Sony Xperia J Review
Behind the back cover of the Sony Xperia J is tucked a 1,750 battery, which is actually quite a lot of charge considering that mid-rangers rarely pass the 1,500mAh mark. You can expect getting some very good mileage with it as the handset is rated for 7.5 hours of 3G talk time. In stand-by mode, the smartphone will last for well over two weeks on a single charge.
Don't even bother, guys. We know that the Sony Xperia J seems like a worthy pick, especially since it carries a very reasonable price tag, but chances are you'll be disappointed by what you'll get in exchange. For a lower mid-range smartphone, the device has a decent battery life and a good-looking display, but that's pretty much it. The sub-par performance is really the deal breaker in this case, so our advise is to start looking for an alternative.
For example, give the Sony Xperia sola a try if you are looking for an affordable Android device from Sony, or just add a few bucks more and pick the Sony Xperia P. Both of them have better chips ticking inside them and can take photos that are actually pleasant to look at. The HTC Desire X is also a well-made mid-range handset with satisfactory performance thanks to its dual-core 1GHz processor.
Software version of the reviewed unit:
Android 4.0.4, Build number: 11.0.A.3.18
Sony Xperia J Video Review:
- Good display
- Relatively decent battery life
- Performance is below par
- Horrible camera
- The lack of light sensor means you have to adjust the screen brightness manually
- Annoying physical buttons
2. eisenbricher (Posts: 965; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Just yesterday I saved my friend from Buying this phone instead of Sola. Now he has ordered Sola :)
20. yusufk (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
what do u know about this phone........ sola is the waste,xperia j is far better compared to resolutions, camera n processin, u ruined his passion for mobiles,no need to be happy about ur s**twork
22. thunderising (Posts: 225; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
Xperia Sola is amazing dude. What the hell are you talking about
26. JohnDoe1337 (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Jan 2013)
You failed boy, the Xperia Sola isn't getting Jelly Bean, but Xperia J is.
In other words, you didn't help your friend.
4. Birds (Posts: 927; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I understand you are the Xperia-Knight but you have to ounderstand you can pick up dual core devices for the same price. lol It'll be ok. We all have faith in Sony...
12. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2964; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
On the contrary...i have to agree with Xperia- Knight. I think it could have been 6.
5 is kind of bleak...
5. sadaivadai (Posts: 156; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Considering the ratings from PA on Sony phones .. I am not surprised with this ..
5 is more like its a waste .. but at least this is worth considering its price .. should be given 6.5 for its design , battery and screen ..
7. ryq24 (Posts: 445; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
asia.cnet also give this phone a very bad review. sony still can't seem to get it right.
10. redmd (Posts: 786; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
OK so when did physical buttons start to get annoying?
13. Nick_T (Posts: 123; Member since: 27 May 2011)
They aren't, as long as they are well made. The J's are too tiny and don't click well when you press them.
16. KaloqnYo (Posts: 22; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
In the video you said It comes with a S4 chip but it's Snapdragon S1 !
11. hunted (Posts: 287; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
i really cant accept the score you have given for this phone. The galaxy s duos is worst and lags when you play temple run & some other games. It also freezes some time and you have given 7.7 for that piece. Why 5 for this? this looks pretty and comes with same configuration as s duos except dual sim. Oh the camera you said its horrible then what will you say about the s duos? This review is totally useless
14. FranksGT (Posts: 167; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
its horrible luckily to get a 5. Low PPI, horrible camera, bad proccessor and ram, low memory.
15. papss (Posts: 3462; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Strange... another over priced phone by sony. They need to get their sht together. Also they need a real flagship phone
17. KINGJUAN27 (Posts: 193; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
5 is a heart-breaking rating! so the cheaper XPERIA TIPO and MIRO got rated 7 eachhh, so those models are better than this pricey one?! can u re-rate this phone again?! there must've been a mistake!
18. KINGJUAN27 (Posts: 193; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
so i guess this is another ridiculously overpiced phone again :DD
19. abboud_eng (Posts: 2; Member since: 09 Nov 2012)
Xperia j is very good mobile its ten times better than galaxy s dous why its take 5 and galaxy s dous take 7 or 8 be more fair please
21. yusufk (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
guys if u are lookin for gud quality mobile within 20000, u can very well choose xperia j, its really too awesome for its price of Rs.16,500
24. tikiri (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
Guys I need help! I bought a sony xperia J and I put some songs into it. Now from the Xperia J how do I go to the music player???? Please reply soon!
25. mier009 (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
this phone really sucks// i purchased this device for about 2 weeks now and i have nothing but problems with this one// i went to the store and have them check my phone because the mp3 player is not resposding while it is lock// we already tried to use a brand new phone still we had the same problems// this phone brings nothing but problems
27. jasirmalik98 (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
Does Sony Xperia J have a flashlight when recording video?
28. jasirmalik98 (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
What are the DISADVANTAGES in Sony Xperia J?
29. BillZ (Posts: 2; Member since: 03 May 2013)
DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE - IT IS TOTAL RUBBISH!
the main issue is when typing in whatsapp messages when the phone is charging whatsapp shutdowns reopens, bounces from one contact to another, puts in random characters in the message.
I came from a samsung wave 525 using bada, i will destroy this SONY trash with a hammer and return to SAMSUNG or dare I say an iPhone!
THE SONY XPERIA J is the worst phone I have used since my last Sony Ericsson phone about 20 years ago.
DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!
30. BillZ (Posts: 2; Member since: 03 May 2013)
I have persevered with this Sony Xperia J for about 3 months and I cannot find a redeeming feature. other than is ability to totally frustrate the user!
|Display||4.0 inches, 480 x 854 pixels (245 ppi) TFT|
Qualcomm Snapdragon S1 MSM7227A, Single core, 1000 MHz, ARM Cortex-A5 processor
512 MB RAM
|Size||4.89 x 2.41 x 0.36 inches|
(124.3 x 61.2 x 9.2 mm)
4.37 oz (124 g)
|Battery||1750 mAh, 5.6 hours talk time|