Sony Xperia P Review
0. phoneArena 30 May 2012, 09:01 posted on
The Sony Xperia P is the company's first smartphone to feature WhiteMagic technology. we are dealing with a reasonably priced mid-range Android handset with some pretty decent specs. The processor inside it has a couple of cores ticking at 1GHz, an Exmor R camera of 8 mexapixel resides on the unit's back, and a shell made out of anodized aluminum protects the smartphone's internals. We cannot hide that we have high hopes for the Xperia P...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. loken (Posts: 462; Member since: 09 May 2012)
first,, and btw this phone is good for the mid ranged... so if u want it go get it
17. Birds (Posts: 920; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I really realllllly reaaaallllllllllyyyyyy want one!!!!
2. loken (Posts: 462; Member since: 09 May 2012)
also why is it rated bad at gingerbread at launch.. the galaxy s advanced may never get ics but this fone mite
4. Commentator (Posts: 2088; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Probably because Gingerbread is over a year old, we're only five months away from receiving what comes after ICS, and "may never get ICS" and "might" mean exactly the same thing.
I'm surprised that this phone somehow managed an 8.5 with a year old processor, tiny screen, and outdated OS. The One S, another mid-range smartphone, uses the latest version of these, yet only managed an 8. But, if PhoneArena says so...
12. Nick_T (Posts: 123; Member since: 27 May 2011)
There is a considerable price gap between the Xperia P and the One S. This may not be true for all markets, but in the U.S., an unlocked Xperia P can be bought for as little as $435, while an One S starts at $520 unlocked. The Xperia P deserves its high score given the great experience we had with it.
30. loken (Posts: 462; Member since: 09 May 2012)
Looks at this phone now! Xperia P Has ICS :)
11. Nick_T (Posts: 123; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Because Ice Cream Sandwich has been out for so long, yet we have an otherwise great phone that still runs Android 2.3. Kind of like buying an ultrabook with Windows Vista. It may be weeks, if not months until ICS reaches this phone, and consumers do not like to wait.
Chances are that the Galaxy S Advance will get updated to Android 4.0 one day. Nothing is official yet, but since the Galaxy Ace 2 is getting Ice Cream Sandwich, it seems logical for Samsung to update the Advance as well.
3. Grishm (Posts: 52; Member since: 18 May 2012)
6 hours of talk time on 2G is far too low! I don't see any reason in preferring Xperia P to Xperia U other than a slightly bigger and brighter display. Worse, the price difference between the two is a whopping INR 8000.
6. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Xperia P is WAY better than that fail called the Xperia U - we're talking a much better camera, a whole different league of display, DOUBLE the storage.
And it has a premium, beautiful design and built - it's an aluminium phone!
5. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
This is the one android that matches the iPhone in terms of class and style - and kicks it out of the park in value for the price.
Brilliant package and the best phone Sony has produced so far imho.
7. Commentator (Posts: 2088; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I don't really follow Sony that much. Are any Xperias going to be sold in the US? I'd like to see one in person. They're beautiful phones, but are sadly behind the times as far as internals.
8. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Well, Sony is having big plans for US market in the future.
Since the Ericsson stake re-purchase in the joint venture, they are raising their ambitions with mobile division-it will be one of their core businesses.
What is confirmed for now, is the Xperia Ion release on AT&T soon(although that's a way too late, admittedly).
As for the bigger plans - i sense they are holding up some announcements for the Q4
And man, i can tell you Xperias are by far the most stylish android phones.
Xperia Arc is the best(in terms of sheer beauty) designed phone ever, imo.
51. cellabonez (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
i am from jamaica and my carriers dont sell sony and i certainly know you can buy a sim free version from their site , all the way
10. rg987 (Posts: 130; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
This is an ultimate mid ranger ,,,,, its sheer beauty and powerful performer in terms of specs
14. Jyakotu (Posts: 813; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
Even though the phone has Android 2.3 Gingerbread at launch and its a con, I'm glad with the score. It's a good looking mid ranged phone. :)
16. rsiders (Posts: 193; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Why don't new phones like Ice Cream Sandwich? I'm convinced that phones released in December will still have Gingerbread.smh
19. amaranth (Posts: 3; Member since: 28 May 2012)
Why the hell are they still selling phones with Gingerbread?
I wouldn't buy one, anyway, not with what ever follows ICS out in just a few months.
20. rrgmmrege (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 May 2012)
good phone looking forward to buy it......
do NFC tag come anolg with it ...??
coz many of the video on youtube show red and black NFC tags in d box it self .....
21. issy_i (Posts: 5; Member since: 27 May 2012)
People who got this phone, please lett us know how the battery performance is :)
i really want this phone but will only buy when battery can last atleast a day with light/moderate usage
phonearena sux becouse they skipped the most important thing in smartphones
>> REALTIME BATTERY LIFE
22. Hoopled (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
1. I cannot connect bluetooth to car hi-fi. Worked with every other phone I have had.
2. I cannot figure out how to delete emails without going into each one and deleting individually. Seriously...300 odd junk emails a day...takes forever.
3. I cannot connect to other devices on same wi-fi network. Yes...it finds them, then reports an error.
4. How do I add a picture of a contact that doesn't use FB?
23. Hoopled (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
Can delete batches of emails!
Still cannot connect to car hi-fi
24. rao97 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Jun 2012)
I love this phone. I think it's the best mid range phone right now. It has all the specs I need. The best thing about Xperia P is its design, its just really good. I don't have it right now but i will buy it soon for sure.
25. ppfrglrsh (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
so far sony is able to attract people by its so called "WHITE MAGIC" nd tranluscent element .At first glance its looks amazing & looks solid coz of its aluminium body. Moreovr going toward its specs
*pretty good 8 mp snapper
*got VGA cam in fornt (could hav had 1.3mp)
*1300mAH battery which the "MAJOR DRAWBACK "
seriouly if ur making a beast with 960 by 540 pixels nd BRAVIA Engine
*it has Gingerbread
wow sony is trying harder nd harder to f**k up its phone
nd moreovr they r not making "XPERIA SX" global which indeed a more better phone.
26. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Battery life is dreadful. Sony claims whitemagic is more power efficient but it's not. Moreover, it has some problems with black color. Really nice phone but battery life ruins everything.
Huge nits? Nokia did 1000 nits display more than a year ago. And battery wasn't so nasty.
27. kkrss (Posts: 1; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
it has a novathor u8500 processor , which is d weakest one around nowadays ...
is it still worth a buy??????
28. SamadKhan (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Aug 2012)
well guyes who think phone is good or bad... i purchase 10dayz before its running awesum
great camara for photos and videos
and no problem wid battery
afta 2 dayz i purchase i thout battery is bad coz only 6 or 7 battery backup
den i installed GO POWERSAVER frm android market
and now i dnt hav any problem wid battery
its working awesum am playing games and 2g internet
bt when we are using WIFI or 3G internet battery backup is less like others phones( its common think) wifi and 3g use more battery ... thnx SONY nyc phone ..
easy to put n hands.. and NFC is working great...
29. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Bought this for my son on his b'day last week. He switched from his Samsung to Sony now.
31. vignesh.ssv (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Cam pics appears yellowish. try taking an indoor pic of ur face alone with flash on.
32. matsosg1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
So if i buy this phone i can't change the battery?? and what is ICS? Thanks
33. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
i have it from 2mos now the phone itself is good ics out of box gives the battery life last for almost a day(depending on the usage of the user) but i consider myself as a power user that always connected via 3G and the battery last for about 10-12 hrs i highly recommend this phone for the price of it ,the built quality, design, multimedia, camera if 16gb is enough for you then theres nothing to worry. it runs very smooth though there are gitters at home screen every now and then but its not enough to entirely hate the device and it will not ruin the entire experience..
34. fouadwagdy (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Dec 2012)
i will buy this phone soon but iwant to know can i update his OP to ICS ?
35. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
im sorry what do you mean by OP? in xperia concept stores they are already selling an ICS out of box
36. jaygun (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 Dec 2012)
This phone has some major issues. I had it for 1 week and sold for bargain.
1. Very bad signal strangth. The 3G signals fluctuate always.
2. The battery is a pain. Cant even last 6 hours at regular usage
3. The call quality, which mentioned in the review as axcellent is terrible. the earl piece makes your ears cry in pain cus the very sharp conture of the top margine of the handset. The speaker is loud for sure but the sounds are too sharp and artificial.
38. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
the operating system is good i bought my Xperia p with ICS out of box and it works really well i bought it in xperia concept store the battery is good for me it last about 10-12 hrs with 3g connection i guess that depends on the user though camera is fantastic as well as multimedia i highly recommend the phone for the price as well as the quality.
39. camohan (Posts: 7; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Since it doesnt have a SD card slot,can the APK files stored in my Pendrive be accessed on the mobile thru OTG?
42. camohan (Posts: 7; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
New update for sony xperia p 6.1.1.B.1.75 is now available. getting this on PC companion, but nothing mentioned in the sony website ( as per sony website global latest software version is 6.1.1.B.1.54) nor any notification on update center in mobile for availability of update. Can anyone confirm?
43. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
nope it xperia blog confirms it! i also have that update but i haven't update my phone yet im still waiting for other xperia p users review im too scare to try it for i heard there are "FEW" who had encountered problem or did not fix any current problem they had..
44. camohan (Posts: 7; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Thanks reyner for your comment, i was about to update the phone but for now i would wait for xperia blog to confirm...!!!
45. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
the 1.75 software updte is already confirmed by xperia blog i aalready updated mine the only difference is it feels much snappier this time
it doesnt fix my previous bug though
46. camohan (Posts: 7; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
@ Reyner Any significant changes? And what do you meab by snappier?
47. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
in my device i dont see any significant changes except for that if feels much more smoother/snappier and sleep mode to save battery is bit more less consuming which is really good, compare to my last update. aside from that i dont see any major or significant change..
49. camohan (Posts: 7; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Just updated my Sony Xperia P (India) to 4.1.2. The update is superb.. for all those who cant update, pls update ur phone from Sony Update Service..It requires 580 MB of data to be downloaded so updating thru SUS is recommended.. Enjoy..!!!
50. lovingzana (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 May 2013)
i want this fhone..what price for this fhone
52. Apian (Posts: 8; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Great midrange phone,,
I think this phone had crap Batteray..
and not get KitKat OS, sadly..