Samsung Galaxy Y Review
0. phoneArena 22 Nov 2011, 08:06 posted on
Entry level doesn’t necessarily mean a subpar device, and such devices often sell by the boatload. The Y stands for “young”, and means an affordable handset for teens or emerging markets in the sub-$180 price bracket. We also have a design that is not your typical cheap black plastic handset, but is this an event enough to earn big sales in the low-end Android range, considering it's always crowded down there?...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Perhaps it should be called Samsung WTF? The Samsung Exhibit II is a Galaxy W phone with 3.7" screen and comes with a 3 MP shooter and 4G all for $200 without a contract. The Samsung Y is going for $150?? Spend the $50 and have a better experience.
5. pegasso (Posts: 222; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
FYI, the unlocked / SIM-free Samsung i8150 Galaxy W costs about US$310 here.
9. tadi268 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
you must be a yankee coz in england and ireland it costs £70 plus a top up..... so i doubt its a wtf anf btw when it came out here it wasnt 150 it was 120 ish
27. frickinactionville (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
yeah.. we dont use pounds in ireland
2. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
The Samsung Galaxy Y, the phone that questions its own existence.
8. tadi268 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
no need for such a non nonsensikal and bland joke
21. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
....lame and retarded joke. nice try ''clown''.
4. mr_uzzo (Posts: 7; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)
f**k!!!!! galaxy y disappointed me. its battery life only last for 4 hrs(continuously use) and approx 80 hrs in idle mode...i bought dis phone last nov 19.
11. habagat (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)
attain the battery life of 80 hrs?? don't use it LOL hahaha... joke joke joke.... peace bro.
22. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
THE BATTERY LIFE DEPENDS ON HOW YOU USE IT! If you are the power user type, go get something like an SII or even One X or something, don't get such a phone, and power use it, and at the end say it sucks. my Wildfire S lasts for 4days (5mths old) and its still working and running fast. why? becuz i dun power use it, i mean, don't use it continuously as long as 30mins.
6. rosslechef (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
At almost 60 I have had mobile phones for 20 years . This is the most awkward , hard , dumbfounding and annoying phone I have ever had the disspleasure to own .After years of being a Samsung fan this one is for the bin .
18. Kuroneko (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I don't understand. Why buy a phone designed for younger people?
23. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
this phone does not suit you. thats why. its design for youngster, get it? and i would recommend you a Samsung Galaxy Note. that phone is the thing to suit you :)
7. bhosaleakshay2009 (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
hey guys will you be able to tell me when is android 3.0 & 4.0 is gonna come for galaxy y??
or rather its gonna come or not,...
plzzzz answer me fast...
10. KevinM (Posts: 4; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
I guess Android 3.0 for galaxy Y will not come cause 3.0 is used for tablets. I think the next version is 4.0 already. For the sony ericsson's case from 2.3 to 4.0.
12. saran (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
I bought this phone last week. user profile change option(normal,office,house) is not available in this phone(I checked). Only silent and flight mode available. How to change the user profile. Another one not able to set mp3 music for default ring tone. Its possible only caller ring tone.
30. nobuhl (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Nov 2012)
Changing the ringtone is a bit bulky but do-able. First you have to play the song you want. Ten click on the menu button and set a ringtone is an option. After that, your song will appear on the ringtone list. My problem is that to change an alarm ringtone, you have to first change the phone ringtone for that song to appear on the alarm ringtone menu.
14. disime (Posts: 3; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
i'm also a samsung galaxy y user for 1 month and i was dissapointed...
the battery life is too short but the charging hours is too long..
i'm hoping that samsung will make a resolution on this, better if they will recall all the units and replaced it with new battery with longer battery life..
32. nobuhl (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Nov 2012)
I'm not a power-user so to speak, but my battery can last up to 3 days when my 3g or wifi is off. When it is on, I get almost 24 hours if I'm using the phone a lot...but I'm sure that's only because my talktime is relatively low...airtime too expensive here to talk all day.
17. aravindan3 (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
guys for faster browsing on your sgy use opera mini browser
for apps and games for galaxy y go to galaxyyoungfans.blogspot
19. Kuroneko (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
This phone is good and I feel like it's a premium purchase considering it's price tag.
20. ymborrego (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
I'm between this phone and the Galaxy Fit which one is better?? I think battery life is okay for me since don't talk that much. Please a little help!! Fit or Y?? Thanks!!
24. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
WAITING FOR HTC WILDFIRE C/GOLF- a android ics 4.0 budget smartphone to come out! :) currently a proud and contended and pleased wildfire S user.
25. ymborrego (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
I was between this phone and the Galaxy Fit, and I ended up choosing this one, why? I'm not much of a cell phone user just for 10 mins. or less calls and yes I do use Wi-Fi, and Battery life suits me, it lasts 2 days until the next charge. I've only been a week since I got it and I love it. So, it's just a matter of usage, if you think this phone doesn't suite you don't buy it and look for another one that fits your needs and usage.
26. billlang (Posts: 4; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
this is so far my favourite phone since i ve replaced the stock battery on 1500mAh mugen battery.
with stock i barely got through one day, now i get solid 2 days between charges with constant usage.
i love the phone it is small and comfortable.. definitely worth more attention.
28. SoumikH (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
I bought Samsung Galaxy Y today, and I can't register for the Google Account. I tried everything, yet it fails to work. It shows something like "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server"
"This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call cutomer care."
I have a 2G connection, and can access Google, facebook etc.-is that the cause of the problem?
33. nobuhl (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Nov 2012)
Try ticking te unknown sources feature in application settings. The other setting you can tick if that one doesn't work is in accounts and sync settings. Try enablinb te background data there and see if it works.
29. bhimanshu (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
i m using this and it is satisfactory for its price , i got it for 6.4k last november
31. nobuhl (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Nov 2012)
I've learned to love the phone but hate the user manual. As a result, after 10 months I'm still learning features on this phone. Fortunately this is my first smartphone so it can only get better for me.
34. nobuhl (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Nov 2012)
Anyone who can help, please do:
I've upgraded my Samsung Keis. When I try to go to the apps store, I receive a message that i'm missing a plug-in. Does anyone know how I can find the plug-in they are looking for?