2012, 13:28 2 0
dude i love sony but with 450 dollars you can get a One X, One S, an Evo 4g lte or if you're a tablet guy then you can get two nexuses with that kind of money............on ebay
8. kanagadeepan posted on 03 Oct 2012, 08:16 2 0
Let us hope the upcoming Nexus from SONY will get more than four stars (out of five)... SONY please bring an android phone with Xenon flash... There is very less competition for great camera phones in whole of the Android world...
9. oktopod3 posted on 03 Oct 2012, 08:24 2 0
i like the XS very much, but this pink one makes me wanna puke.
12. ruchi posted on 03 Oct 2012, 08:54 2 0
It is so much better than even galaxy s2. The display quality is amazing. It has 720p screen resolution. It's CPU is also faster than samsung galaxy s2. See the main three points here:
13. joaolx posted on 03 Oct 2012, 09:14 5 0
Those negatives points make this phone a 7? What the hell?
17. Zenith_95 posted on 03 Oct 2012, 10:17 3 1
Absolutely Agreed, and his Accent seriously P*ssed me off, seriously please, Change a reviewer like John V or someone else
15. Nathan_ingx posted on 03 Oct 2012, 09:38 0 0
Why is Sony making all it's Xperia phones look so much alike?
People are going to have a hard time figuring out which is which! Agree that it's a beautiful line, but still it don't feel so right.
16. rusticguy posted on 03 Oct 2012, 09:59 7 1
Do these "star" ratings really matter when the "bias" is so evident ?
25. jenna_23 posted on 11 Oct 2012, 18:06 0 0
I just ordered mine black of course no pink for this girl lol ;)
28. umarfarooqkhan posted on 16 Feb 2013, 16:55 0 0
Just bought SL and I MUST SAY .... AWESOME CELL PHONE.
1. Outstandingly attractive , I hear ppl saying check out the cell it so expensive you know
2. Super camera , but you need to know how to use the features apart from selecting the AUTO scene , if you can set your own req by changing the snap feature it can give you more then excellent results.
3. SOLID body
4. 32 GB is more then ENOUGH , so stop winning if it does not have an external SD card, i mean who needs more then THAT..lol
5. Great hands free which lots of Manufacturers like SAMSUNG Iphone SUCK at , come one you buy a 4-5 grand cell phone and you get those lame ass hands free ??
6. HD dsiplay
7. Perfect Video recording
8. Super Fast
1. Viewing angle is not that great
2. Battery not that good
One thing I love after buying a Sony is not everyone has it so you stand out in the crowd with your device and make other jealous, I dont know why ppl dont like the invisible strip, to me that was the main reason for buying SL, it makes it very Unique.
30. Blacklisted (unregistered) posted on 22 Feb 2013, 10:45 0 0
hey :) can you answer my question ....can we change the color of the led lights in the transparent bars like the other xperia S , U
32. umarfarooqkhan posted on 28 Feb 2013, 18:48 0 0
Nopes I dont believe it can, Maybe if you install a custom ROM then it would be possible
29. Blacklisted (unregistered) posted on 22 Feb 2013, 10:41 0 0
can we change the color of the led lights in the transparent bars like the other xperia S , U
31. Andrew26 posted on 26 Feb 2013, 06:02 0 0
what phone is bettr lg optimus 4x hd or sony xperia sl? and why?
33. rmarchon09 posted on 29 Mar 2013, 03:01 0 0
I am confused about which phone to buy,the xperia U or SL. I also wanted to know does the xperia SL have the illuminating lighting elements like the xperia U? Please reply soon.
34. seopenkey posted on 17 May 2013, 04:15 0 0
Sony Xperia SL is awesome phone. I am using this phone. The 3 thaings I love about this phone is it's display, processor and camera quality. This phone has a superb dispaly of 720 x 1280 px. It's processor is dual core of 1.7 GHz along with 1GB RAM. There are dual camera facility in this phone. Rear camera is of 12 MP Pixels Camera (4000x3000 Pixels) with Auto Focus and LED Flash and there is anothor camera in front of 1.3 MP.
I bought this phone at Rs. 23,000, but now this is available at Rs. 20,000 only at 91mobiles.com.