Screen Comparison: Galaxy S4 vs iPhone 5 vs Xperia Z vs One vs Galaxy S III vs Lumia 920
0. phoneArena 28 Mar 2013, 09:42 posted on
The Galaxy S4 – the hottest Android smartphone right now... We're so happy that we had the chance to check this guy out early on! Not only did we enjoy it, but we also managed to get a lot of content done for you guys. One of the things we decided is worth checking out was how the brilliant 5" 1080p Super AMOLED screen compared against the other best screens currently available. You know, the usual suspects like the iPhone 5, Lumia 920, One and so on. Well, let us tell you this – the Samsung has done a wonderful job with the GS4's screen, although there's still room for improvement...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
50. hung2900 (Posts: 919; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Amoled Plus will be degraded faster, harder to produce and much more expensive which is traded off by the unnoticeable sharpness? This is more ludicrous
55. Captain_Doug (Posts: 976; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
OR you could just go with LCD. Problem solved.
175. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Amoled looks better IMO Amoled>Ips>TN, for accuracy IPS is by far the best though but Amoled has an eye pop effect with the saturation that I like more than IPS on phones. For bigger screens IPS only for me though.
88. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4250; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Well at least this new diamond Pentile layout is better than the previous Pentile.
Look at the second comment on that page, this new layout is very much superior. Also, I believe Samsung has said that roughly 260 ppi is the highest you can go with AMOLED without putting the display at risk, and they achieved that with the Note II. Any more than that and the display wouldn't last very long.
65. amro99 (Posts: 96; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
Hehe, you definitely wish s4 was the winner! That way im sure you wouldnt say such a thing
10. avin007 (Posts: 139; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Did the samsung engineers forget to up the brightness of gs4............. or has it sth to do with sm kind of engineering hurdles which comes in the way of achieving high brightness level on amoled screens......
15. hung2900 (Posts: 919; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Avoiding burn-in. It's still bright enough indoor, and low-refective screen leads to very good outdoor visibility.
Actually S4 and Note 2 are much brighter outdoor with automatic brightness. Samsung actually limits the maximum manual brightness for many reasons.
22. jan25 (Posts: 466; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
burn-ins and power efficiency are why Amoleds aren't as bright as LCDs. they can do little about it unless technology has a way in the future.
70. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
You can go really high on AMOLED if you want. I think some guy clocked his GS2 at over 600 nits but the battery died in minutes. But they can't really, the colours already appear too bright for some and if you up the brightness it would get even more ridiculously saturated.
I also believe that different ways to measure brightness on AMOLED displays exists that would give us a more accurate rating of the true brightness.
84. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
What about SLcd3 with IPS RGB AND AMOLED+550PPI 32 million not 16 ,,,?
117. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
more refined test..
go with the source of d article :)
14. Captain_Doug (Posts: 976; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
The screen? The OS? The features? Oh, you mean all of them.... I agree.
24. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Well, its just my opinion. And this is a screen comparison, you are off-topic right now. :)
28. Captain_Doug (Posts: 976; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Sorry. I'm in an argumentative mood. I'll go take a couple laps.
34. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Dude? Why? Just chill....., drink some cold soda and watch some comedy shows, then you will feel better.
36. Captain_Doug (Posts: 976; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I need the exercise anyway. I'm getting cabin fever from this winter which has outstayed its welcome.
42. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh I see, hope you will feel better. :)
12. sonisoe (Posts: 401; Member since: 06 May 2009)
anything else doesnt matter much but resolution, htc is waaaay ahead.. smoother but not fazed, just clear and sharp....
13. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Going off the resolution pics, I would say: One > Xperia Z > S4 > iP5 > Lumia > S3
62. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
The round subpixels of the S4 make lines look far more smoother than on other phones
118. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
18. ghanemsam (Posts: 64; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
HTC one has the best screen , just admit that iphonearena, samarena
19. Ninetysix (Posts: 2195; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
LOL the S4 can't display WHITE? What is this BS samdung.
20. Andrewtst (Posts: 578; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
As predictable, HTC One screen the best among the rest. :)
66. amro99 (Posts: 96; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
So many thumb downs for such a clear fact? Guys, samsung is definitely the best in somethings (e.g. marketing) but not in everything :)
119. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
29. eliasafram7 (Posts: 83; Member since: 18 Mar 2013)
but gsm arena said that outdoor visibility of the s4 is more better than htc one
30. windroid (unregistered)
My vote goes to the Xperia Z.
35. windroid (unregistered)
No need to thumb me down, my vote does not count for anything.
38. amats69 (Posts: 1255; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
another reason why id love to buy the HTC One..the Screen! id love the screen of my One X than my iphone 4s...
39. kingdtg (Posts: 9; Member since: 17 Feb 2013)
There Can Be Only One Tiger in The Jungle & Here It is Samsung Galaxy S4
114. Rishin17 (Posts: 24; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
But there can only be one king of the jungle
The lion - htc one :P
41. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1217; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
What happened to the Amoled lovers? Amoled is still my favorite because I love the bold and punchy colors. I don't want just realistic colors, I want colors that look better than real life.
46. Captain_Doug (Posts: 976; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Better than real life? If it's not showing you what the colors actually look like, it's lying to you.
56. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1023; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
and hows that gonna affect your life or mine? we know blue is blue, yellow is yellow no matter how washed out or saturated it is... if it looks good to the eyes, then why not? My toshiba laptop screen looks washed out compared to my htc one X... and i still love my laptop and does not affect my ability to recognise colours... in the end its all about personal preferences and yes i love the colour of the amoled because it looks good to look at.
120. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
49. dmn666 (Posts: 244; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
LOL - looks like GS4 has a super crappy display. I was never happy with the dim pentile GS3 display and GS4 is even dimmer! Look at those disgusting amoled white levels - pass.
52. babyk (Posts: 290; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Phone arena please stop being bias and just say that the HTC ONE has the best screen. Dont come give me that shate about iPhone 5 and HTC One are unsurpassed. Start promoting HTC where they really deserve it in screen category.
57. Tigon8 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
Wow xperia Z actually looks really good, check the zoomed into text easily beats the rest.
60. twens (Posts: 905; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
only phonearena will make the amoled screen look bad against the one and iphone5. gsmarena said the s4 screen was better than the htc one which is close or same as the iPhone. shame on phone arena.
121. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
even outsourced article praise the new amoled :)
149. covert (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
This russia site has been bought by Samsung and even russians laugh at the articles on those sites. So this link is not reliable.
61. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Those who still bitch about pen tile.. check out how smooth lines those round pixels of the S4 produce.
It's actually the most detailed screen out there
68. LordGabriel (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Just wait for IGZO display then all of them will be beaten.
69. Joosty (Posts: 54; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
HTC One screen dominating here with the highest PPI
Theres no doubt about that
71. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Samsung should just use LCD and an aluminum body special edition GS4 so the people have no more excuses. I would love to see how many mass suicides there would be on phonearena.
73. gaurang (Posts: 94; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
ph stop putting ip5 on level of the one in the screen test the one is a million times better than that 4 incher....